Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2020, 07:59 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduckie View Post
I live in farm country so plenty of scales, also in law enforcement so have access to jump scales. Need the 2021 Fords to come out. Had an article on internet that said they are increasing the F-350 payloads for 2021.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swavescatter View Post
I think they'll always incrementally increase payloads for bragging rights. However the towing experience will not change significantly.

My buddy had a triple axle toyhauler like you wanted. He bought a new F350 to tow it and would not admit it was too much for him. He struggled with the setup for a season, then quietly sold the toyhauler for a smaller Lance. Now his wife just follows towing the toys in a utility trailer.

For him, the reality check was to choose between a dually and a toyhauler.

Just because your truck can LEGALLY tow something doesn't mean it'll be safe or fun...

I'd go long bed F350 specd for heavy towing and stay under 15k lbs. Just my two cents...

This is getting scary as far as SRW 350/3500's!

In 2013 Ram took a big step and increased their 3500 DRW from 12,300# GVWR to 14,000# GVWR. At the same time they increased their 3500 SRW from 11,500# GVWR to 12,300# GVWR that same as the previous model year. I believe that Ford now list the GVWR of their SRW F350 at 12,400#, there is a point where you are carrying just too much weight of two rear tires.

Quote:
Daily driver. Work downtown Cleveland. One hour twenty minute drive to work. Will not fit into parking garage. Wife hates to drive my F-150 she would never drive a DRW, and I would not trust her to drive it.

Well drive in the city as little as possible, I am retired now, but doesn't bother me. Depends on the parking garage. I have parked in several, always back into the space, so the hips are out of the way.

Your Truck your needs.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2020, 08:16 AM   #58

Quote:
Daily driver. Work downtown Cleveland. One hour twenty minute drive to work. Will not fit into parking garage.
You might want to try driving a full size into your parking garage at work. 30 plus years ago I bought a Ranger rather than a full size because I went into a lot of downtown parking garages. It really depends on the garage. At the time there was one that was tight with my Mazda RX/7 (the vehicle I was trading in).

Anyway, when I test drove my truck I brought it home during a test drive to make sure it would fit in my garage. Not unreasonable to try that at work.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:04 PM   #59

Quote:
I get the Montana is out, don’t want dual axel truck. Trying to figure out how large a fifth wheel I can tow with F-350 single axel.
We had a 2014 F350 SRW and towed a 2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 trailer. The truck was a Platinum edition and had a hard folding bedcover, a 50gallon Titian replacement tank and a 250lb PullRite super glide hitch. Trailer had the washer/dryer option. When loaded for travel, we were 300lbs over weight at 11,800lbs vs truck rate of 11,500. We never towed with anything in the fresh or waste water tanks and if we did, would certainly have been further overweight. 1st year we had this setup, we towed over 10,000 miles with no issues. Dallas, up through Custer, Yellowstone, Glacier, Tetons, Utah, Colorado, up and down some pretty good inclines. Never felt like the truck couldn't handle it. I figure with out the big slider hitch or the additional fuel from the bigger tank or without the washer/dryer option, I would have been just under max GVRW for the truck. If you used an Anderson Ultimate hitch, you'd gain 200lbs of capacity right there. The additional fuel capacity equated to almost another 250lbs. When the truck was damaged in an accident, I took the opportunity to move up to a F350 dually. 5200lbs of cargo capacity, so no issues at all with the current trailer.

Dry weight of our trailer is stickered at 12,910 lbs
Cat scale weights with the F350SRW:
Steer Axle: 5060lbs loaded vs. 5060llbs empty (5600lb capacity)
Drive Axle: 6740lbs loaded vs 3860lbs empty (7000lb capacity)
Trailer: 11,040 lbs

So our trailer weighed 13,920lbs ready to tow (11,040+ 6740-3860). This a 21% pin weight ((6740-3860)/13920). As you can also see, both axles were below max capacity also.

One other thing to think about is our old (and new) truck/trailer combo but us over 26,000lbs combined max weight and thus requires a non comcerical Class A license in Texas. Just something else to think about. Hope all this helps.
Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:38 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsykora View Post
We had a 2014 F350 SRW and towed a 2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 trailer. The truck was a Platinum edition and had a hard folding bedcover, a 50gallon Titian replacement tank and a 250lb PullRite super glide hitch. Trailer had the washer/dryer option. When loaded for travel, we were 300lbs over weight at 11,800lbs vs truck rate of 11,500. We never towed with anything in the fresh or waste water tanks and if we did, would certainly have been further overweight. 1st year we had this setup, we towed over 10,000 miles with no issues. Dallas, up through Custer, Yellowstone, Glacier, Tetons, Utah, Colorado, up and down some pretty good inclines. Never felt like the truck couldn't handle it. I figure with out the big slider hitch or the additional fuel from the bigger tank or without the washer/dryer option, I would have been just under max GVRW for the truck. If you used an Anderson Ultimate hitch, you'd gain 200lbs of capacity right there. The additional fuel capacity equated to almost another 250lbs. When the truck was damaged in an accident, I took the opportunity to move up to a F350 dually. 5200lbs of cargo capacity, so no issues at all with the current trailer.

Dry weight of our trailer is stickered at 12,910 lbs
Cat scale weights with the F350SRW:
Steer Axle: 5060lbs loaded vs. 5060llbs empty (5600lb capacity)
Drive Axle: 6740lbs loaded vs 3860lbs empty (7000lb capacity)
Trailer: 11,040 lbs

So our trailer weighed 13,920lbs ready to tow (11,040+ 6740-3860). This a 21% pin weight ((6740-3860)/13920). As you can also see, both axles were below max capacity also.

One other thing to think about is our old (and new) truck/trailer combo but us over 26,000lbs combined max weight and thus requires a non comcerical Class A license in Texas. Just something else to think about. Hope all this helps.

Forgot to mention: the Cedar Creek 36Ck2 is 40ft long and has a max weight of 16,500lbs with 12,900lb dry weight for a total of 3600lbs of cargo capacity.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:50 PM   #61

Quote:
Forgot to mention: the Cedar Creek 36Ck2 is 40ft long and has a max weight of 16,500lbs with 12,900lb dry weight for a total of 3600lbs of cargo capacity.
I presume the 12,900 you provided is brochure or website weight. What is the dry weight listed on the sticker on the side of the trailer? That "should" be what it weighed as it left the factory. Then of course you have to add the weight of the batteries, propane and any other dealer or operator added equipment, (slide awnings, extra televisions, etc). That becomes the true empty weight.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:12 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
I presume the 12,900 you provided is brochure or website weight. What is the dry weight listed on the sticker on the side of the trailer? That "should" be what it weighed as it left the factory. Then of course you have to add the weight of the batteries, propane and any other dealer or operator added equipment, (slide awnings, extra televisions, etc). That becomes the true empty weight.
No, I got the 12,910lb "dry weight" from the sticker on the trailer. So my total amount of everything else I put in the trailer (washer/dryer, food, clothes, assorted "stuff") is right at 1,000lbs, for my total wet weight of 13,900lbs.
Old 11-01-2020, 03:54 AM   #63

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Quote:
Looking to buy a Montana 381TH-HC Stock #204880. Dry weight is 13,610. Will haul with Harley Ultra Limited, 900 lbs in the toy hauler compartment. Looking at Ford truck. Do I need F-250 or F-350? In addition what rear axel gear ratio do I need?

Thanks
Read the ford towing specs. Dont listen to all the expert wanna be's and salesmen.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:30 AM   #64

Quote:
No, I got the 12,910lb "dry weight" from the sticker on the trailer. So my total amount of everything else I put in the trailer (washer/dryer, food, clothes, assorted "stuff") is right at 1,000lbs, for my total wet weight of 13,900lbs.
Your'e good. I asked because many quote the brochure weights and those can be way off. When I did the loading of the "permanent" gear in the newest trailer, I weighed each box going in. It was tedious and sometimes a PITA but I had a good accounting of what was there. When I did hit the scales on a trip in a fully loaded condition I didn't get any ugly weight surprises except I wasn't getting the weight transfer I had counted on. I'm talking toy hauler and the weight shift off the pin with motorcycle, tools, gear all in the garage. Thus the new truck in the signature line. I was OK in weights but NO margin and didn't want to cut back fuel in the aux tank in order to carry some fresh water.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:37 AM   #65

Final Payload Note

It sounds like you are going to go as heavy as the truck you choose allows.
Since this is the case, note that the '150 lb. driver' is not included in the door sticker payload capacity as I saw stated in a previous post.

When publishing the tow rating, manufacturer's include the driver, but not when calculating the vehicle's payload.

The payload sticker value is the weight of the vehicle as it left the assembly line (including the weight of a full tank of gas) subtracted from that vehicle's listed GVWR.

You can see then that payload capacity is a fluid number....it varies as you add things/remove things from the truck. It will always be GVWR - Vehicle Weight.

This is why it's helpful to load up your vehicle for camping...full tank of gas, all passengers, pets, gear etc. and have it weighed. Subtracting this from your truck's GVWR will give you an accurate measurement of what 'payload' you have left for pin weight.
mistercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:25 AM   #66

Quote:
Air bag suspension, is it worth the price?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Air bags aid in leveling rear squat
Rear squat....is that due to soft springs OR from too much weight??
Air Bags do NOT had ANY weight 'carrying' capacity

If looking at factory, I believe only Ram offers factory air ride in a HD pickup truck.
Last I looked it was about a $1,500 option, I believe it makes for a bit softer ride unloaded.

Your comment about DW not liking to drive the F150, what do you think she will think about a F350 SRW, CC, long bed, the high GVWR package likely only comes with a long bed.
If you really want a large 5er, you need a larger TV to tow it comfortably. We, DW and I daily drive a Ram 3500 CC, LB, DRW. You will get use to the size. Parking garage well spoke to that before it depends, ramps or spiral exit?
The SRW I was looking at had about 4,200# of payload, our 5er has a 2,700# pin, leaving me 1,500# of payload, UNTIL we add the hitch, DW, me over 150#, and my in bed tool box with stuff. That accounts for about 1,400#, now at 100# of payload left. This is with a 32' 12,500# or so 5er.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:46 AM   #67

Rubber duck,

I just upgraded to a duel wheel GM 3500 , I have been towing a 42' redwood that went across the scales at 16,800lbs loaded (pin weight of roughly 3600 lbs). I was over loaded with my SRW 3500 diesel crew cab 4x4 on my rear axle. If your considering getting a truck I suggest using a DRW 350 with a diesel BUT at a bare min you need a SRW 350 with a 7.3L gas motor and 4:10 or 4:30 gears with the gas motor . Your issue will be the rear tires will be close to max load on a single wheel truck once you get it loaded up with gear ,battery's , propane and water. DONT make the common mistake of looking at shipping weights YOUR never going to be that light. Use the gross trailer weight rating ( in your case its most likely 16,000 or higher then multiply that by 22-24% that should get you really close to your pin weight then add your hitch weight to that number. As long as your under your Ford suggested payload numbers for the truck your buying then Yes its fine ,However i would suggest you factor in a 10-15% safety margin for Payload and gross towing compacity base on the exact truck you want to buy.

My feeling is that your better off with DRW 350 but you can get by with a heavy spec SRW 350. Gas trucks have higher payload ratings then diesel but they don't pull hills like diesel . A F450 is over kill in my opinion unless you see upgrading your RV to something in the 18,000 LBS gross trailer weight + range.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:55 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc-mark View Post
DONT make the common mistake of looking at shipping weights YOUR never going to be that light.
What about pin weight with a toyhauler? Couldn't that be lighter if the back end were fully loaded up to its max toy weight limit?

Not that I'd want to count on always having something heavy in the back to counter the weight of the trailer and not having anything else in the trailer up front. I like to have a vehicle that can tow in all circumstances. I'm just addressing the point about the weight never being lighter (and realizing you were also talking about GVW).
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:26 PM   #69

1ton

Based on my personal experience but a truck 1 step up from want you might think. The TV payload capacity it critical. Get a 1 ton or larger truck. F350 or 3500HD.
Sturdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:54 PM   #70

Smile Truck size

I'm pulling a Columbus 41 Ft. I started with a 2008 F350 6.4 dual. Going up to Asheville NC on I40 it lack power, going to Texas the trailer weight was about 16,000 pounds. Going around a turn I was lucky running the required Michelin tires for the truck factory data plate. Factory suspension unchanged. The trailer pushed me from the right lane into the middle of the next lane. When we got to Texas, My wife asked if i wanted to go truck shopping, I said why are OH yes. We first stopped at a GMC show room. They showed us a 2019 Denali. Equal to a F350 I wanted heaver. They said did not have anything equal to a F450. Off I went to a Ford dealership and bought a F450 King Ranch 2019. It is no slouch in the mountains or flat lands. I use it just like a second car for doctor appointments and shopping. The weight of the truck is almost the same as the trailer. Truck when pulling holds it own on curves.
EdONeill5er is offline   Reply With Quote