Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2019, 08:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
A WD hitch does not reduce tongue weight
It just shifts it toward the front of the tow vehicle. A 7,000 TT will still eat up 1000-1300 of payload regardless of the hitch you use.
Depending on the tow vehicle and trailer, a good part of the load may be redistributed back to the trailer axles. Payload of trailer will need to be addressed as well.

I am specifically loooking at axle weights as the starting point in her quest. We need more info and after she answers a few questions maybe we can help.

There was a good thread last week on how a member fixed his weight distribution problems. WDH WILL correct the issue of a heavy trailer tongue and lack of payload on many tow vehicles.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2019, 08:14 AM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Nissan NV3500 SL*. 8700lb towing capacity, ~2500lb payload. (That's almost 900lbs more than my Expedition Max.) You can actually buy one new, and they're only a little over $40k.

That said, are you sure you need/want that big of a trailer? We went with a smaller trailer and an Expedition Max because we do a lot of camping in National Forest and National Parks. Most National Forest and National Park campgrounds were built in the 1930s by the CCC and the parking pads are sized according to the size of the RVs at the time. We know two other families with 4 kids and travel trailers. One has an Excursion and a 29' (box) TT, the other has my recommended NV3500 SL and a 24' box TT. They both have a lot more room in their travel trailers, but there's only one campground inside Yellowstone with big enough sites for those rigs. Our rig fits in 3 more campgrounds...

*Must be the SL trim. The lower trims have the V6 and are limited to 6200lbs max towing.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:48 AM   #17

We are looking at the v10 e350 xlt van next weekend Found one not too far with low mileage so hopefully that will solve my problems! I think that will cover my seats to payload problem. I will still have to learn a bit about weights and how they work, but I think I can find a decent bunkhouse version with minimal slides to go with that van and feel confident I am not overdoing it.

Thanks for all the input. Glad to know that my research was accurate in that the Suburban was not going to cut it in the long run.
mamaskees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:22 AM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Plan on buying a GOOD WD hitch with built in sway control, not a budget hitch. Look at Equalizer 4 point, Blue ox Sway-pro for starters. The hitch is the most important aspect of how well the trailer and TV will play together. And use GROSS trailer weight multiplied by 13% to figure out what your tongue weight will be. Ignore the dry weights manufacturers list, that trailer does not exist. It will weigh close to gross weight with your gear, food and water.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:11 AM   #19

If this is her candidate, it is a rather unusual setup. XL package, extended body, but has the power package added, (windows and locks, cruise, upgraded stereo), plus factory tinted glass, rear heat/air, and 12 passenger seating, leaving lots of room for luggage in the extended body. E-350, and the 6.8L V10. These beasts have nearly 2,800 lbs of payload as equipped.

Add a good class IV or V hitch, trailer wiring harness is run to a spot behind the wheel well from the factory, so pretty much plug/play for 7-way socket, same for brake controller with Ford harness adapter up front.
Enjoy a 15,000 GCWR with 3.73 and 18,500 GCWR with 4.10. (even more with the bigger hitch and 4.56 gears).
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Plan on buying a GOOD WD hitch with built in sway control, not a budget hitch. Look at Equalizer 4 point, Blue ox Sway-pro for starters. The hitch is the most important aspect of how well the trailer and TV will play together. And use GROSS trailer weight multiplied by 13% to figure out what your tongue weight will be. Ignore the dry weights manufacturers list, that trailer does not exist. It will weigh close to gross weight with your gear, food and water.

Agree. The WDH that came with my TT was rated too light and was inferior in design. Weigh everything. I assumed and had to upgrade although my trailer was modded. Run high quality trailer tires. Flats anywhere with a trailer sucks. Good choice for a tow vehicle.

Off topic. Primitive campgrounds and boon docking are awesome. Of course water, waste and power are issues. Exploring with bikes is great. I predict you’ll need a big Yeti type cooler.

Check this out. http://f164.com/super-camping-guide/08/2013/

They and friends that have been boon docking for years got me started. I also have a sewage tank and macerator. Solar showers are awesome water savers. If you go that route the E350 is perfect for carrying the extra weight.

Downside - 4 wheel drive can really be handy but diminishing returns with the big tow vehicles IMO.

Your kids are blessed[emoji846]
USAMTBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:46 AM   #21

Thanks everyone!
mamaskees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:18 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaskees View Post
Ok so I am looking at the 2014 Keystone RV Cougar X-lite 29RBK or something similar to tow

specs:
2014 29RBK Specifications
...Dry Weight 6590 lbs
Cargo Weight 1610 lbs...

-----------------------------------

GVWR 8,200
Wet an loaded hitch weight = 1,166 @13% +100 pounds WD hitch

I need to seat 7 at a minimum.
Then your only choice is a "one ton" van, and probably a dually cargo van with seatin from the bone yard.

Quote:
Based on my limited knowledge of these things the best I can come up with is as follows:
Ford Excursion
Chevy Express 3500
possibly a Suburban but would have to be the 2500?
GMC Yukon XLT

Does this sound right?
Maybe, but probably no except for the 3500 Van.

Excursion and Suburbam 2500 might work if you can find one that's not worn out.

GMC Yukon XL 2500 (not XLT but the long version of the Yukon) is twin of the Suburban 2500. But like the 2500 Suburban, the 2500 Yukon XL are rare as hens teeth.

Quote:
I am leaning towards a used Chevy Express 3500 right now so that if needed I can expand the number of people by more than 1.
That's really the only practical choice. But even with the so called "one ton" 3,500, you must pay attention to payload capacity. 1,166 pounds of hitch
weight plus a van load of family and stuff means he 2,557 pounds of payload capacity must be well managed if you don't want to be overloaded.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote