RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2020, 09:41 AM   #1

Truck wars are humorous!!

I just bought a new truck to meet my current and future needs. On a couple of forums I have been told that my 2020 RAM 3500 DRW is just an overblown 1500 with no real towing or payload capability. And it will never be able to pull the 'rated' max trailer.

Most of those folks are people who have worked in heavy equipment all their lives and cannot comprehend life below 26,001!

And then there are the insurance and legal guru's!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2020, 10:38 AM   #2

I think the 35,000lb. plus rating might be a stretch but no doubt the new trucks are way more capable then just 10 years ago. The new frames are way way better and will support more weigh.

I have no doubt the new trucks are the best they have ever been.

tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:26 PM   #3

That truck you bought is a beast. I moved from a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW to a 2017 F350 DRW. What a difference. I only tow 13K lbs but it tows it without any issues. I have plenty of people tell me that there F150/1500 will pull 12K lbs or so just like my 06 Ram 3500 rated at 13400 lbs. These new half tons do not compare to the new 3/4 or one tons much less the older 3/4 and 1 tons. They just don't get it. These new 3/4 and 1 ton trucks make towing a trailer a very relaxing experience. My friend just went from a 07 Ram 2500 diesel to a 2020 Ram 1500. Towed his camper once. Now he bought a 2018 F250 Diesel. He only tows 7500 lbs. These new one tons are amazing. My 2017 F350 DRW is rated at 30300 lbs towing. Buy more truck then you need and have a enjoyable towing experience
Dieselguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:58 PM   #4

People say they can tow large, long trailers with their half ton trucks. It's not something I want to experience. I want my truck to be in control and not under the control of a too large and too long trailer for the truck.

I am also drive a trailer safely. I keep my speeds at a max of 60-62 MPH even on a freeway. I am using a GMC2500HD with equalizer hitch to tow my 24 foot, 7500 pound max trailer.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:35 PM   #5

Pics of the new Ram or it never happened.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:17 PM   #6

The new diesel trucks from the big 3 have a very robust cooling package to make those BIG towing numbers. They didn't have to change much in the motor or trans to keep those big loads rolling. The big problems with most 3/4 ton and one ton single rear wheel trucks is payload on the rear axle. most 3/4 ton trucks have a payload limit around 1400 lbs. In my mind the 1/2 ton trucks may have the power but good luck with stopping once the trailer comes un-plugged and cross winds on load range C or D tires .
xc-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:29 PM   #7

The truck towing war is real for sure. These trucks have really evolved over the last few years. I tow about 20k with my F350. All of the big 3 tow huge numbers. However none of the big 3 have upgraded the brakes on these trucks.

I have been towing for years and yes my truck tows my 20k trailer with ease but stopping is another story.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGoose View Post
I just bought a new truck to meet my current and future needs. On a couple of forums I have been told that my 2020 RAM 3500 DRW is just an overblown 1500 with no real towing or payload capability. And it will never be able to pull the 'rated' max trailer.

Most of those folks are people who have worked in heavy equipment all their lives and cannot comprehend life below 26,001!

And then there are the insurance and legal guru's!!
I tow at max with a ram 3500 srw and 25k with ram 5500s. They hate life at those weights, but theyll do it. Ill definately say that the new trucks are rated alot less conservatively than trucks used to be. My personal truck (03 f350 pulling a fuzion 385) is rated at a paltry 12000lb towing and my 18 ram 3500 is rated for something like 17000lbs. The 03 f350 is down a couple hundred ftlbs to the ram so it just doesnt pull as hard but the ram pulling at capacity effects the ram alot more than the f350 pulling at capacity. I still maintain that anything over 20k is too much for a pickup.
Jshopes81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:42 PM   #9

Donít pay any attention to those people that denigrate your truck it can tow just about any fiver out there . Just jealous probably driving around in half tons
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
Donít pay any attention to those people that denigrate your truck it can tow just about any fiver out there . Just jealous probably driving around in half tons
Well, it is a dodge.
Jshopes81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:54 PM   #11

Did you hear about the new Fords?.....come either with a puppy or a heated tailgate....first one is so you'll have someone to talk to while you're walking home, and the second one is so your hands won't get cold while you're pushing it off the road....
2010 Rockwood Sig Ultra lite 5er 8280......'99 Ram 2500, Cummins. 4x4.....Pullrite Superglide.....RV Mutant 186.....Bob the Builder...As not being a cook, 1/2 way thru bucket list.....cast no shadow...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:52 AM   #12

I remember when old trucks would rattle and had flex in their frames when driving thru the hay field the truck bed would touch the truck cab.

If one thing improved it was the frame and the overall build process. Trucks used to be cheaper than cars...now look. I can but a nice car, Altima, Camry, Accord for 32k and a nice truck for 62k. It use not to be this way.

I always point to 2011 as the best year in trucks but now 2020 is just as good as 2011.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:19 AM   #13

The advertising part I don't watch but people do. Best in class. OK, you created your own class, put just your truck in it. Of course it's going to be best.

Then there's the ones who has been roped into buying every possible option proceeds to tell you your going to die, just parking a souped up 4X4 dually in your driveway near your feather-light trailer and you should have an 18 wheeler truck to tow that. I've watched so many people tow the biggest loads with the biggest piles of junk and make it just fine all over the USA. I have always researched what it is I need, then apply that to what i want and make my decisions then I stop shopping and I don't listen to anyone who has little to no experience. Wait, I'll listen then laugh at them.

I just recently traded from a 3500 4x4 to a 1500 4x4 ecodiesel. For what I'm doing now and might possibly do in the future it's perfect for me and it's such a nice truck.

I always watch for paper plates on trucks and campers in the parks. Those are the ones who are sure to back it into a tree or a ditch. An who will have a wife standing directly behind the TT giving wild hand signals not knowing the husband can't see her, then she'll start yelling STOP STOP real loud and he wont hear her and will almost back over her. Then the husband will get mad, leave the tuck door open for the dogs to run off while he's going back there to yell at her. Then once they get it parked, she will want it moved over 3/8 of an inch.

Although I'll have a paper plates on my new truck this weekend at lake Georgetown Tx. Wonder who will be watching me.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
*SNIP*
I always watch for paper plates on trucks and campers in the parks. Those are the ones who are sure to back it into a tree or a ditch. An who will have a wife standing directly behind the TT giving wild hand signals not knowing the husband can't see her, then she'll start yelling STOP STOP real loud and he wont hear her and will almost back over her. Then the husband will get mad, leave the tuck door open for the dogs to run off while he's going back there to yell at her. Then once they get it parked, she will want it moved over 3/8 of an inch.

Although I'll have a paper plates on my new truck this weekend at lake Georgetown Tx. Wonder who will be watching me.
When we first bough this 2008 WolfPack, we had never owned an RV, much less anything this big! Our first time arriving after dark and having to back in, I sent my wife out with a flash light. Doing okay and backing down when she starts doing rapid circular motions with the flashlight and moving to the right. I stopped the truck and got out to see what was happening. It was an overly friendly kitten trying to crawl up her leg. We got backed in fine once the kitten was gone.

Now I have a new truck, 2 feet longer than the old truck, to learn to back in. But no paper plates!! lol