Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2020, 07:41 AM   #1

Used HD Truck Market

Is the used Full Size/HD truck market equally insane as the used RV market? Are Private Party sales becoming a thing of the past?

I am planning a used 3/4 ton purchase in the future. No rush, not urgent, but in the next 1-3 years probably. As a result, I just started looking at the used HD (Gas and 3/4 and up) market this week. I noticed two things:
1) Reliable used trucks are becoming more rare in the private party market. It seems a lot of formerly "owner listed" sales have moved to Carvana and Vroom, not to mention CarMax and other traditional used dealers. The private party market is now the exclusive land of salvage title, ultra hi miles, and odd aftermarket customizatons.

2) Used trucks are insanely expensive.
It's been a while since I shopped for a full size truck. I knew these things had become $80,000 showpieces when new. I did not expect modest 5 year old XLTs to command $50,000.

A couple other observations, which are probably obvious to others but I am just realizing:
  • Hard for me to discern much price difference in gas and diesel, surprisingly.
  • Big apparent difference in 4x2 vs. 4x4 price.
  • Big apparent difference in single cab vs 4 door price.

I kind of settled on looking for a 2017 4WD CC F250 Lariat. I thought I was being reasonable and prudent, but by the looks of things it might take all of those 3 years to find one I am willing to buy.

Wish I were richer.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2020, 07:56 AM   #2

I looked at new 2020 trucks back in January anf February. I wanted to see all the hubbub on the 10 speeds, more power, new gas engines.

GM was building the GM trucks lower trim levels like 'Custom'. Ford did not have any 7.3 Godzilla out yet. I got to drive two trucks the GM 2500 HD Custom 6.6 gas and a Ford F-250 diesel. I liked both trucks.
So at the beginning of the year trucks were slim pickins and never ramped up. That probably caused a chain reaction into the used market. Just my guess.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:17 AM   #3

@tuffr2,
How would you peg your Gas 2017 F250 (I think you have one) for pulling a 9,500 lb / 2,000 lb / 29 ft 5er?
Old 09-17-2020, 08:29 AM   #4

One thing that may help if you're looking at lowering cost, look for the lower trim lines. I bought at 2017 F250 XL gasser with the STX package for low $40's. The higher trim lines (lariat, platinum) were an extra $30-40K! Those bells and whistles cost a LOT of money! (And are more things to break or go wrong, in my opinion!) Yes, I have to actually open my tailgate by hand instead of pushing a button, but for $40K, I'm willing to do that.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:46 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jergle View Post
One thing that may help if you're looking at lowering cost, look for the lower trim lines. I bought at 2017 F250 XL gasser with the STX package for low $40's. The higher trim lines (lariat, platinum) were an extra $30-40K! Those bells and whistles cost a LOT of money! (And are more things to break or go wrong, in my opinion!) Yes, I have to actually open my tailgate by hand instead of pushing a button, but for $40K, I'm willing to do that.
Yup. My 19 6.2 was a F250 FX4 XL and my 20 7.3 is a FX4/STX XL.
Real trucks have rubber floormats you can wash off when you have muddy boots.
Real trucks have a driver that is capable of being their own Blind Spot Warning system.
BPTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPTS View Post
Yup. My 19 6.2 was a F250 FX4 XL and my 20 7.3 is a FX4/STX XL.
Real trucks have rubber floormats you can wash off when you have muddy boots.
Real trucks have a driver that is capable of being their own Blind Spot Warning system.
Darn straight! I LOVE the vinyl flooring option! If I can help it, I'll never have another truck with carpet!
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Klompus View Post
Is the used Full Size/HD truck market equally insane as the used RV market? Are Private Party sales becoming a thing of the past?

I am planning a used 3/4 ton purchase in the future. No rush, not urgent, but in the next 1-3 years probably. As a result, I just started looking at the used HD (Gas and 3/4 and up) market this week. I noticed two things:
1) Reliable used trucks are becoming more rare in the private party market. It seems a lot of formerly "owner listed" sales have moved to Carvana and Vroom, not to mention CarMax and other traditional used dealers. The private party market is now the exclusive land of salvage title, ultra hi miles, and odd aftermarket customizatons.

2) Used trucks are insanely expensive.
It's been a while since I shopped for a full size truck. I knew these things had become $80,000 showpieces when new. I did not expect modest 5 year old XLTs to command $50,000.

A couple other observations, which are probably obvious to others but I am just realizing:
  • Hard for me to discern much price difference in gas and diesel, surprisingly.
  • Big apparent difference in 4x2 vs. 4x4 price.
  • Big apparent difference in single cab vs 4 door price.

I kind of settled on looking for a 2017 4WD CC F250 Lariat. I thought I was being reasonable and prudent, but by the looks of things it might take all of those 3 years to find one I am willing to buy.

Wish I were richer.
I have a feeling there will be many trucks for sale at much cheaper prices in 6-12 months. The economic reality of what we're living is starting to sink in for many up here. 2 family members got laid off this week.

When I shopped for my truck 7 years ago I spent almost 7 months looking at ads daily. I made it a routine to check 3 popular websites and set up alerts for when a truck fitting my criteria was newly listed.

There are so many options on trucks don't expect to find a used one matching all your wants and needs the same day. Since you have time, use it, make your want/wish list nd shop slowly. At least we have the internet to help us today,it wasn't like that just over 20 years ago.

FWIW you might just be able to find a new truck for nearly the same price as a 2-3 year old one. Many people are dreaming and listing their 2-3 year old 50-80k mile trucks for barely 15% depreciation. New truck sales can be cheap at times with dealer and manufacturer incentives. I wanted to buy mine outright so when it was listed at under 50% of MSRP and 2 years old I pounced on it, exact color I wanted and all.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:21 AM   #8

Lots of good advice can be gained hear, also, lots of personal preferances.
Im not sure about ford and chevy, but on dodge ram sight, one can put in the vin # of a truck and it will spit out factory specs for that built stock rig.
Wanting just a 2 door simple truck with a diesel, I had to custom order it, if I went gas, lots and lots sitting on lots at a great price.
Best nutral advice I can give, is think about what you want/need, go to a truck forum and search pros and cons and get it right from the people that have them. That means gas vs diesel, vs ride, towing, payload.
I say it all the time, I love my 2015 2500 dodge ram with the cummins, that's deleted. If I did it over again, I would have the same truck off many lots with the 6.4 hemi, as $8,000 for the motor and an $600 more for the trans, is a lot of gas. And mostly a lot less emissions stuff to go wrong.
travelorer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:12 AM   #9

I have a 2WD with locking rear differential. It has a 3,497 lb. payload. I would think it would tow a 9,500lb 5th wheel with 2,000lb. pin weight nicely.

The trouble I am having with my truck is i want a small 5th wheel but it does not have the 5th wheel prep package. Other than that I really like the truck.

I bought it to tow a travel trailer but after looking I like 5th wheels a lot better...oh well.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:55 AM   #10

It’s stupid overpriced you are correct op. Wait till next winter if you can. Have been looking and the prices keep going up, once the Rona money runs out. Boats, RV’s, and trucks are wayyyy to much currently. I’m keeping my truck another year because of it. Just can’t justify that kinda cash when Your going to lose it when it corrects.
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:26 PM   #11

Price... this is why I still have my 1993 F350 7.3 IDIT CC dually which I've owned for over 15 years now. Cheaper to rebuild the engine & drivetrain, and redo the interior than buy anything fairly new. I'm fortunate that the body is excellent with no rust.

Only real downside is I don't have anywhere near the hp and torque of the newer trucks.

But it's REAL nice to not have a car payment that looks like a mortgage payment.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I have a 2WD with locking rear differential. It has a 3,497 lb. payload. I would think it would tow a 9,500lb 5th wheel with 2,000lb. pin weight nicely.

The trouble I am having with my truck is i want a small 5th wheel but it does not have the 5th wheel prep package. Other than that I really like the truck.

I bought it to tow a travel trailer but after looking I like 5th wheels a lot better...oh well.
Ford 5th wheel prep package isn't standard on any 250 trim is it? Has to be ordered?
Old 09-17-2020, 01:15 PM   #13

I have looked every few days at the truck market and found many pages of 2500's for sale. prices seem a little high and many have lots of miles. as for owner sales being few, it is easier to sell to carmax and get a pretty good price and not deal with tire kickers and other folks you dont know. the offshoot of that is carmax sale prices aer a little high. ya cant have one without the other. in my part of the country things seem to be booming and construction is off the charts so subs and tradesmen needing trucks have driven up the price a little. truck/rv dealers have buyers out the kazoo so arent in a dealing mood.
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:04 PM   #14

I have seen a lot of F-350's with the prep package but not many if any F-250's.

I have seen the 5th wheel prep package on a few Ram 2500's and GM 2500's but not many F-250's.

Now to be fair I was not looking for that package when I bought - that turns out to be my bad.

I can have a trailer shop add an under bed gooseneck ($1,200) or the old fashion rails ($800) to attach a 5th wheel hitch too.

I was all set to add the gooseneck but learned you can not see the ball in a crew cab truck. Then the 5th wheel would need another $1,200 Reese Goosebox. It can all be done but would it be better to just get a truck already set up????