Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2022, 07:11 AM   #15
M2D

I was just going through all of our service records for the truck. It was a year ago in September when we had the water pump changed so the whole cooling system got flushed out and new coolant installed. It was done at the dealership as Craig said that they could do it slightly cheaper than he could and he was right. That is the only repair we have needed outside of ordinary maintenance.

Getting off topic here but was just lining up all of our oil change receipts and other work needed to be done periodically. We have receipts/work orders all the way from Maine to Fairbanks Alaska. When the oil change light comes on we do it wherever we are. We have receipts from Moab, Utah, Las Vegas, NV, Cody, WY and several places in Florida. Crazy to say maybe but it brings back memories of wonderful trips.

M2D
M2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2022, 07:29 AM   #16

Get the 12v portable heater and put RainX on the inside of the windshield to help with fogging, and keep some micro fiber towels handy. Also, once you are warmed up and moving just setting the heater to the hottest setting on most vehicles will result in some heat coming through due to the cross flow ventilation built into all vehicles.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 04:49 AM   #17

you definately dont need a diesel specific mechanic to work on this one. id try someone that specializes in auto electric too. could be a bad switch, bad motor, or a bad wire somewhere. if youve got a multi meter and know what the voltage should be it would be easy to diagnose which. i replaced my blend door motor in my older super duty in about 30 mins.
john1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 09:02 AM   #18

Damien's diesel service Avon MASS
108 Bodwell St, Avon, MA 02322
(508) 588-5970
all they do is work on truck like this .
Old 12-27-2022, 11:18 AM   #19
M2D

Many Thanks to all, it was the resistor. Craig was able to get the part today and is almost finished putting the dash back together.
We will be good to go.

M2D
Old 12-27-2022, 11:43 AM   #20
Community Moderator

Glad you are getting it fixed!

But just in case others refer to this thread in the future…..
A 12 volt heater plugged into a power port is limited to about 150 watts. This is almost useless. A human body puts out about 100 watts of heat….you would be warmer to just invite 2 people to sit in your back seat for the trip ! LOL

A 12 volt blanket or seat warmer would make better use of the power if it comes to that.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 05:53 PM   #21

True story - 3 dog night. Yes, I had 3 doggies and during winter time I would turn off the heat and close the bedroom door. It would stay a comfortable 72 degrees with 3 doggies with me. The rest of the house would be 45 degrees in the morning but the biggest bedroom would be 72. This of course when I was single.

So I believe the human body produces 100 watts of heat.

Was going to recommend getting a lap dog and two others but the doggies breathing would really fog the windows. Don't ask how I know.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 04:41 AM   #22
M2D

We have a small dog traveling with us so a heat source. Mostly we were thinking that maybe a 12 volt defroster would help with the wind shield in case of fogging or frost.

Thank you to all for your advice,

M2D

Tags
heat, heater