Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2022, 05:36 PM   #43

I've got a Ram 2500 gas engine truck and a Rockwood 2608BS so my total length including my hitch is around 55 feet. I find that a lot of people are making generalizations but it's really impossible to do so, at least the places I have been. There have many truck stops I've been in (mostly in MN, WI, and SD) often have gas pumps where you pull in facing the building even though their diesel pumps are truck friendly. I have never seen an RV Lane. I even pulled into on T/A that was diesel only. They had no gasoline pumps.

There are two things several people have mentioned that I think are the only reliable methods.
1. Never push it too far. I stop no later than when the range readout in my truck gets down to 75 miles. My truck seems pretty accurate on this as it usually takes 20 gallons, meaning I've got 11 left in the tank and I'm usually averaging 7.5 to 8.5 MPG. Stopping with plenty of reserve means if things don't look good, I can move on...which I usually end up doing at least once per trip. Hint 1: if you are navigating with Google maps just say: "hey Google, show gas stations on my route". Hint 2: my 75 mile reserve is good on MN and WI interstates, but out west, bump that up and think hard before electing not to stop. I had some stressful miles on a KS two lane on my way to CO once.
2. Try to choose exits where there are several options.

Suggestion: when pump space is limited, try to fill up and clear the pump ASAP. Last trip, I was waiting on the shoulder of the road to get into a station. Someone in a motor home towing a car was at the pump in a way that he was blocking the entrance to the station..not just for me but for everyone. So the guy gets done pumping then goes in the store for 15 min, with Noone else able to get in or out. Just saying, please r3member we are big. Do what you need to do but try to minimize the impact on others.
DRAGN83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2022, 05:40 PM   #44

TT friendly gas stations

We don’t travel more than 300 miles in a day. We travel at 60/65 mph. We only use rest areas for lunch and/or to stretch our legs. We use gas buddy. Most Costco’s are hard but doable, look before you turn in. Once I unhooked in a parking lot, left my wife to make lunch while I filled up as it was cheap, but we couldn’t pull our 26’ TT through. We’re 48’ going down the road in an extend 3500 Chev express van. Did I say we wing it, we never make reservations, don’t need’em unless you’re going to pull in late. Have fun
Branola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 05:53 PM   #45

There's a lot of apps but I've found GasBuddy to be very helpful. You click on find gas, it give you the range of prices, the distance, and when you click on it, the directions to that particular gas station. Very easy to use.
nbaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 06:14 PM   #46

As others have mentioned, most gas stations should be able to accommodate your rig, especially at interstate exits.
We use an app called iExit. It's very good at identifying what's located at the next several exits (restaurants, gas stations, etc...). We use it a lot to see where the next rest area is for the puppies to potty. It works on major interstates.
Hope it helps you too!
Happy & Safe Travels!
JMSCTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 06:41 PM   #47

Apps

Rest Stops is available for Android in the Play Store. Also iExit wll let you know what the next exit has in the way of services. Both are pretty useful

Richard
RAGrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 08:48 PM   #48

I know this is a little off subject, but not much. Range and gas station anxiety when towing is real, and can make a nice trip stressful. I never had an incident with the fifth wheel but enjoyed a couple of tight sphincters when towing my boat. I have to say I was anal about scoping out ingress and egress of stations when planning a trip; thank you Google Earth.

All this stress went away when I decided to increase the fuel capacity of my tow rig. I now know I will never have to fill my truck with the trailer in tow. The ability to buy less expensive fuel is a plus, the savings paid for my extra fuel tank in 3 years. Something to consider.
Old 09-01-2022, 10:57 PM   #49

I use Google Maps, Satellite view before I leave.
Old 09-02-2022, 01:56 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie G View Post
We will shortly own a 29' TT. What apps are out there to find gas stations that are easy to manuver? We will need gas not diesel. Also any apps out there to find rest stops for those of us who cannot go the long miles without relief anymore?

Thanks
Pilot/FlyingJ Travel Centers are first on our list...
Any Travel Centers/Truck Stops, including Love's, etc., usually have Gas pumps, and lanes big enough for Most Motorhomes/Travel Trailers.
Another note about Travel Centers, is that the food services are generally guite nice.
Most Flying J Centers were built to accommodate RVers, without needing to get in truck lanes, (except maybe for Diesel fuel)...
A word of caution... Be Careful at Pilot Centers... Most of them were not built for RVs, so, trying to park, or maneuver can be an issue.
Chappy_Pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 08:20 AM   #51

Blast from the Past

Quote:
We will shortly own a 29' TT. What apps are out there to find gas stations that are easy to manuver? We will need gas not diesel. Also any apps out there to find rest stops for those of us who cannot go the long miles without relief anymore?

Thanks
In the long ago I owned a 3500 Chevy dually that was a gasser. Pulling my horse trailer, loaded, I got 7 mph if I was going down hill with a tail wind. My tank was 34 gal. (IIRC; it might have been 32). In any event it was SMALL and range was absurd. We refueled at every 2 hour driver swap.

Then I found a company called Trasferflow that offered a gas certified, 50 gal., in bed, aux tank/toolbox. I bought it and had it put in and was never happier. Yes, I lost some bed space. On most trips I started full, refueled once, and filled again at our overnight. I would disconnect if necessary.

Look at the Transfer flow website and see what they offer. Or Goggle "F150 auxiliary fuel tanks." You'll find a LOT of alternatives there. These things are NOT cheap (but would you want to be hauling 50 gal. of gas in a tank built by the lower bidder? ). There are also integral tank options that replace the factory tank with something bigger (some might push 50 gal).

This is not a cheap fix but it is a relatively permanent one and it does not materially interfere with truck usage if you buy the integral model. If you really want "long legs" bet both an internal and bed tank. Now you become a "tanker" that might adversely affect your weight and balance. You'll have to address that. But fueling up once a day is a joy forever!

Hoss

P.S. I now have a diesel Duramax with a 34 gal. main and a 60 useable, in bed gallon aux/tool box combo. The aux tanks will be rated for, say 50 gal., but will have a useable capacity between 3 and 5 gal. less. That's been true of the three different in-bed tanks I've owned. I've never had an integral tank so I don't know how those run. Like I say, not cheap way, but a very viable solution to the "short legged truck" prolem. H.
Hoss Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 08:54 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
I know this is a little off subject, but not much. Range and gas station anxiety when towing is real, and can make a nice trip stressful. I never had an incident with the fifth wheel but enjoyed a couple of tight sphincters when towing my boat. I have to say I was anal about scoping out ingress and egress of stations when planning a trip; thank you Google Earth.

All this stress went away when I decided to increase the fuel capacity of my tow rig. I now know I will never have to fill my truck with the trailer in tow. The ability to buy less expensive fuel is a plus, the savings paid for my extra fuel tank in 3 years. Something to consider.

I did the same thing. Removed the stock 36 gal. tank and added a 56 gal tank. The TT has never seen what a gas station looks like. Less stress, less worries, less headaches and hassles. Isn’t that what RVing is all about?
Vongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 09:06 AM   #53

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks

Not sure about the gas stations that are easy to maneuver, just have to look. Google maps and give you a good idea of the room that is available.

As for rest stops, there is an app called USA rest Stops that might be what you are looking for. Good luck! That is one reason that I have a class C. Just get up and walk to the bth room anywhere you can find room to pull over if you are driving,
DamonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 09:21 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Gee whiz,it's only a truck and moderate sized trailer. 95 percent of gas stations should accommodate you. I have fueled my dually and tallish 5th wheel in urban areas like L.A., Dallas with no pre-planning nor fooling around. You'll get used to your rig. I suggest practicing by avoiding rush hours at these places the first few months.

∆∆∆∆∆∆ This

Though I don't go looking for them, I find Speedway to have very wide lanes.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 09:40 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrktfsh View Post
We mostly use the truck stop stations such as Flying J, Loves and Pilot when on the major routes
Flying J (The absolute best) and Loves provide plenty of room to maneuver, I have noticed Pilots are the worst if you're towing something over 30+ft. Pilot seems to be geared more for cars than long rigs.
RamblingRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 09:51 AM   #56

For long range trip planning, you cannot go wrong with the RV Trip Wizard. After you plug in your rig information, the wizard will calculate your gas range and indicate warning icons along your route. The wizard has a feature to locate gas stations along your route. The wizard has a feature that you can right-click on a gas station which will open a google map page so you can get a street view or an overhead satellite view of your selected station to recon the area for easy approach/departure, clearance and maneuvering space. This is a God send and it works like a charm every time. I always utilize Flying J and Loves if possible. Pro Tip: get a Flying J/Pilot RV Plus card account and get discounts on gas. I get .10 off on gas!
RamblingRam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas