Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2021, 03:30 PM   #57

Move over

It’s more that the older people get, the more often people forget that the left lane is a passing lane not a riding forever lane, from state to state. ( no offense to use old folks )

And yes there is a lot of tailgating or pushers on the roads these days. Everyone seems to be in a rush to the grave.

Watched a small convertible pass a big truck on highway in Fl a couple of months back and truck moved over into slow lane and side swiped car with front wheel and drove her into ditch. She survived not the car.

Truck moved into middle lane to get by a bus broke down on side of road.

Slow down people, stay in slow lane unless passing then move back over.

Get there safe. Happy travels everyone
Dixidoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2021, 03:35 PM   #58

Trucking in America

Guy’s I used to be one of those truck drivers back in the 80’s and they dislike RVers because of driving conditions are different.
Everyone knows trucks are slow going up hill. A common issue is the RV passes the truck going up hill then drives 50 when the truck wants to go 65. This pisses them off, the time they could have saved means that they could get some sleep.
With the deregulation competition exploded forcing drivers to work harder for less money. That has created a whole new culture of truck drivers and not for the better.
ac7nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 03:45 PM   #59

Strange comments by the Pros on their CB radios yesterday, when passing an accident at MM3 just beyond the PA Welcome Center on I81. Two semis were involved in reducing the size of an SUV. Most thought it was less than half its original length. No glass was left intact. Didn't get a survivor report.
The previous Thursday morning during the torrential downpours along I81 a family of five was crushed to death in similar fashion along I81 S in W VA.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:48 PM   #60

Dear Tuffr2:
Your comment re: BMW drivers is ignorant, insulting and an untrue generality. I have owned BMW's exclusively since 1986 and your comment DOES NOT describe my driving.
You owe BMW drivers an apology. Don't bother apologizing to me, I will consider the source B J Ellison, Retired professional driver/BMW owner, class A owner.
jellison76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 03:49 PM   #61

Some people buy trucks now for the same reason they drive BMW's. It's an expression of their personality.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 03:56 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROUGHRIDER3 View Post
A lot of folks drive like rats running from a burning building, going like hell and switching lanes constantly! Seems most people are in a franic now days.
I am sure if you just tailgate someone you will get where you're going quicker!

I don't think it's about people being "frantic" I think it's actually more about life imitating art a/k/a people imitating what is popularized/glamourized in decades of influential Hollywood movies. For example... movies like (ie) "Fast & Furious" (etc, etc, etc...) absolutely has some effect on people/fans (many generations of fans) who end up imitating what they see on the silver screen, which often gets engrained in pop-culture and then ends up playing out in real life.
xWJKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:01 PM   #63

"Out on a freeway yesterday, I had my doors blown off by someone in a Mini who had to be doing at least 85 in a 65 zone."

LOL You haven't driven in SoCal obviously. That's SOP here.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:03 PM   #64

My first license was a class B, got my A's in 1982. I don't tail gate or never have. My wife and I drove team in our first truck we bought in 1984 for 3 years a Cabover GMC Astro. I have hauled most everything from baby wipes , milk tanker, tomahawk missile's to all the military equipment including the Abhrams M1 tank. Oversized 136' and over 250,000 lbs and loving it!! There is no curtsey or pride in most of the Trucking industry, flip flops and sweat pants is the professional attire. I still do an over the road now and again but on the down low looking for retirement in a few years. Fast food in every truck stop you go to it seems and its ok just to block the fuel island for as long as you go in to eat or even shower. Then you have the 63 mph governed truck race in two lanes of the interstate that I have been behind for 15 miles!! It's sad to say the least, an honorable profession at a point in history. I see no change in sight, self driving trucks are on the way.
wimpydjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:05 PM   #65

ALAS!!! MY feelings are: Over the last 20 years, in general, a high percentage of the drivers on the roads whether cars or trucks, suv's or motorcycles the skill level of MOST drivers is on a DOWNWARD trend, but the aggressiveness is very much on the RISE!!!

I am starting to think there would be many more accidents if it weren't for the newer vehicles with new driving assistance, skid control, 4 wheel driving, lane control, adaptive cruise control etc. etc. (even trucks now help inept drivers back up a trailer!)
I try to keep my nose clean and thank goodness I practice "defensive driving"
iliketorvtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:08 PM   #66

It does not matter what kind of vehicle it is.The driver of a VW can tailgate or cut you off just as easy.Trucks don"t behave badly drivers do.
Wild Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:09 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD104X View Post
Maybe so on the secondary roads but if you are in the left lane of a multi lane road then you aren’t being tailgated… you are failing to yield to faster traffic.
And unfortunately we see far too much of this. Sad to say often its RVer's trying to save a few gallons of gas or just afraid to go with the flow of traffic. Undoubtedly a hazard to all. :(
Mr Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:21 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredbutWorking View Post
I was once told that people that drive big pick-up trucks are compensating for the smaller size of their reproductive units.
That's the stupidest comment i have ever heard... Was that told to you in grade school ?
Mr Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:22 PM   #69

Tailgaters

If I have a tailgaters that I perceive is too close, I usually turn on the hazard flashers for a few seconds. Most drivers back off some, but some just get closer. I notice that more drivers tailgate when I ride my two wheeler. Not to be sexist, but the majority are female. I'm not sure why that is, maybe harder for them to determine distance.
When driving the MH in urban freeways, I usually drive one lane from the right side of the road. If I drive in the right lane, drivers will frequently cut in front of me to make the exit. Keeping the rubber side down.
scooteral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:27 PM   #70

My wife and I drive OTR AND we RV. Plenty of cars, cycles, trucks, semi drivers that could slow it down a bit. Cannot pigeon whole any one group. Distracted drivers are the worst. I swear cell phones are for population control!
Gdaddywack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver