Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #43

What about a 2010 or newer F-250 6.2 gas. I would tow a 10k trailer (everything needed for the campsite). It would also be used to commuting to work and toting the kids around town. Are the ford gas engines reliable?
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
It lies in aftermarket parts.

This link covers it pretty well:
6.0L Power Stroke Fixes

After you get done with all that you should have a relatively trouble-free engine that can "do the job" very nicely.

If you skimp on the above, you can have a money-pit on your hands.

Better to do it right the first time.

Yes, the transmissions (and the rest of the truck) are worth having!

Pop
6.0 Power Stroke Fix about covers it all except that you should run semi- or synthetic motor oil. The HPOP oil pump pressurizes the oil to 4000 psi. That is just to high for standard motor oil, hence the need for all the extra oil cooling. Ford failed to tell you this. That said, I saw an immaculant low milage 2004 ,350 Ford sold for $12,000 recently. The old owner had $7,000 in standard Ford repairs and had enough. For that price, you could pay for the after market fixes and buy a lot of synthetic motor oil. Go to Dieselgarage.com to see in depth the problems with the stock 6.0
oldbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #45

Here's 2 more cents,
If you go for an automatic transmission, the 3:73 or higher 4:10 rear end is best. If you want a manual tranny, you can go for a lower rear end ratio.
Most all the 3/4 ton trucks will pull a 12k 5th wheel. Pin weights will be maxed in some, but fine in others. Dodge MegaCab will probably have the lowest payload, but has the bigger cab. Fuel economy is better than a gas engine, but all, Dodge, Ford, Chevy will get between 9-12 towing at 65 or so.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #46

I'd have little trouble towing 12k with my 2500 hd duramax/allison. My concern is the ones earlier than 2006 have injector problems. That's a very expensive fix. If you go the GMC route, see if the injectors have been replaced with the "re-engineered" version. Have the tranny checked out. The duramax, like most diesels are equipped for towing so there's usually little to add in the way of coolers. And most have transmission temp guages. When I'm towing the exhaust gas temp is a more important stat than the transmission temp. I never had a problem with either pulling some fairly steep grades.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #47

Within your budget it does not make sense to pay the $3,000 premium for a diesel engine and have a truck with more than 150K on the odometer and years more wear on every component (AC, alternator, fuel pump, water pump, etc.). For towing a large block V8 gas engine combined with a 4.10 rear end will work nearly as well and you will have a more reliable tow vehicle. What is important is the rear end and if I found a low mileage truck but with the 3.43 or 3.73 rear end then I would pay the $500 to have the rear gears swapped out for 4.10 gears which provide at least 25% more tow capacity and a lot less wear and tear on the engine bearings and transmission.

It is not at all unusual with older trucks to have to have the injectors replaced and this can be a $5k repair. Diesel is priced up with premium gas so the added MPG is negated by the higher cost of the diesel. The pre 2007 engines are more likely to have problems with the ULSD fuel at the pumps, and pre 2010 are more likely to have problems with biodiesel though I avoid the stuff altogether. The flip side is that the pre-2007 engines are going to operate better on the diesel sold south of the border in Mexico. With a gas engine this is also not a concern.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #48

A gas engine does make sense if your trips are short. 50 to 100 miles to a lake to camp. BUT, if you plan a 12,000 mile trip every year, a diesel definately is the better choice. Pulling hard, Gas-6mpg Diesel-12mpg
oldbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #49

Texas Boomers Club
Jayco Owners Club
Looked at new trucks and got sticker shock. So, I bought used 2 months ago. 2000 F250 7.3 powerstroke diesel, crew cab, long bed with 70,000 miles on it. Love the truck and the money still in my pocket.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #50

Just look around and observe the old Diesels that are still used as everyday work truck. Then observe how many old gas trucks are being used. Specialy around here in the north the old faitfull Diesels are strong with some with rough looking bodies.

So I would rather buy a used Diesels than a new truck anytime. And can afford to pay premium price while saving on fuel. I have had 2 gas truck and they were 1/4 tons and never better on fuel then my 3 diesels when towing is in the average fuel consuption.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:20 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
To the OP, Ditto on the extra cooling for the tranny. I had a F350/7.3 for years and the only problem I ever had towing was tranny heat.
I went to a couple of mechanics for tranny advise. One transmission mechanic told me that the tranny cooling capacity was very large on this truck and not to spend money on a cooler. The other mechanic told me to by a tranny gauge so that I could monitor the heat as I was driving. So far, I had the fluid changed and replaced a couple of tranny lines that looked worn.
timberframe is offline   Reply With Quote