Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2021, 08:07 PM   #1

Use a WDH on HD truck?

I have a 2021 Alpha Wolf 26DBH-L. We like it. Right now I pull with a 2012 F150 and use an E4 hitch set up properly. No trouble at all towing.

I am buying a new truck next month. It’s either going to be an F-250 or more likely an F-350 with the 6.7 Powerstroke. Now I pull a 12k gooseneck occasionally so that’s why I want the F350.

Moving to either one of those, would you keep the WDH on or sell it?
docster5095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2021, 08:28 PM   #2
Travel Nurse Chauffeur

Monaco Owners Club
I would head for 70 MPH and see if it gets tail happy.
vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:29 PM   #3

There is a New Post on the General Discussion section titled
"RV Crashes."

Click on it, and all you have to watch is the second video.
Early 2000 GM Dually pulling a TT. No WDH. Doubt that speed was an issue as they were in a single lane construction zone.

If it was me, I'd still use the WD hitch.

Tim
Old 07-26-2021, 09:36 PM   #4

I had a similar setup a few years back and honestly noticed no difference with or without the WDH. I'd generally still use it, if for no other reason, to keep well-meaning folks at gas stations from screaming at me (not to mention the folks around here if I dared to admit I ran without it).

You're unlikely to get an endorsement of ANY reduction of ANY safety device in ANY situation on this message board since around here everyone's neighbor's hairdresser's son's soccer coach caused a 20 car pileup for towing 10# over his GVWR with his tires inflated to 79# instead of 80#..... and his/her insurance company failed to cover them and they are now in prison.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:44 PM   #5

mtofell hit the nail on the head.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:17 AM   #6
AJE

I went from a half ton to a 3/4 ton a few years ago. I have a 32’ 8800lb camper and a 24’ enclosed car hauler (rated 9900lbs but I’ve not had it loaded heavier than about 7k), and figured with the bigger truck I wouldn’t need the WDH. I tried and could feel a noticeable difference with or without the WDH, especially with crosswinds or on the freeway.

Both *could* be towed with a properly equipped half ton, but I’ve never wished for a smaller truck while towing, and the WDH adds even more stability on top of that. Id also recommend buying a larger shank to fit the receiver on the larger truck. The reducer sleeve had too much slop in it.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:27 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would not tow without WD and I feel everything is fine till it is not. That said I do know the hot shooters that tow from the factory to the dealers don't install WD before towing them across the country on just the ball. Again I will always use WD and don't do things based on what someone else does.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by docster5095 View Post
I have a 2021 Alpha Wolf 26DBH-L. We like it. Right now I pull with a 2012 F150 and use an E4 hitch set up properly. No trouble at all towing.

I am buying a new truck next month. It’s either going to be an F-250 or more likely an F-350 with the 6.7 Powerstroke. Now I pull a 12k gooseneck occasionally so that’s why I want the F350.

Moving to either one of those, would you keep the WDH on or sell it?
Ford's Towing Guides:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/d...owingGuide.pdf

Ford's ratings for the F250 with and without WDH is on pg 23, F350 on pg 25, F350 duallie pg 27. The column "Max WT Carrying" is trailer weight without WDH, the column titled "Max WT Distr'ing" is for trailer weight with WDH. The tables assume a 10% tongue weight. So if your tongue weight is higher than 10%, you'll need to take that into account.

That said, you may find you prefer a WDH even at a lower weight than Ford's recommendations.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:45 AM   #9

1st point. If you’re mulling between a 3/4 ton and 1 ton, just go the 1 ton. I just got a 3/4 ton RAM and I love it but I’ll never get a 5th wheel or anything much heavier than 8k. But if you’re already thinking ahead, go the 1 ton.

I always hated hooking up a WD hitch. Just setting up the bars and keeping all the little bits (friction Ls and pins) organized annoyed me. When I got my RAM 2500 I started towing my little Jayco (5500 gross) without the WD hitch and it towed like a dream. Just always kept in mind “know where the trailer brake control is and don’t slam the truck brakes when it it starts swaying). Then we got an Airstream and it came with a ProPride anti sway hitch. I’d never heard of them before, but it’s a pretty neat setup. Supposedly they make it impossible to go into uncontrolled sway and give the same essential ride as a 5th. Wheel. I hav no way to verify those claims, but after towing a few times I certainly can say it gives a nice, solid ride. It does tend to porpoise a but, but I may not have the WD bar tension dialed in yet. The WD bars do not get removed when unhitching so that’s good. The setup is pretty pricy too but like I said, it came with the rig.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:10 AM   #10

WD hitches aren't a panacea and they do have some downsides......still, they have their use. I do NOT use one because it's undesireable to move ANY weight off the rear axle of my dually and increase the front axle weight.

That said, my truck is heavier than the one the OP is considering and my trailer is smaller and a bit lighter.

Dave
Old 07-27-2021, 10:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
1st point. If you’re mulling between a 3/4 ton and 1 ton, just go the 1 ton. I just got a 3/4 ton RAM and I love it but I’ll never get a 5th wheel or anything much heavier than 8k. But if you’re already thinking ahead, go the 1 ton.

I always hated hooking up a WD hitch. Just setting up the bars and keeping all the little bits (friction Ls and pins) organized annoyed me. When I got my RAM 2500 I started towing my little Jayco (5500 gross) without the WD hitch and it towed like a dream. Just always kept in mind “know where the trailer brake control is and don’t slam the truck brakes when it it starts swaying). Then we got an Airstream and it came with a ProPride anti sway hitch. I’d never heard of them before, but it’s a pretty neat setup. Supposedly they make it impossible to go into uncontrolled sway and give the same essential ride as a 5th. Wheel. I have no way to verify those claims, but after towing a few times I certainly can say it gives a nice, solid ride. It does tend to porpoise a but, but I may not have the WD bar tension dialed in yet. The WD bars do not get removed when unhitching so that’s good. The setup is pretty pricy too but like I said, it came with the rig.
I highlighted the part that I wanted to comment on. I am getting ready to go pick up my new TT this weekend, and I almost forgot to include my little plastic bin with all of those little bits and pieces. I probably have enough spare parts on board my truck and could have figured out work arounds for most of the others, but thankfully I realized the plastic bin was not where I thought it was.

I usually store all of the items I need in the pass through when I am not towing, but when we cleaned out the totaled trailer, it has me all twisted out of my routine.

How is the ride between a 3/4 and a 1 ton truck?
Old 07-27-2021, 12:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post

How is the ride between a 3/4 and a 1 ton truck?
Minimal difference on the Fords and Dodges in my fleet however since the new Ram 2500's have coil spring rear suspension, I'm sure they ride better than the 1 ton SRW with it's leafs - I haven't tried one

Dave
Old 07-27-2021, 12:57 PM   #13

I've owned both a 2018 Ram 2500 and now a 2019 3500. The ride difference is minimal. The big difference is on the really rough roads the 3500 is harsher. Around town they feel the same.

To the OP's question, I'd still run a WDH depending on TW. I had a very similar sized TT at 900+ for TW and towed with a 2012 Ram 2500. The main issue was the teeter tottering effect. The front would wallow up and down enough that just using a standard EAZ-Lift WDH made the ride firm enough that everything felt better.

I now tow a 31' 9600 lbs TT with 1350 for TW. It squats the 3500 enough and the front end even with the heavy 6.7 tends to wallow up and down over road undulations more than I like so I use a Blue Ox to firm up the front more.

Yeah it sucks using one but really whats it take 2-3 mins to hitch or unhitch vs hours on the road with a compromised ride?

YMMV
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:35 PM   #14

As far as ride, theyre all terrible, except maybe the ram with the air ride, but i cant confirm that one way or the other because i havent driven one.

As far as the wdh, hook it up and run it down the road. No one on here pulls your trailer loaded how you load yours. If i didnt need it, i wouldnt run one, but thats a decision that you need to make for yourself.

As far as people screaming at me at a gas station, i dont tolerate that kind of crap.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote