Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2012, 03:41 AM   #29

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
So, if you email Michelin and ask them if the XPS Rib tire is a trailer tire they will say no.
Have you e-mailed them? I have, and their response was to the effect that the XPS Rib is an excellent choice as a trailer tire IF their limited fitment range (they are only available as a 16" tire) will meet my needs. If you like, I'll go back and dig out the e-mail when I get to work later today.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2012, 07:08 AM   #30

Texas Boomers Club
Here's the text of the e-mail I received from Michelin:

Quote:
Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

Obviously the utilization of the XPS Rib tires are limited, as they are only manufactured in 16" sizes, LRE (10 ply) versions. It is an all steel radial casing design and strength, making it long lasting, durable and also retreadable. In its class nothing better, excellent for a commercial trailer tire.

The only drawback (we see you are in Houston) it is NOT an all season tire. The XPS Rib is highly recommended for your application!

Mike T.
Michelin North America
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert
If, for some odd reason, someone wanted all season tires on their trailer, the XPS is also available as the XPS Traction with a more aggressive tread pattern.

Rusty
Old 05-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
BTW that 60 MPH speed limit is for commercial vehicles only not private owned trailers.
In Washington State, the truck speed limit applies to travel trailers if you are over a certain weight and it is a fairly low weight. I checked with the Wa state patrol after hearing of a guy getting a ticket for driving over 60 mph on the interstate. I do not know what the law is in other states but that is what it is here.
KOTR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Here's the text of the e-mail I received from Michelin:
Quote:
Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

Obviously the utilization of the XPS Rib tires are limited, as they are only manufactured in 16" sizes, LRE (10 ply) versions. It is an all steel radial casing design and strength, making it long lasting, durable and also retreadable. In its class nothing better, excellent for a commercial trailer tire.

The only drawback (we see you are in Houston) it is NOT an all season tire. The XPS Rib is highly recommended for your application!

Mike T.
Michelin North America
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert
If, for some odd reason, someone wanted all season tires on their trailer, the XPS is also available as the XPS Traction with a more aggressive tread pattern.
Rusty

What application is that? Did you explain it to them? Any DOT certified tire can be used on the RV trailer axle provided it fits the application envelope. That envelope is found on each individual trailer's certification information. For instance; The RV trailer came equipped with ST tires with a load capacity of 3420# @ 80 psi on 6000# axles as depicted on the certification label. Michelin reps would not approve that application with any of the XPS Rib tires.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:50 AM   #33

Texas Boomers Club
Mine was a general question to Michelin about the acceptability of the XPS Rib for use on towable RVs since individuals were citing that it is not currently recommended by the Michelin XPS webpage as a commercial trailer/RV tire as it had been previously.

I don't believe you've ever seen me advocating installing a lesser-rated tire insofar as load capacity is concerned. If one is switching from an ST to an LT tire, the tire should, at a minimum, meet the axle load rating requirements shown on the manufacturer's VIN/GVWR/GAWR sticker on the 5th wheel or TT, even if this means upgrading the LT tire's size or the tire/wheel load range. Our 5th wheel came with 3750 lb @ 110 PSIG rated tires; the tire/wheel package on it now is rated for 4805 lb per tire @ 120 PSIG on 7000 lb Dexter axles. The manufacturer rates the GAWRs at 7000 lbs per axle, as he should based on the design limitations of the axles.

My personal experience with the XPS Ribs was as a replacement for the Goodyear Wrangler HT (LT235/85R-16 LRE, 3042 lbs @ 80 PSIG) tires that were OEM supplied on our previous 5th wheel. The XPS Ribs (same size and load rating) ran significantly cooler than the fabric-and-steel Goodyears, gave years of trouble-free service and were still on the RV when we sold it.

Rusty
Old 05-22-2012, 07:52 AM   #34

Tire Size Update

Update to previous message. Forgot to put new tire size.

I went with BF Goodrich Commercial tires.

T/A All Season LT225/75R16 LRE M+S

Speed Rating Q = 99 mph.

Had a years use. Didn't lose any air since they were put on.

Haven't had any problems
Zanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #35

I just installed four new Michelin XPS Rib 235/85 16 on my 5er. These new tires give me a feeling of safety that I never felt with the Chinese ST tires that came with my 5er. They were expensive but worth it for the sense of safety.
ajlcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #36

Quote:
My personal experience with the XPS Ribs was as a replacement for the Goodyear Wrangler HT (LT235/85R-16 LRE, 3042 lbs @ 80 PSIG) tires that were OEM supplied on our previous 5th wheel. The XPS Ribs (same size and load rating) ran significantly cooler than the fabric-and-steel Goodyears, gave years of trouble-free service and were still on the RV when we sold it.

Rusty

Rustty, was there a problem with the HT? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a set of them and now wonder if I don't know something I should. Anyone else have a problem with the Goodyear HT?
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #37

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
Rustty, was there a problem with the HT? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a set of them and now wonder if I don't know something I should. Anyone else have a problem with the Goodyear HT?
The 5th wheel I was referring to was a 2000 Jayco Designer XL 3610RLTS with a 13,500 lb GVWR, so the OEM Goodyear Wrangler HTs that I replaced around 2002 - 2003 probably carried a date code sometime in 1999. Although not as numerous as the Goodyear Marathon failures, there were some HT failures reported back in that time frame of 2000 - 2004 or so.

I have no idea how the current Wrangler HTs would perform.

Rusty
Old 07-22-2012, 01:55 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
TOTALLY UNTRUE!
Michelin XPS Rib and BF Goodrich Commercial TA are both rated as trailer tires. If you buy ST tires you are buying a lower quality product likely made in China with little to no quality control, with a speed rating of 65 MPH. Proof is all the posts all over the internet concerning blow outs using them.
The Op is considering upgrading to LT tires, which IMHO is one of the best decision he could make for peace of mind
BTW that 60 MPH speed limit is for commercial vehicles only not private owned trailers.
Not true. That 60 MPH speed limit is for "vehicles in tandem" commercial or private. Look up Washington state laws before you post what appear to be facts.
FishaPalooza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires