Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2016, 08:00 PM   #15

Doesn't make sense to me to replace a poor-wearing tire with the same ones, just to keep from buying 4----21k and needing new tires is really poor mileage even for OEMs.
Going to Michelin ought to keep you out of a tire shop for several seasons.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2016, 07:45 PM   #16

Never heard of them before, but my oem Nexen tires have over 33k miles on my dually, and look pretty decent yet.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:59 AM   #17

I've been happy with the LTX M/S on a variety of trucks.

I've also gotten good life out of BFG A/T tires, but on road the LTX M/S were a much better tire, and just about as good in snow.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:04 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
We have Michelins that came with our 2011 HD truck and have just ordered new Michelin LTX tires from Costco. We also bought new tires for DW's infinity...Michelins again! and replaced the Chinese bombs on our 5er with Michelins LT at the end of last year after suffering a tire delamination at 50 mph.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:14 PM   #19

Jayco Owners Club
Well, I found a deal on some Nitto Grappler tires at NTB. All 4 tires, installation, lifetime balance and rotation, and alignment for the truck... Tax and all was $916-. So I did it. I made the appointment. I got there at 8:30 and there was only 1 employee there. The little voice in my head said RUN! I didn't listen. Long story short... They kept me there 4 hours, and mounted the tires, balanced them and then said I was ready. I challenged them because it wasn't aligned. Their excuse was the alignment machine was down. The balance job was not good. The tires were noisy when I'd been told they were quiet. They nicked 2 of my aluminum wheels. After a week of frustration.... I went to a Discount Tire store and bought a different set of tires, was gone an hour and a half sooner than expected, and took the Nittos back to NTB and got a full refund. Would have been a great deal if they had competent people and an alignment set up that worked. I ended up with Michelin tires and other than my frustration level being pretty high, it all worked out. I spent about $40- more for these tires and no alignment, but I'm wondering if I'd ever have gotten it even though I'd already paid for it. I'm not sure how they stay in business. The flip side is that I've bought several sets of tires from Discount Tire and never had a single problem. Maybe I at least learned to listen to that little voice in my head... Nah... probably not...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:28 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry to hear of your poor experience. I have purchased several sets of tires from Discount Tire over the years and have had consistently good service and reasonable prices. Use Car Care One account to get up to 12 months same as cash terms.

Currently have a relatively new set of Nitto Mud Grapplers on the Jeep. They work very well on and off the road. However very noisy, and expected from such an aggressive tire tread.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:58 AM   #21
IC2

Glad your tire deal worked out OK - but that pain of waiting in a tire shop

I'll add my .02.
Like I said way back on this thread, I needed new tires on my truck. I ended up at the local Mavis store on Wednesday and paid a few bucks less then my usual Tire Rack purchase since the UPS charges have gone out of sight. They are the new Michelin Defenders, 275/70x18 which is the Ford optional for that wheel and one size larger then the original 275/65x18. Out of the door in 90 minutes and $972 'poorer'. They installed and balanced them but no alignment as a Ford SD is not a local tire shop project and the take offs were wearing correctly. Smooth up to 75mph though the ride is a bit harsher (it IS a truck though labeled a 250, has a 350 set of springs). Very happy as that Mavis was clean, neat and the service writer a pro. The take offs will go on Craigslist as there is about 50% or more tread left. This will offset the wallet pain a bit.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:49 AM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'll be looking at the Defender in size 295-70-18 today for mine. looked at the Toyo AT2's in 285-75-18 yesterday and that thing is a beast, but fits. I really don't need the off road ability of the AT2's and the Defenders might be better on the highway.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:42 PM   #23

Jayco Owners Club
To be clear, I had no problem with the Nitto tires other than the road noise... after being told they were a quiet tire. But then someone trying to sell something will say just about anything, sometimes. I read a lot of reviews on the Nittos that said they lasted well and so I went for it. I could have gotten them from Discount, but decided to just go with what I know for sure and put the frustration behind me. As for the alignment, I took it to a dealer today for warranty work... with 35,903 miles... (whew!) ... and they have a set up that checks the alignment right in their service drive. They told me it was in factory spec and didn't need to be aligned, so I can quit worrying about that for awhile. Ain't technology great?!?!

I didn't want anyone to take this as an insult to Nitto tires. Had they been put on by Discount, they would probably still be there.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:11 AM   #24
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
To be clear, I had no problem with the Nitto tires other than the road noise... after being told they were a quiet tire.

I didn't want anyone to take this as an insult to Nitto tires. Had they been put on by Discount, they would probably still be there.
I didn't take it as an insult to Nitto though most that I've seen were too aggressive to be quiet and after having a set of M&S back a few years with a knobby tread, understand noise.

A note here - we were socked with about 6" of a kinda wet and unsalted/ slick snow on Monday and was able to try the new Michelin Defenders. WOW, nary a wheel spin in about a 30 mile ride. I didn't use 4WD and my truck does not have Equalock. Saw several folks in the ditch. The take off Firestones would have not been a pleasant ride.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote