Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2017, 09:38 AM   #15

connect/disconnect time TT vs 5th wheel

Thanks everyone for your replies!

From your replies, it seems that people are saying that hitching will be faster/easier with a 5th wheel, but that unhitching will be about the same with a 5th wheel vs a TT. Why would that be?

I ask because....

I have only once hitched up a TT (at a friend's house). I had trouble with getting the weight distribution & sway bars on. I imagine that will take extra time in hitching compared to a 5th wheel. But wouldn't it also take nearly the same amount of time/difficulty to disconnect them (making a 5th wheel easier to disconnect)? I wonder how much I am lacking in understanding all of this?!

Thanks again everyone - I really appreciate your help!
LittleBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2017, 10:15 AM   #16

When I said that the 5th wheel was easier to hitch, but that there isn't much difference in unhitching, I was talking about the degree of difficulty, not the time required.

The TT requires a fairly precise alignment to get it hitched. The 5er is easier because the self aligning action of the V-notch in the hitch allows a considerable amount of misalignment side to side, and the front to back alignment is completely automatic.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:16 PM   #17

I never used a 5er, so cannot comment on the ease of hitching. But I own a 2014 35' Laredo TT with the husky Weight distribution hitch. I agree with the others it does get easier over time. The hitching and unhitching is way easier with a good quality electric tonged jack. The jack does most of work.

Just make sure you have enough leveling blocks so you can raise the front end of the trailer to relieve the weight from the leveling bars before disengaging.

Also I started trailering my TT with a 2015 Chevy 1/2 ton, after the first year of trips and 3000 miles, I traded in my 1/2 ton for 3/4 ton due to the bouncing experienced when going over uneven bumps in the road. Or wind. The 3/4 ton fixed most of those issues with a stiffer suspension. Also I will admit that packing for 4 kids and the wife for a 3 weeks trip pushed the camper over the weight limit of the truck and trailer. So if you plan on living in it for a year, get the 1 ton. Ride might be stiff, but the truck can pull the trailer. My eye opener was when we where at a light and a huge hill was a 1/4 mile down the road in town. Trucks transmission down shifted three gears and felt like it was going to drop out the bottom going up that hill. The Diesel and Allison transmission fixed that. More power than I need now. If you are going out east to see the mountains, then a powerful engine and transmission is required. 1/2 will not provide what you need.

But this is my opinion.
Double B is offline   Reply With Quote