Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2022, 11:10 AM   #1

Unpleasant jerking in Hitch

My equalizer hitch has a standard 2 inch stinger that fit nicely in the older tow vehicle (a 2002 Chevy Suburban). But we upgraded to a 2014 Chevy Silverado 2500. The receiver on the Silverado is a 2.5 inch.
I found a Curt adapter, a sleeve sort of, that fits inside the truck's receiver and holds the hitch stinger in place safely.
But it has a lot of rattle, and the ride is much more jerky than before. Can anyone suggest anything to improve this? When no trailer is on the hitch, it is easy to rattle it back and forth and up and down. It's not a lot of play, but it's more than we had with the Suburban. It's jerky and uncomfortable when going over any kind of bumps. A bit noisy, too. I will be glad to hear any suggestions.

My 28 foot TT is Outdoor RV 2014 BlackRock 22RKS
with GVWR 7700 lbs and 600 lbs tongue weight.
PhillerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2022, 11:31 AM   #2

Goggle 'hitch rattle silencer'

Lots to choose from
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 11:37 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Old Biscuit got it right.
There are a lot of different styles of these. Also called hitch stabilizers. I bought this one because it had a machined crossbar not a plate. But choose your own.

CZC AUTO Hitch Clamp Stainless Steel Anti-Rattle Stabilizer Cross Clamp 2 Inch for Hitches On Trailers of Trucks SUV Vans RV, Hitch Tightener for Hitch Tray Cargo Carrier Bike Rack Trailer Ball Mount https://a.co/d/cwNS0uY
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 11:38 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
X2 on the hitch stabilizer, and don't go cheap.
Some of the "U" bolts are quite thin and don't work well.
Get the BIG kind.
As me how I know.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 11:44 AM   #5

When mine is hooked up with the weight distribution hitch, there is no play. The force applied by the WDH takes up all slack.

Maybe your WDH is not adjusted correctly for the new tow vehicle.
Maybe you do not need the WDH with the new tow vehicle.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 11:52 AM   #6

Indeed - there are lots to choose from! Good old Amazon. The parts store where I got the adaptor didn't seem to know anything about these rattle silencers. I might look at the receiver silencer pads also.
Although I can see how the rattle silnecer might add a few minutes to installing and removing the hitch. I think it will likely be worth it.
PhillerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 12:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
When mine is hooked up with the weight distribution hitch, there is no play. The force applied by the WDH takes up all slack.

Maybe your WDH is not adjusted correctly for the new tow vehicle.
Maybe you do not need the WDH with the new tow vehicle.
Interesting. I had not thought of this. My hitch rattles when I am not towing, but hooked up with the WD bars in place, no noticeable rattle, makes sense.

It seems like the amount of play in a 2" receiver is excessive, whether my WD hitch, my standard 2: ball hook up, my hitch hauler, or my bike rack. That is on at least my last 3 tow vehicles going back to 2009.
Old 10-10-2022, 05:17 PM   #8

I'd upgrade to a 2.5" receiver. With your current setup I'd expect to see the nice round hole in the receiver turn into a nice oval hole. Even though you can't hear the hitch move, it does, all the time.
MtCamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 09:37 PM   #9

Get a 2˝ inch shank for the hitch. The brand doesn't matter, they are all basically interchangeable, as the vertical bar with the holes in it for the hitch head are the same spacing and 2 inch square, no matter the brand.

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/store/shanks

Charles
Old 10-11-2022, 09:33 AM   #10

Upgrade to a 2.5" shank but either way use this: https://www.hitchclamp.com/collectio...2-5-heavy-duty
Old 10-27-2022, 09:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
I'd upgrade to a 2.5" receiver. With your current setup I'd expect to see the nice round hole in the receiver turn into a nice oval hole. Even though you can't hear the hitch move, it does, all the time.
Mt Camper has it right. I'm experiencing an oval hole in my 21 RAM receiver with the 2.5" to 2" adapter and the slightly angled pin. I only noticed the clunking when going over a rise in the road, or railroad tracks, but it's obviously moving at other time too.
I recently found a 2.5" shank for my Blue OX and added a straight hitch pin and a TRIMAX THC250 anti-rattle clamp. I only towed it a short distance once I made the all of the changes so it's hard to tell if there is an improvement to the clunking yet. I am looking forward to stopping (slowing down?) the ovaling of the receiver. I know the TRIMAX THC750 is one of a few that work with the newer RAM receivers due to the proximity of the chain loops to the receiver hole.

Retired Robotics Technician USAF DAV > May the Mass X Acceleration be with you!!<
Parafango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 01:36 AM   #12

If you go with the anti-rattle device, I would recommend finding one with grade 8 U-bolts because the Amazon ones (depending on which you buy) are generally mild or stainless steel, and if you crank the nuts down on the U-bolts a little too tight, they will gall and are a PITA to remove. I had two do that before I switched to the grade 8's. They are much more corrosion resistant than mild steel, but not as good as stainless so a shot of WD-40 once in a while will help them to stay clear of rust.
Old 10-30-2022, 06:46 AM   #13

The bent hitch pin is what causes the oval hole syndrome. Go to a straight pin and the hole will stay round. 60k of towing on the last tow vehicle and 25k on this one and both have round holes. Never used a bent pin.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch