Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2023, 02:02 PM   #1

Truck clunk sound

My truck makes a ‘clunk’ or knocking sound from the rear when I go over a larger bump or pothole at speeds above 10 mph. When I am towing our tt, it happens more often. It seems like it’s from the passenger side. Any thoughts as to what might be causing this? I checked the spare to make sure it was secure. The Bilstein 5100 shocks are just 3 years old. Are the leaf springs bottoming out?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2023, 02:24 PM   #2

Check your exhaust pipe is secure

RoadrunnerII
Old 04-24-2023, 02:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII View Post
Check your exhaust pipe is secure

RoadrunnerII
Will do, RoadrunnerII. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2023, 02:45 PM   #4

I think you are on the right track. Exhaust pipe could be loose. Also check the heat shield on the muffler.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 03:17 PM   #5

No, what you are hearing is the "slop" in the receiver hitch. That slop can be caused by up and down movement or forward and backward movement. In other words, if the hitch is not welded directly to the frame, but inserted into the receiver hitch, it has some give. And this is perfectly normal.

There are multiple posts on different forum on how to tighten up the slop in the receiver hitch. Some include inserting metal wedges and clip and all sorts of devices. Personally, I never found anything that actually worked. Hit a bump and the hitch shaft moves. It's just that simple. The only solution is to have the hitch welded to the truck. And even then, you may / and can / experience the coupler and the ball to bounce and cause some banging.
Old 04-24-2023, 03:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSpor View Post
No, what you are hearing is the "slop" in the receiver hitch. That slop can be caused by up and down movement or forward and backward movement. In other words, if the hitch is not welded directly to the frame, but inserted into the receiver hitch, it has some give. And this is perfectly normal.

There are multiple posts on different forum on how to tighten up the slop in the receiver hitch. Some include inserting metal wedges and clip and all sorts of devices. Personally, I never found anything that actually worked. Hit a bump and the hitch shaft moves. It's just that simple. The only solution is to have the hitch welded to the truck. And even then, you may / and can / experience the coupler and the ball to bounce and cause some banging.
It clunks with or without hitch. More often when I am towing. Unless I am towing the tt, I don't have the hitch installed.
Old 04-24-2023, 09:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat32 View Post
It clunks with or without hitch. More often when I am towing. Unless I am towing the tt, I don't have the hitch installed.
youre just going to have to climb under there and have someone drive it so you can observe.

jokes aside, if youve got a gopro or similar, strap it to something underneath and take a drive.
john1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 04:36 AM   #8

A 'go pro' is actually a good idea if you do not find the clunking easy. In the old days it would definitely be the exhaust system but in 2023 it might be the exhaust system, heat shield, the universal, the bump stops or even a loose shock that clunks more when you are towing.

With a 'go pro' you might need to focus on several parts as you test drive. And hope it is not something in the transmission.

If you do not have a 'Go Pro' this is a good excuse to buy one.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 06:56 AM   #9

It could be almost anything, drive line, shocks, springs, etc. Can you jack up the rear end? If you can, grasp the top of each tire and pull/push and spin the tires to see if there is any slop. After lowering it back to the ground, crawl under and grab everything you can get ahold of and wiggle. Nothing should move or thunk. As an alternative, take it to a good independent mechanic and ask them to take a look.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 01:47 PM   #10

Thanks for clarifying. Just for giggles? Do you have anything laying in the bed of the truck that may be bouncing around.

Agree with others. If it occurs with or without the hitch, towing or not towing, then something is loose under the truck.

I had a similar experience a couple years ago. I started getting a banging under the truck. It freeked me out. I stopped crawled under the truck and found a plastic / rubber guard under the engine was flopping. Turned out, the plastic pop-rivets they used to attach it had broken out. The last remaining couple, I ended up breaking off myself and got the cover out from under the truck. Next time I had an oil change, I had my mechanic re-install that piece. The truck had to be raised some to do it right.

So, you just never know until you get under there an look, shake and rattle stuff until you find it.
Old 04-25-2023, 02:19 PM   #11

Thanks, all, for the replies! I'll get the rear end jacked up this weekend or next. I will report back if I find anything.
Old 04-25-2023, 02:33 PM   #12

It's possible you could have a loose piston in the right side shock. Unbolt the lower shock mount, tie the shock back out of the way and go for a test drive. If your truck has a rear Anti-Sway bar check the bushings for looseness and or wear.
If you have someone bounce the truck while it's sitting still can you hear the clunking noise? If so, crawl under the truck to see where the clunking is coming from.
I doubt the rear springs are the problem if the noise is still there when you aren't towing your trailer.
Old 04-25-2023, 02:43 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a sister-in-law that has the same truck as you posed.

After 4 trips to the dealer to find the "clunk" at any minor bump, one really good tech found it to be the body mount at the pass side rear of the cab.

Of course, they were back ordered at the dealer, so we got one from Rock Auto.

20 minute install and no more clunk.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 10:41 AM   #14

Yup, cab /body mounts are most likely shot. Replace with silicone ones, like S&B. Don't use stock or poly one like daystars