RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2020, 11:19 AM   #1

Trying to pick a truck. Ford or Ram?

We are getting a toy hauler that will have a max GVRW of 7000#. I am currently driving a Taco and need to upgrade to a more powerful truck.

I am waffling between a couple different late model F150s and Ram 1500s. Both configurations would give me a towing load of between 10-11000#.

We are probably going with the F150, but I was wondering if any who knew better than me might have an opinion on which way they would go.
doubletoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2020, 11:38 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
RAM. A friend of mine just got one based on his
sons recommendation. His son has a masters in
engineering, specializing in automotive and is
now a lead tester of new vehicles for Consumer
Reports. The son worked for Ford and BMW
previously.

Just another opinion......
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:51 AM   #3

Iíd go with a 3/4 ton Ram. Rides nicer than the F150 IMO.
Make sure you really look into fully loaded tongue weights on the toy hauler.
bneukam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 12:03 PM   #4

Ram hands down.. If you go Half ton look into the 3.0 Diesel. Great Power with Excellent fuel mileage. Up to 30 MPG empty.
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 12:13 PM   #5

Iím biased. I like the Fordís look and styling. However, I own a 2500 Ram with the Cummins diesel and I love it. More torque than anything Iíve ever owned. I get 20+ mpg unloaded and 14+ pulling our 5th wheel camper. When this truck has run itís course, I will buy another one just like it.
TMyers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 12:37 PM   #6

Ram, for sure.....this old goat gets 14+ towing and as high as 25 empty.....and has 223,000 miles......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 12:57 PM   #7

Looks like the Ram guys have it. Let me put my vote in for Ford. The 3.5 Eco-Boost is the best towing gas engine to date. Of you get a 2018 say, that engine is powerful but still detuned as the 2021 F-150 Ford is letting more power loose.

This engine builds power at a lower RPM and tows more think a diesel engine then a high revving gas engine.

Fiat is not really known for quality are they?

My vote - Ford.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 02:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Looks like the Ram guys have it. Let me put my vote in for Ford. The 3.5 Eco-Boost is the best towing gas engine to date. Of you get a 2018 say, that engine is powerful but still detuned as the 2021 F-150 Ford is letting more power loose.

This engine builds power at a lower RPM and tows more think a diesel engine then a high revving gas engine.

My vote - Ford.
My vote as well, love how my F-150 Ecoboost tows. Just watch your payload, tow ratings are pretty much useless. You'll run out of payload way before you ever get to your max tow rating.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 02:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post

My vote - Ford.
Dont be stuck in the past. Every manufacturer has produced some real junk at one time or another. FCA has spent Millions in R and D on their new trucks and it really shows. Build quality and Durability was their ultimate goal. There is a reason they have been outselling Chevrolet for some time now. I personally dont own any of them but work on ALL of them as a 30+ year Certified Mechanic.
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:21 PM   #10

If you want to see a benchmark tow test, watch the TFL video that compares the Ford 3.5 eco-boost vs the Ram 5.7 hemi. The 3.5 is an amazingly powerful engine and the 10spd tranny on 17 and newer models mates very well with it. If you are into tuners, 5 Star tuning gets amazing addition HP and torque out of the 3.5 that can't be had from a naturally aspirated engine.
lamokadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:55 PM   #11

Oh yeah.....buy a tuner....then head studs.......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:03 PM   #12

Iím going to say Ford.
Mine is ďjust the low end 5.0LĒ. My trailer is also 7000# GVWR. It tows very nice. The 10 speed transmission in the tow haul mode is brilliant. It never seems to hunt for the right gear. The ratio splits between the gears are so small you barely feel it shift. Downhills it will drop as low as 2nd gear to hold back the speed. Itís my 3rd F-150 so yeah, Iím a little biased........
Cheers
Old 10-06-2020, 05:24 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I know the ratings of these trucks, I have towed for years campers and more..

Stay under the weights and be smart..

I made a post about a nasty last weekend,, F150/26ft TT.... lived to tow again,,
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/budd...ok-509377.html
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ted View Post
Ram hands down.. If you go Half ton look into the 3.0 Diesel. Great Power with Excellent fuel mileage. Up to 30 MPG empty.

Payload is probably really low on a 1/2 ton diesel...RAM or Ford. Likely in the 1100 pound range. That'll just about cover the tongue weight.

I'll toss a vote Ford's way though. I had a '19 Ecoboost max tow that I towed our 8500 lb loaded 33' TT with. It performed very well on many short (under 300 mile each way) trips. We just didn't feel we had enough truck for that trailer to go cross country so traded it in on a 1-ton. Our trailer is 9500 lbs GVWR. I think you would nicely tow a 7000 lb GVWR trailer with a Ford equipped with the max tow option.

As I'm sure you've read....forgot all about the published tow rating for any make truck. Payload will be your most critical number in a 1/2 ton and that will vary on every truck on the lot.
mistercee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford