RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2020, 11:18 PM   #71

Please don't get rid of your super duty for a Nissan. Once the novelty of a new truck wears off, you will be stuck with a truck that's at it's limits trying to pull your trailer or 5th wheel. Right now, you have a heavy duty engine, transmission, axles, cooling system, frame, brakes, etc. That 250 is a war horse.

Once I got my first Super Duty, I stopped worrying about sway and I have a 40 foot travel trailer. I have no sway and the truck handles it like a dream. I can actually relax while towing. I don't think you'll have that experience with a Nissan.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Gotta love that new truck smell!
NDIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2020, 11:25 PM   #72

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I have a 2017 F-250 2WD W/Locking rear diff. 6.2 gas 3:73 gears. I like this truck. Payload is 3,497 lbs. 6,200 lb rear axle rating.

My truck does not have the 5th wheel prep package. How can I tow a small(ish) 5th wheel?

1. Do I pay someone to install rails and use standard 5th wheel hitch. This is the old fashion way. (I do not like this option)

2. I think I can have a Ford garage install the puck system...I think. I would then use the gooseneck ball with the Reese Goosebox (I kinda like this option if possible)

3. Most expensive - trade trucks for one that already has the 5th wheel prep package. I am kinda liking the refreshed 2020 Nissan Titan XD with all the newer safety features. (I also like this option).
or 4. Install your own rails.

That was the option I went with when we purchased our 5th wheel on my 2002 Ram 2500 between the time we ordered the 5er and it was delivered. I bought the non-sliding Reese 15k Pro, and the corresponding rail system. It took a 4-5 hours, but wasn't bad if you're handy with tools.

When I upgraded trucks four years later, I did go with the puck system - same hitch, just dropped onto the puck frame.

Yeah, you can pull the hitch off the frame, and the frame from the pucks, and it's nice and flat. But that puck frame weighs a lot. The rails mounted to the bed of the old truck didn't stick up that much, and I only had to pull the hitch out when I wanted to haul a load of lumber.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:52 AM   #73

Hey,

Your truck, in my opinion. Is super capable. The payload you have is actually about the same or slightly more than a 3500 Lariat diesel.

I wouldn’t be afraid of towing 14,000 lbs and maybe more If setup properly.

I just saw one camping last weekend w the Reese goose box. Nice. He had an F250 w the new 7.3l gasser.

I have the B&W slider. When I get to a campground literally takes me 10 seconds to slide it to the maneuvering position and I put the tailgate down. I can jackknife w the tailgate down in that position.

I actually towed with it one time for 250 miles in that position with no problems w tailgate up. That was before I knew I could leave it down and not hit the trailer. Makes me wonder.......

Don’t buy a Nissan. You will be disappointed in towing (not the amenities) and have to trade again and be begging for your Ford back.

Peace
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:54 AM   #74

I have the King Ranch package and it has the camera under the 3rd brake light and in the tailgate. On the screen You see the little dotted line and line it up With the ball but as you get close sometimes you may need to Get out and check then adjust your position up or back an inch or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Missionman - how do you see the gooseball in the bed of your truck?
Missionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:20 AM   #75

MikeRP - you can jack knife your 5th wheel with the tailgate down with your slider hitch? Wow, you can not do that with an 8' bed and standard 5th wheel hitch.
Yes - I am very happy with the cargo capacity on my 2WD truck.

I learned something. I stated I have 6,200 lb. capacity rear axles...I was wrong. They are 6,340 lb. axles so a little bit better. Titan XD has 4,900lb. capacity rear axles.

I am still kicking myself for not getting the factory puck system.

Mission man - Thanks, that sounds like a nice camera with the guildlines. That is still another problem with my truck. I am seeing the importance of a bed camera when using a gooseball.

I learned if I do get a new truck it needs the bed camera.

With my 2012 truck I could see the 5th wheel hitch and the pin on the 5th wheel and it was very easy to line up.

Here are my truck stickers.

You guys are right the Nissan Titan XD is wimpy compared to the F-250.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200731_080246.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	295195Click image for larger version

Name:	20200731_080300.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	295196
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:27 AM   #76

B & W Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselguy4 View Post
The do not have the puck system installed if it is not through the bed. I installed a B&W turn over goose neck and run a b&w companion. I already had the hitch. The gooseneck is easy to install.
I used B & W Companion for ten years pulling a 40' toyhauler with my 06 Ram DRW and absolutely loved it! In/out in 5 minutes and rock solid. Wouldn't even consider anything else.
Savage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:52 AM   #77

Thought for OP

Disclosure: I couldnt force myself to wade through 100 replies.

If I were you and liked my current truck, and wanted a reasonable, moderate weight 5th wheel within the capabilities of the truck :

1...Install an under bed gooseneck hitch system tha allows the ball to be removed in whatever fashion. Countless companies make these. I am impressed with Pop-Up brand, but any will do. you have a SOLID connection and a completely clear bed when you want it.
2...Purchase/install a Pop-Up brand gooseneck hitch box from Youngs Welding. Iboought one and am really impressed with it. I had a brand new Curt 25K 5th wheel hitch. It was noisy, rattly and uncomfortable. and HEAVY. Even broken down into its two pieces each time I lifted it ior out my 71 year old body was out of commission for 2 days. I bought the Pop-Up from the factory. Great guy to work with. Incredibly solid product. The Reese Goosebox is a great product, but the Pop-Up is less than half the money. With help lifting, the installation of the Pop-Up in place of the original Lippert pin box was about an hour. I have no connection to the company other than being a happy customer, and thats saying a lot because im picky and expect a lot. This is a good product. Very simply, towing with this setup is superior to a straight 5th wheel. NONE of the banging. The ball in my bed is easy, one hand remove. Before you commit, check it out.
SamBLust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:09 PM   #78

SamBLust - thanks I will.

When I 1st got my big heavy 5th hitch I was able to man handle it myself. But in 5 short years later no way.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:54 PM   #79

I need to get out more to see the myriad ways to set up the truck.

https://youtu.be/F7K6eOhdzp0

Tags
scr