Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2016, 11:10 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiles View Post
Thanks for the input folks. I'm going to try and find some Maxxis tires.
No problem. Direct Tire Sales sells them. They are not a big seller, so they may not have them in stock, but they can usually get them for you within a few days. Size ST225/75R15E (10 ply rating)
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tir...trailerHome.do

ST Radial M8008 | Maxxis Tires USA

I have a set of Maxxis ST225/75R15E on one of my trailers. Great trailer tires with no problems for the last several years with those tires on that trailer.

Quote:
I may get a price to upgrade to 16 inch wheels as well.
First measure the clearance between the top of the tire and the inner fender (wheel well). 16" ST tires have 1.25" less clearance than ST225/75R15 tires (i.e., they have 1.25" more radius). 16" LT tires have almost 2" less clearance than 15" tires. If you have at least 2" between the top of the tire and the fender well, and at least 2" between the tires on a tandem axle trailer, then you can consider 16" tires in size ST235/80R16E or LT235/85R16E. If you get LT tires, be certain they are commercial truck tires rated for all positions (including trailer position). Most LT tires are NOT rated for trailer service, so don't put those on your trailer. For example, Michelin LTX are great tires for a pickup, but they are not rated for all position or trailer service.The best choice in a 16" trailer tire is Michelin XPS Rib LT2235/85R16E.
Tire Selector | Michelin Truck.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2016, 11:13 AM   #16

I did the same thing, went from D to E. I've tried several brands. Maxxis was where I ended up and where I'll stay. 8008's on two of my trailers, same size as yours. We use both trailers often and the tires are holding up very well in the hot Florida climate. I also added a TPMS so I can keep an eye on things. My local dealer was able to order them in for me and I think they were around $156/ea.

Joe
Old 01-22-2016, 11:29 AM   #17

I can verify having a blowout while traveling is no fun at all. It will change your day.

I would listen to the people on the forum that recommend either upgrading from 'D' to 'E' or buying the Maxxus 8008.

You may consider using a LT tire but holy cow, that will bring out a bunch of 'use them, don't use them' posts. Airstream is using Michelin LT tires as OEM equipment now. I switched from ST tires to LT tires.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:25 PM   #18

If you are honest and truthfully and tell a tire manufacturer you’re going to use one of their LT tires to replace Original Equipment ST tires, most of them will not approve such replacements.

Because RV manufacturer XXX uses LT tires as original equipment on model (s) XXX is not carte blanche to use them on other models equipped with another design. Industry standards are a little wishy washy in that area so it’s best to read the warranty about the tire you want to use. Some tire warranties will refer you to your vehicle’s owner’s manual tire safety section. It’s an easy out for them because more than 95% of RV trailer owner manuals are going to tell you to use tires like the ones provided as original equipment.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:53 PM   #19

Maaxis and Saline tires are your two top chices for ST tires. Most of the others are really junk.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:19 PM   #20

I'd say Maxxis it will be! I really appreciate all the experienced input. This has been really helpful.
skiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires