Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2017, 12:03 PM   #1

iRV2 No Limits Club
Triple axle vs dual axle 5th and TV

Can anyone tell me the differences between triple axle and dual axle toy haulers? I am looking at the Grand Design Momentum 376TH and the GD Solitude 374TH, pretty much the exact same trailer but the 376 has triple axle. Also wondering how having the triple axle affects the TV. Does having the third axle reduce pin weight of the trailer, and can you tow with a SRW vs DRW? These trailers are basically designed for loading a motorcycle or small 4 wheeler in, so there is not a substantial increase in weight. Thx for info.
yankeetom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2017, 09:15 PM   #2

Just off-hand, a triple axle has more carrying capacity of course, but the added axle can mean you have more weight margin than a double axle-using the same tires. With a double axle you may add tire weight margin safety by stepping up to 16" load range G tires, if your rims are rated for the added air pressure.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:48 PM   #3

Uuuummmm, all of the 374's I have seen are triple axel. They are rated at 20,000lbs which means they are using 3x7000lb axels.

The big difference comes in the package. The 374 is a Solitude where the 376 is Momentum.

They are essentially the same unit with different features. The 376 has larger tanks along with a built in generator.

The pin weights are within 50lbs.

To find out if you need a SRW or DRW you will need to know the specs of your truck. I am looking at the 376 and I will for sure be pulling with a DRW.

These units have lots of storage and lots of water tank. They have about 4000lbs of allowable weight and it would not be hard to hit that.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:48 PM   #4

My experience with a triple axle trailer was not so good. Every time you turn the three sets of axles want to keep going straight. You will be making some great rubber tire marks and buying a lot of tires. Mine was on a backhoe trailer. I sold it and bought a double axle trailer with dual tires. Night and day difference in handling and tire replacement. I would not go there again. Dave-R
Old 04-11-2017, 08:26 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, the big difference in performance is when turning corners. Tripple axle trailers have more weight capacity than tandem axle trailers, but they drag the tires around corners instead of the tires rolling around the corners. And that tire dragging means shorter life of the trailer tires. That's no big deal for an RV trailer that gets only a few thousand miles per year, but expect about half the normal tread life for tires on a triple axle trailer.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:43 PM   #6

Triple axle vs dual axle 5th and TV

Tandems drag too. Same for singles. It's all a matter of degree. It's why Load & Pressure Tables for tire pressure don't apply to trailer service.

Tridem pulls better than tandems pulls better than singles.

Resistance to cross winds is the tridem claim to fame. With a big box above them, this matters. Most loss of control accidents involve adverse winds.

Same advantage for braking.

Equipment or other flat trailers are an irrelevant comparison. The comp MUST have the aero problems of a TT to be relevant. Not weight, not suspension design similarities, etc.
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:01 PM   #7

towing with triple axle

It has been my experience that the triple axle trailers diffidently do tow harder..

All that being said... Usually you can get pretty much the same payload on a tandem axle set up within reason..

Pulled a several trailers with both setups. both loaded and unloaded.

I pulled a three axle equipment trailer loaded out Phoenix to Seattle that that pulled so bad that just north of Las Vegas I stopped and removed the front axle...Been building trailers and hauling others for 40 years..I did know how to do it.

Ill take twin axle any day over the triple... Just my experience
Rusty Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:25 PM   #8

I made a living pulling GN and 5th wheel equipment/flatbed trailers....tandems......tri axles.....tandem duals.
They all leave black marks/scrub marks going around corners when loaded.

The sweetest pulling trailer I've owned was a 36' 21k tri axle with 7k axles I hauled my jobsite steel on. With three axle braking (21000 lbs braking performance) it actually did a better job of stopping a full 21k gross load than my other 34' 22k tandem dual axle trailer with two 11k axles (22k braking) when loaded. Eight tires side scrubbing around corners leave a lot of black marks.

The biggest plus for me was straight line tracking in all conditions especially running I-40/I-70/I-80 with 35-40 mph winds out of the south, unlike my other tandem axles trailers regardless of tires on the ground.

Which one will you like....hard to say as it depends on axle location and frame flex issues with a RV.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote