Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2021, 07:11 AM   #1

Turning Radius?

Does a long wheel base turn any tighter than a short? Does a dually have a different turning radius than the others? The truck in question will be a 2021 Chevy 3500 SRW. I haven't ruled out a Ford or a Dodge yet, but I've always had Chevys.
RazrRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2021, 07:35 AM   #2

Typically, a longer wheel base will require a longer turning diameter.

The charts & specs on this link can help you find the rated turning diameter and a lot more information on Chevy trucks. Typically, if yo are towing a trailer, turning diameter goes down the tubes anyway.

https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...&page=&butID=9
Old 08-04-2021, 11:01 AM   #3

Probably the smallest/tightest turning radius will be the F450 Pickup. It has what is called the "wide track" front axle which allows the wheels to turn sharper.

This is one of the big reasons many buy the F450 Pickup vs the F350... and it doesn't cost much more.

The F450 cab & chassis has a wide track front axle too... but it is a heavier class truck than the F450 Pickup, rides rougher, and in some States has to be registered and insured as a comercial vehicle.

Dodge / Chevy 4500 trucks fall into the same class as the F450 Cab & Chassis... often requiring comercial registration. I don't believe they offer an equivalent to the F450 Pickup, which is in the same class as the F350/3500.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:29 AM   #4

I had a 2012 F-450 and now a 2017 F-250. The F-450 was way easier to park. Also at the end of our street is a trun around. The F-450 could make that turn while the F-250 can not.

Ford also had an option for a wide track F-350 dually for a few years. I think 2015 and 2016. I thought that would be a great option.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:49 PM   #5

There's a YouTube vid that shows how dramatically better the F450's turn radius is than the others'.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
I was doing research into the turning radius of SRW 3500/350 trucks last year. The smallest is the RAM trucks, but with that, they have the smallest box, and shortest wheel base. Here are some numbers I collected on the turning radius, if I recall correctly, they are all crew cabs. I was looking at long beds, so I only have the one short bed number. I did not get the F450 numbers at the time.

RAM:
Short bed TR: 47.7' Wheel Base: 149.5" Length: 237.4"
Long bed TR: 53.7' Wheel Base: 169" Length: 260.8"

Ford:
Short Bed TR: ? Wheel Base: ?
Long Bed TR: 57.8' Wheel Base: 176" Length: 266.2"

Chevy:
Short Bed TR: ? Wheel Base: ?
Long Bed TR: 57' Wheel Base: 172" Length: 266"
Doesn't look like Chevy makes a 3/4 or full ton, crew cab short bed. They have a standard bed with a turning DIAMETER of 52.7 feet, wheelbase of 158.94 inches.

The double cab in a 3/4 ton can get you down to a turning diameter of 49.5 feet with a wheelbase of 149.4 inches. Does not appear that the 1 ton comes in a double cab version.

Note, we all tend to call it a turning radius, but in reality it is a turning diameter.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
Doesn't look like Chevy makes a 3/4 or full ton, crew cab short bed. They have a standard bed with a turning DIAMETER of 52.7 feet, wheelbase of 158.94 inches.

The double cab in a 3/4 ton can get you down to a turning diameter of 49.5 feet with a wheelbase of 149.4 inches. Does not appear that the 1 ton comes in a double cab version.

Note, we all tend to call it a turning radius, but in reality it is a turning diameter.

I had deleted that post to redo it properly when I had time again, as it should be turning diameter not radius, like you mentioned. But since you caught the post, those numbers should be good (cut in half for the radius).

Ford has the super cab, and Chevy has the double cab in the long bed, which are rare, but available in the 1 ton. I had a 3/4 ton double cab Chevy, and although I do not carry more than one person, I decided to not get it in the 1 ton, as you can't even put a normal box in the back seat if you want to secure it while you are not at the truck. RAM has the mega cab, which is bigger inside, on a long bed frame, but you have the short bed box.

According to the Chevy site, they make the 1 ton crew cab short and long bed, and a double cab long bed, but it is limited to the LT, not the higher trim for some reason.

End result is, both the Ford and Chevy are basically the same in turning radius, but the RAM can turn 2' less radius/4' less diameter at the cost of a shorter wheel base and box. I have not checked, but would imagine the dually is the same (same front end), but you have a wider rear hiney.

I currently have a RAM 3500 crew cab short bed, and looking to probably go long bed when the market starts getting flooded with all the '21's and '22's when the chips start arriving in mass numbers at the end of the year (suppose to catch up by feb-march of next year). I am not brand loyal, and do like the tighter turning RAM due to the small street I live on.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote