Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2022, 11:58 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSalty View Post
OK Dave but you might be disappointed, no big numbers involved...

I have a 22 foot TT weighs in at 4700# loaded that rarely ever sees a campground or at least a campground with hook-ups... This replaced overlanding set-up where wife demanded a full bathroom set-up and more comfortable for cold weather trips... Larger TT required me to buy a truck as my Jeep could not tow it...

My previous gasser was a 2020 Colorado CCSB with the V-6 with 8-speed, I traded it for a 2022 Colorado CCLB with the 2.8L Dmax with 6-speed...

I choose the Colorado as it's 7000/7700# (gas/diesel) towing capacities fit my needs and the smaller, narrower size fit my trail needs...

The V6 is 308@6800 and 275@4000, trans spent flats in 6th or 7th depending on speed, wind direction etc.... in mountains with rpm 4000-5000, 3rd-6th depending on incline, etc. Lots of time hunting...

The 2.8L is 181@3400 and 369@2000, trans is 5th or 6th on flats depending, while 3rd-5th depending on incline, etc in mountains...

The new Colorado did so well on the last trip, that I getting things ready to leave in about 4 weeks for an Alaska trip...

I realize that neither my TV or TT are as large as what most of you travel with, but since both are downsized from the big rigs you may be driving the comparison of a matched TV/TT combo is still valid...
Thanks for the info; I'm sure it's useful for people comparing the gas vs. diesel in the Colorado.

Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2022, 08:41 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSalty View Post
OK Dave but you might be disappointed, no big numbers involved...

I have a 22 foot TT weighs in at 4700# loaded that rarely ever sees a campground or at least a campground with hook-ups... This replaced overlanding set-up where wife demanded a full bathroom set-up and more comfortable for cold weather trips... Larger TT required me to buy a truck as my Jeep could not tow it...

My previous gasser was a 2020 Colorado CCSB with the V-6 with 8-speed, I traded it for a 2022 Colorado CCLB with the 2.8L Dmax with 6-speed...

I choose the Colorado as it's 7000/7700# (gas/diesel) towing capacities fit my needs and the smaller, narrower size fit my trail needs...

The V6 is 308@6800 and 275@4000, trans spent flats in 6th or 7th depending on speed, wind direction etc.... in mountains with rpm 4000-5000, 3rd-6th depending on incline, etc. Lots of time hunting...

The 2.8L is 181@3400 and 369@2000, trans is 5th or 6th on flats depending, while 3rd-5th depending on incline, etc in mountains...

The new Colorado did so well on the last trip, that I getting things ready to leave in about 4 weeks for an Alaska trip...

I realize that neither my TV or TT are as large as what most of you travel with, but since both are downsized from the big rigs you may be driving the comparison of a matched TV/TT combo is still valid...
Impressive that the diesel has a deficit of 127 hp and tows better than the gas likely due to the 96 extra lb ft of torque at 2,000 fewer rpm.
Rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:43 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
Impressive that the diesel has a deficit of 127 hp and tows better than the gas likely due to the 96 extra lb ft of torque at 2,000 fewer rpm.
Interesting enough, in the average operating range of rpm while in the hills, about 4500 for gasser and about 2100 for diesel, the available power is only about a 15 hp deficit while the torque advantage is at least a 100 # advantage...

Few people will actually operate their gas engine in the rpm range where peak power is available and that over 4000 rpm gets loud in the cab...
OldSalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 02:43 PM   #46

This is a real pain, finding gas pumps you can get to
ChuckvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 03:11 PM   #47

Diesel for sure! The torque of the diesel is worth the extra money plus the diesel usually has the Allison automatic (which is the best transmission on the market). The diesel will get better fuel mileage with and without a trailer, but diesel is usually higher than gas if the gas engine can use 87 octane so the fuel mileage issue is a wash.

When pulling a load there is no replacement for torque! Also as mentioned the engine brake is a big plus!
Old 04-28-2022, 04:21 PM   #48

Just spoke to a friend who was pulling a 5'er with a F350 diesel. He sold both and bought a F150 ecoboost and a 24' Winnebago Voyage that weighs about 7k dry.
He went to pick it up in Iowa and transport back to SC.
They told me yesterday that they are selling it right away. They said the truck is way too light and he got jerked around with winds.
I also have another friend who has the newer Ram 1500 truck to pull a Imagine 22MLE. He pulls it through the NC mountains. He tells me that he wishes he had the 2500 diesel. He already went through a transmission at around 50k miles.
Now...I understand that one man's experience means nothing. I also understand that a $3500 anti sway hitch, air bags, tranny cooler, etc... can make a difference. But I also realize that nothing substitutes the right tools for the job and that means overkill sometimes.
As I said earlier, I had the exact same decision to make this year. As for me personally, I have enough to worry about as a newbie camper taking long long trips during the summer. I didn't want to stress over my towing experience being white knuckle.
Everyone is different and use thier TT's in different situations. This isn't a passing contest and only a child thumps their chest because of their tow rig...
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 02:21 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
Just spoke to a friend who was pulling a 5'er with a F350 diesel. He sold both and bought a F150 ecoboost and a 24' Winnebago Voyage that weighs about 7k dry.
They told me yesterday that they are selling it right away. They said the truck is way too light and he got jerked around with winds.
I also have another friend who has the newer Ram 1500 truck to pull a Imagine 22MLE. He pulls it through the NC mountains. He tells me that he wishes he had the 2500 diesel. He already went through a transmission at around 50k miles.
Now...I understand that one man's experience means nothing. I also understand that a $3500 anti sway hitch, air bags, tranny cooler, etc... can make a difference. But I also realize that nothing substitutes the right tools for the job and that means overkill sometimes.
As I said earlier, I had the exact same decision to make this year. As for me personally, I have enough to worry about as a newbie camper taking long long trips during the summer. I didn't want to stress over my towing experience being white knuckle.
Everyone is different and use thier TT's in different situations. This isn't a passing contest and only a child thumps their chest because of their tow rig...
You are indeed a newbie camper. 7K dry ? What does that even mean when you load it up and go camping ? Nothing. Your friend should have known better than get a camper too large for his TV.
Old 04-29-2022, 09:15 AM   #50

Quote:
I'm not surprised in the least but your friends issues have more to do with overloading a half ton pickup than they do with diesel vs. gas.......they'd have both been just fine with a gas HD 3/4 or 1 ton....

Dave
Old 04-29-2022, 11:19 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperLifer View Post
You are indeed a newbie camper. 7K dry ? What does that even mean when you load it up and go camping ? Nothing. Your friend should have known better than get a camper too large for his TV.
Why are you being a smart ass with me? He didnt go camping. The TT was dry and well under the trucks rated capacity. I'm just stating a couple situations and ended my comment with get the right tool for the job. What specific issue you have with my comment?
Old 04-29-2022, 11:26 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
I'm not surprised in the least but your friends issues have more to do with overloading a half ton pickup than they do with diesel vs. gas.......they'd have both been just fine with a gas HD 3/4 or 1 ton....
Dave
According to him, he was well within the trucks tow capacity. Supposed to be 11,300 pounds. Remember, it was new off the lot and he was pulling it dry so it weighed just under 7k.
But again...my point is everyone's experience is different depending in many factors. But one thing for sure is that you can never have too much truck for the job.
I think the OP is wondering about which power plant to buy. Me personally, I would always buy more power and torque than needed if I'm buying a vehicle anyway. But, I also wouldn't buy a new stronger diesel vehicle if I already had a gasser that could do the job.
Old 04-30-2022, 06:29 AM   #53

Quote:
According to him, he was well within the trucks tow capacity. Supposed to be 11,300 pounds. Remember, it was new off the lot and he was pulling it dry so it weighed just under 7k.
But again...my point is everyone's experience is different depending in many factors. But one thing for sure is that you can never have too much truck for the job.
I think the OP is wondering about which power plant to buy. Me personally, I would always buy more power and torque than needed if I'm buying a vehicle anyway. But, I also wouldn't buy a new stronger diesel vehicle if I already had a gasser that could do the job.

I think your friends bad towing experience had more to do with the type of trailer not the load they were pulling.
The reason most people that choose a 5th wheel is it's natural stability. There are a lot of little things that can make a TT handle poorly. With a 5th wheel, it usually takes a big thing to handle poorly!
Take a 1/2 ton, and overload it with a TT and not only is it overloaded, but most likely will handle poorly.
Take the same 1/2 ton and put a 5th wheel that overloads it, yes, still overloaded, but it will likely still handle just fine.
It is all about the physics of how the load of the hitch weight of both act on the tow vehicle.
The TT has a 3' to 4' leaver acting on the rear of the TV, where with a 5th wheel there is usually zero leaver, maybe 2 inches, so you don't get the actions of the trailer affecting the handling of the TV.
Rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 11:01 AM   #54

'Just Fine' is really what someone is comfortable with. What is fine for some pro drivers on this forum is not 'just Fine' for me. I like when someone is a Newbie and someone on the forum says it is ok to max out the rear axle. I driven trucks that were maxed out and did not like the the truck felt under max weight.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 03:34 PM   #55

There are people that go thru life living on the edge. RV's are a luxury item. If you want a big trailer get a big Tow Vehicle. Gas or diesel will work and is a personal decision. My Tacoma pulled my 17' Casita but my F250 Diesel pulls my 25' Airstream even better.
capt who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 11:36 PM   #56

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I made two changes in 2017 - first trading my 2500 gasser for a 2500 diesel and getting a new TT that was larger and heavier than my last one. I have not looked back - the new truck is awesome - way better MPG both towing and non towing - larger fuel tank, longer range and the ability to handle an 8000 lb TT with ease both up and downhill. The lower RPM torque makes the cab much quieter than the 4000 scream of the gasser. I have no issues with DEF or regen cycles and everything else has worked great.

Tags
diesel, gas