Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2020, 11:11 PM   #1

Unhitching on a slope angle

I tried searching for my situation, but most search hits are about the TT on a slope, or the TT & TV being at an angle birds-eye. My situation is my TT on my driveway is level, but the TV is on a slope down, probably about 20-25 degree. In other words, the first half of my driveway is sloped up a hill, then there's a sharp angle, and the 2nd half of the driveway is level at the top, big enough for the whole TT to sit level. But the TV is still on the sloped part.

Neighbor across the street who drove semis stopped over and sort of brushed it off that it would be fine. But when I lifted off the ball the first time, it "popped" off and sent my TV jerking forward, downhill. The TT rocked some as well, and I felt uneasy about it. So the second time, after getting the TT chocked and lifted some, just before lifting all the wt, I backed the TV up just a hair to relieve some pressure before finishing lifting all the wt off the ball. Seemed to help, but it still didn't feel right, like there must be another way. I was worried I'd mess something up backing while the jack was down already holding some TT wt and wheels chocked, and wasn't sure how much/little to back up. Not to mention I had to relieve the parking break and back up surgery-like on a 25-d slope while doing all this - feels like it would be easy to mess up. Any tips?
epeddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2020, 11:39 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Apply your park brake and then back up an inch or 2.

That should take the pressure off the hitch, and hold the TV in place.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Apply your park brake and then back up an inch or 2.

That should take the pressure off the hitch, and hold the TV in place.

Happy Glamping.
That's a good idea. Limits how much damage if my foot accidently gets too heavy. Thanks! I should probably also have the wife operating the power jack so I don't have to keep hoping in and out whole doing it.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by epeddy1 View Post
That's a good idea. Limits how much damage if my foot accidently gets too heavy. Thanks! I should probably also have the wife operating the power jack so I don't have to keep hoping in and out whole doing it.
If possible, the person that backs the trailer into place needs to stay put in the truck and hold down the brake pedal while someone else unhitches the trailer. Since it was backed in, any binding between the tongue and the ball could probably be alleviated by easing off the brakes and letting the truck move forward a tiny little bit.

On the other hand, if you backed in but got out to let someone else into the driver's seat, then the truck would tend to want to roll forward, possibly even with the emergency brake on. In that case, the person in the driver's seat then would have to put the TV in reverse and probably have to give it some gas to alleviate the bind.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:49 AM   #5

Is your driveway cement and what kind of chocks are you using?

My driveway is sloped like yours also.I would recommend using some good rubber chocks, one for each tire.They don't slide as easily as wood or plastic on cement.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:15 AM   #6

I agree there is too much pressure on the ball. That pressure is either too much forward or too much backward. If you can figure that out you might be able to adjust the TV accordingly either a tiny bit forward or a tiny bit backward.

This is going to be an on going issue but not sure how big a deal it is. Having to TV move forward after unhitching I have seen this thousands of times I bet. 35 years living with a slanted driveway and boating 3 times a week. Sometimes kicking the hitch with the bottom of my foot to break it loose.

What I would do. Undo the hitch lock. Raise the trailer tongue until it starts to raise the TV a tiny bit. Then get in the TV and put it in neutral. That should work. If not start kicking...[emoji16].

After a dozen times you might get the nack of how to break it loose.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokurt View Post
Is your driveway cement and what kind of chocks are you using?

My driveway is sloped like yours also.I would recommend using some good rubber chocks, one for each tire.They don't slide as easily as wood or plastic on cement.
I did get the rubber chocks. Also decided to get X-chocks to help with stabilizing, and makes me feel better when I have one side raised up on leveling boards to have the extra layer of chocking.

Tags
hitch