RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2020, 03:10 PM   #1

Ugh - I screwed up on my truck - kinda

I have a 2017 F-250 2WD W/Locking rear diff. 6.2 gas 3:73 gears. I like this truck. Payload is 3,497 lbs. 6,200 lb rear axle rating.

6 months ago before the pandemic I was looking at travel trailers. I was set on a travel trailer. But when I walked onto a 5th wheel I liked that better. Now I had a lot of time to think about it...oh, travel trailers and 5th wheels at my price point cost about the same.

My truck does not have the 5th wheel prep package. How can I tow a small(ish) 5th wheel?

1. Do I pay someone to install rails and use standard 5th wheel hitch. This is the old fashion way. (I do not like this option)

2. I think I can have a Ford garage install the puck system...I think. I would then use the gooseneck ball with the Reese Goosebox (I kinda like this option if possible)

3. Most expensive - trade trucks for one that already has the 5th wheel prep package. I am kinda liking the refreshed 2020 Nissan Titan XD with all the newer safety features. (I also like this option).

Can anyone tell me if all Ford Superduty frames have the puck system built in even if the Bed does not? I got under my truck but could not see any puck structure.

Financing on new trucks is incredible now.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2020, 03:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I have a 2017 F-250 2WD W/Locking rear diff. 6.2 gas 3:73 gears. I like this truck. Payload is 3,497 lbs. 6,200 lb rear axle rating.

6 months ago before the pandemic I was looking at travel trailers. I was set on a travel trailer. But when I walked onto a 5th wheel I liked that better. Now I had a lot of time to think about it...oh, travel trailers and 5th wheels at my price point cost about the same.

My truck does not have the 5th wheel prep package. How can I tow a small(ish) 5th wheel?

1. Do I pay someone to install rails and use standard 5th wheel hitch. This is the old fashion way. (I do not like this option)

2. I think I can have a Ford garage install the puck system...I think. I would then use the gooseneck ball with the Reese Goosebox (I kinda like this option if possible)

3. Most expensive - trade trucks for one that already has the 5th wheel prep package. I am kinda liking the refreshed 2020 Nissan Titan XD with all the newer safety features. (I also like this option).

Can anyone tell me if all Ford Superduty frames have the puck system built in even if the Bed does not? I got under my truck but could not see any puck structure.

Financing on new trucks is incredible now.
For my 2013 RAM 2500, 6'6" bed, I bought a PullRite under bed rail system for the PullRite autoslider hitch. It was bolt on to the frame, cut holes in the truck bed, and then I had them apply the spray in bedliner.

I am an autoslider fan because it worked for me well for 4 years. Being new to RVs in general, and 5th wheels specifically, I wanted one less thing to think about.

If you are buying a new truck,make sure you look at the door decaland not the sale brochure. Sales brochures are accurate, but one must sort through all the information for what adds and subtracts from the payload. My searching for a RAM 3500 found that the payloads varied up to 1200 less than the one I bought. I thought I read that the Nissan XD no longer had the diesel option, which was the one with the 'almost' 250/2500 capacity. I would not buy a new truck for a trailer that was immediately over 70% of the payload.

What's the max weight of the 5th wheel selected? If 10k-13k, then 2500 may do it (again, payloads vary). If over 13K, then it's 3500 territory, but not necessarily dually territory.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:28 PM   #3

And FYI - 5TH wheel prep has different spacing from Ford, Chevy, RAM, and even the aftermarket under bed rails hole spacing is unique to them.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:40 PM   #4

The 5th wheels I am looking at are mid profile with GVWR' of between 9,995lb for Winnebago and 12,000lbs for few others.
The Titan XD is not going to be able to tow a 5th wheel if the GVRW is 12,000lbs.

The Titan XD with the 5.0 Cummins engine did not have the payload. I like the gas engine a lot better with about 600lbs more payload.

I watched a YouTube video of a person that removed the bed of his Ford cut the puck holes in the bed and remounted the bed. The puck system was already on the frame. I am hoping it is on all frames and all that is needed is to cut the holes in the bed. I already have a spray in bed liner. Hope that does not make it more difficult.

It is not something I would do but have a Ford garage do.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:49 PM   #5

For a lightweight 5th wheel why not go with a B&W turnover ball and Andersen Ultimate hitch combination?
John.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:50 PM   #6

HDGoose - thanks, I know the spacing is different between Ford and Ram a few years ago. No doubt, even with new frames on Ram and GM they are probably still all different.

If Ford built the puck system into all their frames I am thinking I will keep my F-250. If not...not sure what I will do. The Titan XD is kinda wimpy but I could gain a lot of features I want.

Oh the Titan XD is only set up for a gooseneck. Not a full fledge 5th hitch.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:56 PM   #7

John W. - I might go with the Anderson Ultimate hitch but right now I am leaning toward the Reese GooseBox.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:04 PM   #8

On fords the puck system is an option not standard on all. You can purchase the under bed puck system to install after market. Reese makes it as well as you can get it direct from ford or a few others. My guess is that yours doesnít have it if you donít see it by looking underneath, itís a simple install, the bed comes off easy with two people you can Cary it. It would be your lest expensive option installing the puck system to what you already have for sure. I have the puck system in my ford and itís great. I get the whole bed back to use by removing just the hitch.
cashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:16 PM   #9

I had a superduty that had the puck system and agree, it was nice. But on this truck since at that time I was focused on a travel trailer the puck system was not important.

But the more I read this forum about trailer sway the more I think a small 5th wheel will tow much easier that a travel trailer.

I will try to find that YouTube video.

Here is the video. I do not have the puck assembly so I agree, I will need that.

https://youtu.be/D-JuHdSF5Kg
Old 07-23-2020, 05:56 PM   #10

I checked the factory price for the 5th wheel prep package. It was $500

I bet to have my Ford garage do it it will be over $1000.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:57 PM   #11

The do not have the puck system installed if it is not through the bed. I installed a B&W turn over goose neck and run a b&w companion. I already had the hitch. The gooseneck is easy to install.
Dieselguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:23 PM   #12

I'd take a super duty over that Nissan heavy half all day long. Spend $1k on installing the 5th wheel setup instead of dropping $10's of thousands on a lesser but fancier truck.

Get a nice daily driver car if you want luxury.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:53 PM   #13

If you want the Ford system find a Reese/Drawtite shop and have them install the under bed system. I have the Ford system from the factory, and it's nice. However, if doing it again I would have the B&W system installed. They have truck specific parts for a neat strong installation. My son has 196k on a 2012 with 6.2 engine, and tows a bumper pull trailer. You will spend a good bit of time in 5th gear, but the transmission is designed for it.
LenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:05 PM   #14

swavescatter - I hear you. I have a nice truck already Lariat with the Lariat ultimate package makes a very nice truck. Actually too nice. It is a lot more capable than the Nissan.

LenR - thanks, I will look into that.

Find a Reese / Drawtite shop and have them install the underbed B&W puck system. The only hitch shop I know is U-Haul so you must he talking another hitch shop...right?

Tags
scr