Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2014, 05:17 AM   #1
6mm

Truck Horsepower

I will start by saying I am a Ford fan but with that said I will change brands for the best truck to fit my needs.
Also will say that we want more truck to do the job than is required,not a fan of just enough truck.

1- which truck has most horsepower,Ford,Chevy,Dodge?? (diesel engine)
2- I understand that a duly DRW will not fit in a auto car wash so how do you keep your truck clean??

We have a 2013 6.2L gasser SRW pulling a 34' Open Range Roamer.It pulls fine but would like more Horsepower.
Thanks
6mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2014, 06:46 AM   #2

hp keeps changing with the big 3. Wash the truck by hand or take it to a truck stop where they wash big rigs? How big a 5ver are you going to purchase? I would think a diesel dually will do the trick
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:45 AM   #3

Evergreen Owners Club
If you are considering new trucks, I think the big 3 are all close enough in horsepower that it doesn't make much difference. I happen to be a Chevy guy and my 2014 Duramax has 397 horsepower, which is plenty to haul our 40' 5th wheel.
I'm sure the Ford and Dodge guys can give you their specs.
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:49 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
If you are looking at a gas engine, cubic inches and torque are the numbers that you need to be looking at to tow with. If you are looking at a diesel, pick whichever of the big 3 that you like, the pulling power of all 3 is unbelievable, unless your trailer is over 20,000# you won't know the difference between the 3.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mm View Post
I will start by saying I am a Ford fan but with that said I will change brands for the best truck to fit my needs.
Also will say that we want more truck to do the job than is required,not a fan of just enough truck.

1- which truck has most horsepower,Ford,Chevy,Dodge?? (diesel engine)
2- I understand that a duly DRW will not fit in a auto car wash so how do you keep your truck clean??

We have a 2013 6.2L gasser SRW pulling a 34' Open Range Roamer.It pulls fine but would like more Horsepower.
Thanks
I would agree with previous posters that there really isn't a major difference between engine power/tow ability between the big three anymore.

As far as the wash, you really should avoid the automatic washes anyway since they're horrible on the finish but that's a different rant and not what you were asking. You always have the choice to hand wash with a garden hose (best option) or use a manual car wash. Manual washes are really just a drained bay with a pressure washer and soap, but duallys fit in most of them.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #6

Torque is a better measurement of available power than horsepower. At least for the diesel discussion.

Also you will notice that manufacturers publish available TQ values at a particular RPM - this is a good place to start your comparisons.

Adam
Old 10-02-2014, 03:31 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
How much horsepower is more? 25/50/100? Are you looking for hill climbing power or speed?

Diesel power is better measured by torque. Its the stuff that takes you up hills. Couple guys have stated in other threads that their Cummins will pull stuff up a wall if they have traction.

The new Ford diesel is supposed to be awesome.

Good luck with your quest. There is a solution for you out there.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:03 PM   #8

I would get and did the one that I like sitting in while driving. What's the point of having tons of HP if you aren't enjoying the ride. After that I'd get the one with the lowest price where I'd get the best deal. I have absolutely no trouble towing 9000lbs with my low HP 2012 Ram 2500. You don't need major HP to tow most anything sold theses days.
And I wash my truck in the drive way. Weird but it works. Kinda hard to pay some place $7.00 for a 1/2 a$$ wash job. Rims aren't cleaned right and neither are other areas.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #9

I wash my truck myself-been quoted 75-100 dollars for a wash.Works ok for me and its done to my satisifaction!!!
Old 10-03-2014, 04:48 AM   #10

Forget about horsepower when talking diesels. Look at torque rating and at what RPM max torque is achieved. I am partial to the Cummins but the Duramax is good too... Not a Ford fan, but more personal opinion than anything else.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:47 AM   #11

As stated, look at the HP/TQ numbers, but are you looking at a pickup only? What about a cab and chassis? They have different numbers and tow ratings.

I either go through a laser wash with my DRW, or hand wash it. I also maintenance it myself.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:14 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
I wash my truck myself-been quoted 75-100 dollars for a wash.Works ok for me and its done to my satisifaction!!!
In the Yuma area you can get your truck washed and hand waxed on site for $10.00.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:29 AM   #13

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
1- which truck has most horsepower,Ford,Chevy,Dodge?? (diesel engine) -
Go to the manufacturer web sites and look.

Wash it yourself.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:56 PM   #14

Just purchased a 2015 F-350 with second generation 6.7 l Power stroke Diesel. It has 440 HP and 860 ft lbs of torque. Comes with exhaust brake that works with tow/haul mode and a manual button on dash. This truck, in my opinion, is the best on the market. It will pull anything you hitch it to. I pull a 15,000 lb 5th wheel with it and it doesn't know it's back there. This is my 2nd 350, having owned a 2012 just like it. Try it, you'll like it, I guarantee!
Jimwelch01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power