Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2021, 02:12 PM   #29

I'm a diesel guy but after maintaining a fleet of them for the past 25 years, I'm going gas.......not to say diesels don't have their advantages (they do) but they've gotten way too complicated and expensive to maintain IMO.....and I don't need 1,000 ft lbs for my needs.

Looking at the choices, I believe I'll go with an F350 7.3 10spd supercab....probably with the 6'9" box.... none of the other gassers have enough power for my liking and the combo of the supercab and 6'9" box is one the others don't have and the GM's 6'6" box and the Ram's 6'4" boxes are too short which would force me into an 8' box.

2 cents,
Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2021, 02:14 PM   #30

OP - I agree - the interior I watched was really nice. Kinda like the Ford F-150. Nice, but not obnoxious and I agree 'stately'. I also agree with what you said about the modern diesel engines. Sure, they tow great but at what cost? They for sure have their downside.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:17 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
I'm a diesel guy but after maintaining a fleet of them for the past 25 years, I'm going gas.......not to say diesels don't have their advantages (they do) but they've gotten way too complicated and expensive to maintain IMO.....and I don't need 1,000 ft lbs for my needs.

Looking at the choices, I believe I'll go with an F350 7.3 10spd supercab....probably with the 6'9" box.... none of the other gassers have enough power for my liking and the combo of the supercab and 6'9" box is one the others don't have and the GM's 6'6" box and the Ram's 6'4" boxes are too short which would force me into an 8' box.

2 cents,
Dave
Nice you speak from first hand experience too..... I absolutely have a love for diesels and how they perform, just none of the non-sense govt has added into the equation, it's just not even worth it now. They've ruined them.

A SuperCab would be great, and the box size is much better than the smaller GM and Ram ones, like you mentioned. A 6'9 box is much more versatile.

You'll likely have a nice resale value too, since not many of that combo out there, might be a bit rare.....

Hope you get your ride. And yes, 1 ton is a no-brainer these days with heavy 5ers and the like.

tuffr2: I'm getting older, so the over the top interiors do nothing but turn me off. Prefer the less is more approach....
Old 10-22-2021, 02:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryboj View Post
Nice you speak from first hand experience too..... I absolutely have a love for diesels and how they perform, just none of the non-sense govt has added into the equation, it's just not even worth it now. They've ruined them.

A SuperCab would be great, and the box size is much better than the smaller GM and Ram ones, like you mentioned. A 6'9 box is much more versatile.

You'll likely have a nice resale value too, since not many of that combo out there, might be a bit rare.....

Hope you get your ride. And yes, 1 ton is a no-brainer these days with heavy 5ers and the like.

tuffr2: I'm getting older, so the over the top interiors do nothing but turn me off. Prefer the less is more approach....
I don't want this to get too off-topic, but govt. ruined nothing. OEs long ago decided they need to clean up their act. Govts and EPA are all working so we have some type of breathable air in 100 years, so something needed to be done. We can't just keep on like they were doing in the 1960s and 70s. The manufacturers that will survive and thrive will do so by innovation, not whining and bitching about the "good ole days" of black smoke and smelly exhausts.

On 6'9" box sizes, I mean, at some point, why bother? Is the long bed an 8' one still? There's only like 15" difference overall.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 03:13 PM   #33

Without getting into the environmental aspect of it all; the new diesels with DEF, DPF's, VGT's, Cats, EGR, etc. etc. have become just too expensive to maintain long term.....blame it on whoever you like or nobody at all; it's still just too expensive and complex for me.

A 6'9" box will fit my motocycles, the 6'6" box will only if they are jambed in on an angle and the 6'4" box not at all. Sure I could stick with an 8' box, but if the 6'9" one works, it shaves 15" off the truck making it easier to manouver, etc. so the real answer IMO is why not?

2 cents,
Dave
Old 10-22-2021, 03:20 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
I don't want this to get too off-topic, but govt. ruined nothing. OEs long ago decided they need to clean up their act. Govts and EPA are all working so we have some type of breathable air in 100 years, so something needed to be done. We can't just keep on like they were doing in the 1960s and 70s. The manufacturers that will survive and thrive will do so by innovation, not whining and bitching about the "good ole days" of black smoke and smelly exhausts.

On 6'9" box sizes, I mean, at some point, why bother? Is the long bed an 8' one still? There's only like 15" difference overall.
Yeah, and don't get me wrong, I'm all about emission controls and clean air. But it has to work. Modern diesel emission controls don't work well without causing issue or literally breaking down and heck, no one can afford to correct it. Bottom line, govt wants them gone......and they're on the way in doing so. Not blaming anyone and like you, doesn't matter, but bottom line is, we all want to breathe some good air and not inhale every particulate out there. And at the same time, all the lithium mining and every other mining they do for elec vehicles and so forth, yup, price to pay there too, even on the recycling end. No win for anyone no matter what man does.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:58 AM   #35

Quote:

2 cents,
Dave
I had never really checked, but GM lists standard bed at 6'9" for 2022 models and long bed at 8'2". I think 2021s are the same.

I would think 401HP and 464ft-lb of torque would be plenty except for hauling 16 000lb+ for long hauls in mountainous terrain.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:50 AM   #36

Standard bed used to be the 8' bed then you had short bed. When did that change?
Old 10-23-2021, 08:38 AM   #37

Quote:
I had never really checked, but GM lists standard bed at 6'9" for 2022 models and long bed at 8'2". I think 2021s are the same.

I would think 401HP and 464ft-lb of torque would be plenty except for hauling 16 000lb+ for long hauls in mountainous terrain.
Thanks kdauto, I need to revisit this, the cab and bed length aspect.

The rear doors were less important to me than having a long bed, but at the same time, I didn't want something terribly long like a crew with long bed. However, if a 6.85ft bed length is sufficient for the 5er and overall carrying d-bikes without annoyance, etc, then the crew cab config with std bed will be about 6" shorter overall than the double cab long bed config, which is preferable, since I don't want a difficult truck to part and navigate in around town.

Maybe that power output will be just above adequate when the 10 speed becomes available and less of a concern. Yeah, don't plan on ever taking it past 13k overall if I don't have to, as towing heavy long distances isn't all that ideal.

tuffr: I'm use to the standard bed being like 6.5....with the long bed's being around 8.1 or so. 6'9 might be do-able for me, like kdauto's bed config he's looking at.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:14 AM   #38

I guess I need to get used to the new terminology but for me a old guy when all trucks had an 8' bed but a single cab. I guess that all changed with the 4 door trucks.

I would not poopoo a 4 door truck as they are really handy. I have been driving 4 door trucks since 2005. They are great to carry 5 people. Lots of room for everyone. Plus it makes great storage space for tools and anything you want to keep dry.

In 2020 GM made it easier to tow a 5th wheel with their 4 door truck. I understand they put their puck system 2" behind the rear axle plus have a few inch longer bed.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:18 AM   #39

tuffr....for sure. We don't need a big crew cab since no kids, but dogs...and occasionally someone might jump in the back, but if the truck ever became our in town vehicle we'd definitely want the larger crew.

That's very interesting to know about where they placed the puck system.

I plan on taking the B&W Gooseneck Companion hitch I have on the old 12v of mine and buying the B&W Gooseneck for my next truck, then using the Companion I have, so I won't be using any factory installed hitches at all, so hopefully the B&W gooseneck placement is like what you're speaking about, so it's placed more rearward.

I need to look into that. Thanks for bringing that variable up.....

PS: Just reached out to B&W about their placement with their turnover ball gooseneck setup coupled with the Companion 5er hitch, as in further back or not like that of the factory puck system on the standard bed length. Just want to know, since that's a pretty fact if it is.....will make a 6.85" bed easier to live with when towing.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:30 AM   #40

Quote:

Thanks; looks like they changed it in 2020. As far as power goes, all gassers are a step backwards from my current diesel so I want all the power i can get......TFL's towing test video shows a big difference between the chevy and the 7.3 ford.

2 cents
Old 10-23-2021, 11:46 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us...020-crate.html

"Chevrolet Performance today introduced the ZZ632/1000* crate engine — the largest and most powerful crate engine in the brand’s history.

The naturally aspirated 632-cubic-inch V-8 produces 1,004 horsepower and 876 lb-ft of torque."

Performance dealers will begin deliveries in early 2022.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 12:12 PM   #42

Quote:
Thanks; looks like they changed it in 2020. As far as power goes, all gassers are a step backwards from my current diesel so I want all the power i can get......TFL's towing test video shows a big difference between the chevy and the 7.3 ford.

2 cents

Yup, if the 10 speed wasn't coming to the 6.6 L8T GM gas, I would be looking hard at the 7.3 instead for optimal power and delivery. But since the 10 speed is on the way, it should help out tremendously with the towing tests.....let alone a small bump in overall mpg.

Tags
gas