Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2017, 01:56 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Truck Compendium

What I would like to accomplish here is simple. Post up links to informative web sites that inform anyone doing research for their next tow truck. Here's a site I will use as an example:
What Is The Best Diesel Truck Out There? | Big Thompson Diesel & Automotive

It can be make/model specific but preferably an independent site. It can be gasser or diesel. It can be about transmission upgrades or even forums that are truck specific to help current owners trying to resolve issues with their current rig. Heck, you can even include issues you have had and what you did to fix it.

Please no bias bashing of this brand better than that. Let's try to keep it informative and let the readers make up their own minds. Hopefully when we get enough good material here it will end up as a sticky because this issue is constantly brought up and trying to filter through the hundreds of posts here is like finding a needle in a stack of needles.

Here are a few more examples:
Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum
Toyota Tundra Forum
Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
Duramax Diesels Forum - Powered by vBulletin

So post up your favorite forums and links and see how far down the rabbit hole we can go with this.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2017, 02:22 PM   #2

I liked reading the annual Canadian Truck King Challenge - real world testing empty and under load.

www.canadiantruckkingchallenge.ca/

They couldn't get the 2017 F-350 in time for the 1-ton class, which would have been most interesting. They only test diesel in the HD classes (at least for the past 2 yrs) - I imagine because outside of fleet and workmen trucks, Cdns mostly go diesel when they buy HD for personal use.
Edit - The only fault I could find was that they tested the 3/4's with an empty 5er.
jonnyaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:29 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/
Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums - Duramax Diesel Discussion Forums
Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Yes, I know I am posting a lot of diesel links but that is what I am personally researching for my next tow truck.

My personal experience was with a 2004 Ford F250 6.0L. I bought the truck from Texas and drove it home. I thought I got a sweet deal until I found out that the dealership had done a bandaid fix on the head gasket to cover up the fact that 2 of the cylinder walls had been chewed up due to the common EGR failure. By the time I got it to the diesel shop here in Albuquerque I found out that the head gasket had failed again because it kept blowing all the coolant out of the coolant reservoir. $8000 later I had a "new" used engine in it that had a leaky oil pan. It would cost me another $2000+ to get it fixed because there was a cross member that wouldn't allow you to drop the pan. You had to pull the engine and flip it to get access. My fix was to trade it in on a 2006 Toyota Tundra and call it a day.

Even on 6 cylinders though that truck was averaging 18 mpg on the highway and would hall biscuits when you put your foot down. Now, of course, there are EGR and oil cooler upgrades that address the OE design failures available but it was my first experience with a diesel truck so I was too ignorant to know any better. If you are shopping for F250 diesels beware the 03-08 6.0L engines. If you smell coolant or the coolant reservoir is empty that usually means a new head gasket (one on each bank) and an EGR needs to be replaced. If you go that route have them check the cylinders while they have the heads off to make sure your valves are intact and the walls aren't scored. Have them put in an upgraded oil cooler as well as they are the source of the EGR failing. Don't use OEM parts for the EGR and oil cooler or you can expect another round of failures in about 50K miles.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:53 PM   #4

Congrats, love the word compendium!
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:05 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Congrats, love the word compendium!
Lol. I was impressed that I spelled it right on the first try.
And the obligatory link:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/tow-v...ors-89375.html
This is already a sticky but if you are researching trucks knowing the weight calculations is definitely something you need to research.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:19 PM   #6

Diesel Hub | Cummins, Power Stroke, Duramax Owners Resource

good for general info.
bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote