Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
arveer, why do you tell us the dry weight. This number is pretty much meaningless as for what you are really towing.

Ken
Ken, your opinion is very much appreciated.
arveer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2014, 06:15 AM   #16

I own a 2007 5.7 Tundra. When I bought the Tundra, we still had our 29' Sunline TT that weighed around 8k loaded. The Tundra pulled it pretty well but I'm not sure I would want to have taken it over the Rocky mountains. When we downsized to the Winnebago 2201DS, our towing weight dropped to around 6,200 lbs. and the Tundra pulls it with a lot less strain.

So, your Tundra can pull the trailer you are considering, but you will want to be aware of limitations when towing in mountains. Keep an eye on your temp gauges for transmission and radiator. And make sure you have a good WD hitch that is properly installed and set-up. When towing the Sunline, I had a Hensley hitch and it was a great hitch for the 10+ years we owned the Sunline.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:00 AM   #17

I tow a ST29SS weighing in loaded at 7100# with a 5.7L Tundra no problem. Reese DC hitch, no issues with sway, hills or stopping. Also pull a two horse trailer at almost the same weight. JIMO 1/2 ton bashing is overrated.
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:13 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Some will say if your not towing with a diesel your not towing period. Buying a new diesel hauler is way out of a lot of RVers budgets. Just too many systems on the new diesels. And in 2017 even more regulations are coming.

You should only buy what you can afford. My last tt (2005 hybrid) paid $17k sold it after 7 season / 380 nights camped for $8500. So it cost me $8500. Just imagine what it would cost to vacation or weekend at a hotel for those 380 nights. And here your in the outdoors, got your favorite food and drink and no worries about "bed-bugs". And you can even bring your toys. Some of us have bigger toys than others.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by arveer View Post
Ken, your opinion is very much appreciated.
What is the weight of your trailer loaded for a trip? Because unless you tow dry and the OP will too, that doesn't really help.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
What is the weight of your trailer loaded for a trip? Because unless you tow dry and the OP will too, that doesn't really help.
The original post was:

"I have a 2010 Tundra 2wd 5.7 towing package. Is this vehicle big enough to pull 33 ft prowler 6700lbs?"

Now, he does not state, but, based upon his description it seems as though the weight he referenced is probably a "dry" weight. My answer is to THAT post and is all I need to say. You are free to contribute as you feel fit.
arveer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #21

6500 lbs + 500lbs of options + 750 lbs of stuff is realistic for a family of four. So figure you are going to weigh around 7750lbs minimum. Travel Trailers need to have 10-15% of the weight on the tongue. So figure @13% you are looking at a hitch weight of 1000+ lbs. That is what the truck will carry against payload. Without knowing more about truck, it is hard to speculate, but the average Tundra of that vintage has a payload capacity of 1000-1200 lbs. Some are more, some are less. Payload is GVWR - curb weight with a full tank of fuel. Driver and passengers, the actual weight of the hitch head (Equal-I-zer hitch head is 75lbs), any additional accessories, tools, "junk" all take away from payload. I am guessing with the driver, the trailer and the hitch head, you will exceed the payload capacity. The other factor is the hitch rating. If the tongue weight of the trailer + the weight of the hitch head combined exceeds the trucks hitch rating, you are in trouble as well.
stwilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:36 PM   #22

This is not related to the weight capacity, But I had my 2011 DC Tundra looked at by the Toyota representative. It seemed it had issues with the clear coat. My truck is "bright white" I was told that several trucks in our area with that color was having issues. I just got it back from the painters. Toyota paid for it to be completely re-painted. Might be worth while to have yours looked at if you have spots that look like the clear coat is missing.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:10 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
I just came from a 34 foot Passport Ultra light towed by my 2007 Tundra 5.7. I figured that was as much as I would pull with that truck. The empty weight of the trailer was 5,800. GVWR of the trailer was 7,500. That is the weight I went by. The Tundra GCWR = 16,000. Take the trailer off of that and you are left with 8,500 for the truck, occupants, fuel and anything else you haul. You should also have a 10% or so cushion. With that I think I was pretty much at the limit of safety.

Walk around any campground. From my unscientific observations more than half of vehicles towing trailers exceed the limit, some significantly so. I can't believe what I see people towing with a half ton. I think part of the reason is they go only by the tow rating.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:59 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by stwilliamson View Post
6500 lbs + 500lbs of options + 750 lbs of stuff is realistic for a family of four. So figure you are going to weigh around 7750lbs minimum. Travel Trailers need to have 10-15% of the weight on the tongue. So figure @13% you are looking at a hitch weight of 1000+ lbs. That is what the truck will carry against payload. Without knowing more about truck, it is hard to speculate, but the average Tundra of that vintage has a payload capacity of 1000-1200 lbs.
Payload of that truck should be 1680 lbs.
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote