RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-26-2020, 09:35 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 5
Trying to work out weight with only 'Capacity max' (UK)

Hi All,

I am looking to buy a food trailer concession and I've ran into a bit of an issue calculating the weight, this forum has a very helpful sticky regarding weight calculations however none of the advertised weights are on there, it's my first time towing something and I took some photos of the trailer and label where I hook it up.

Please can you let me know if it's possible to work out the weight a different way? It's L6FT X W 5FT X H 6.5FT.

I have a Dihatsu Torios 1.3 Sport 2005 to tow, maximum tow 1350KG.















Takeout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2020, 12:16 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 5
Sorry I mean it's It's L10FT X W 5FT X H 6.5FT I can't seem to edit my original post.
Takeout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:25 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Skip426's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Powell River, B.C.
Posts: 21,758
Welcome to iRV2

Without full knowledge of the UK labeling system ; I will hazard a guess and say that the lower number on the tag is the trailer's empty weight ( 1400 KG ?) and that weight exceeds your tow vehicle capacity, and is something you shouldn't even attempt to pull, even as far as the nearest scale .

I would not attempt to tow that trailer with a vehicle with less than a 3,000 KG tow rating , and then only as far as the closest scale to get the actual weight.
__________________
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:27 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Skip426's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Powell River, B.C.
Posts: 21,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeout View Post
Sorry I mean it's It's L10FT X W 5FT X H 6.5FT I can't seem to edit my original post.
There is a time limit on edits to a post 20/30 mins.
__________________
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:32 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Skip426's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Powell River, B.C.
Posts: 21,758
In looking at the tag again the , speed limit of 25 kph is also a real question to consider . This restriction is something we don't see this side of the pond .

To me the speed restriction means the trailer was intended to be rarely moved and then only for a short distance.
__________________
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:48 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
In looking at the tag again the , speed limit of 25 kph is also a real question to consider . This restriction is something we don't see this side of the pond .

To me the speed restriction means the trailer was intended to be rarely moved and then only for a short distance.
It's a bit of a strange one, it wouldn't move often anyway.
Takeout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:14 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Welcome to iRV2

Without full knowledge of the UK labeling system ; I will hazard a guess and say that the lower number on the tag is the trailer's empty weight ( 1400 KG ?) and that weight exceeds your tow vehicle capacity, and is something you shouldn't even attempt to pull, even as far as the nearest scale .

I would not attempt to tow that trailer with a vehicle with less than a 3,000 KG tow rating , and then only as far as the closest scale to get the actual weight.
You are probably right, just seems a lot for an empty trailer, I tried comparing to others and found a lot are around 800KG-1200KG. In the UK I cannot tow more than 1750KG on a normal driving license.
Takeout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:21 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: America's Seaplane City.
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeout View Post
You are probably right, just seems a lot for an empty trailer, I tried comparing to others and found a lot are around 800KG-1200KG. In the UK I cannot tow more than 1750KG on a normal driving license.
That is not an empty trailer. There seems to be a lot of equipment in it.
__________________
2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile. Fun stuff:
'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT, well farkled
'98 Kawasaki KLR650, somewhat farkled
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:19 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 588
From the tag plate, I interpret the 25 km/hr speed as not a max, but that if you go over 25, then you must limit the “nose” weight (tongue/hitch) to 100kg, or about 220 pounds. That seems too light. Normally, you want 10% to 15% of the total weight on your tongue/nose for stability.
__________________
2000 Coleman Tacoma Pop-Up
2006 Ford Explorer XLT, 4.0L-V6, 4x2
Desert Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:19 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Skip426's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Powell River, B.C.
Posts: 21,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeout View Post
You are probably right, just seems a lot for an empty trailer, I tried comparing to others and found a lot are around 800KG-1200KG. In the UK I cannot tow more than 1750KG on a normal driving license.
Have you looked into COVID-19 restrictions on operating this type of concession stand ? Probably a good reason why it's for sale.
The trailer will be over your personal license rating and your tow vehicle capacity .
JMHO: Walk away .
__________________
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:35 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Have you looked into COVID-19 restrictions on operating this type of concession stand ? Probably a good reason why it's for sale.
The trailer will be over your personal license rating and your tow vehicle capacity .
JMHO: Walk away .
I ended up walking away.

I'm not actually in the UK, I'm in Guernsey, a lot of people don't know where that is and trailers like this come from the UK/EU so it's easier to tell people I'm from the UK. Life is back to near normal here since we managed to contain the virus so these operating restrictions don't apply, we do however have the same rules in terms of towing, I think I'll need to get an aliminimum one or get a towing license. Thank you
Takeout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:46 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Skip426's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Powell River, B.C.
Posts: 21,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeout View Post
I ended up walking away.

I'm not actually in the UK, I'm in Guernsey, a lot of people don't know where that is and trailers like this come from the UK/EU so it's easier to tell people I'm from the UK. Life is back to near normal here since we managed to contain the virus so these operating restrictions don't apply, we do however have the same rules in terms of towing, I think I'll need to get an aliminimum one or get a towing license. Thank you
My family emigrated to Canada from the British Channel Islands in 1947 , so I know all about the" little Islands , lost in the dark "of the German occupation .
Still have relatives on Jersey .
__________________
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
weight



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I max out the towing capacity? matt999 Class A Motorhome Discussions 17 03-15-2019 08:26 PM
Speed going up grades: max HP vs. max torque RTegarini Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 19 01-16-2016 10:16 PM
Help for a rookie RV'r figure out max weight Lefty78 Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 5 08-07-2013 12:35 AM
Tire Pressure (Max or not to Max) Experts? Always-RVing iRV2.com General Discussion 32 09-30-2009 09:46 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.