Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2017, 01:43 PM   #1

Using Equal-i-zer hitch with 2017 Ford F-150

I read a review of the Equal-i-zer Sway Control hitch, in which the author stated that he actually experienced more erratic trailer behavior with the Equal-i-zer. He believed that the Equal-i-zer hitch in someway interfered with Fords automatic sway control system.

Has anyone here experienced that, or are you happy with running that combo?

Thanks
KnightsWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2017, 02:45 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

"Fords automatic sway control system" kicks in only after you have significant trailer sway. A properly-installed, sized and adjusted Equal-I-Zer hitch should never allow enough trailer sway to activate the electronic sway control system on an F-150.

I tow my TT with a ProPride hitch, and my cargo trailer with a Reese Strait-Line hitch, and I have never noticed the Ford sway control system doing anything. for the last 5 years and about 20,000 towing miles. That's because my WD hitches do the job they were bought to do, therefore no need for the Ford electronic sway control system to do anything but be a backup in case my WD hitch fails to function properly.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:00 PM   #3

Thanks Smokey.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:34 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Currently Using Equilizer Brand WD Hitch on 2017 F-150

Currently using the the Equalizer brand 12,000 lb weight distribution hitch w/ sway control on my 2017 Ford F-150 4x4 crew cab short box. We pull a new 34 ft travel trailer which weighs around 8,000 lbs when loaded for camping. I added aftermarket Hellwig front and rear sway bars, Hellwig rear suspension helper leaf springs (vs air bags), and 10 ply tires to setup the F-150 "correctly" in my opinion for safer towing. I torque the Equalizer sway control thru-bolts to 65 ft. lbs. on both sides before every trip and retighten at our first stop. Never experience any sway control issues when the Equalizer hitch is properly setup like this. I also spent the time to originally setup the Equalizer hitch perfectly including the truck hitch drop height to trailer ball connection height, experimentally determines the optimal amount of washers for the correct weight re-distribution, etc. "Smokey-Ren" is correct in stating that a correctly setup Equalizer WD hitch should not allow enough sway to activate the Ford sway control system. Tidbit, when trailer sway does occur ... only engage the manual trailer brake button / slide on the trailer brake module in your truck ... the trailer braking will pull at the truck and stop the swaying event. Safe travels ...
UtahEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:17 PM   #5

Don't believe everything you read in online reviews. Not all posters are capable of establishing what the cause of an unwanted action is. Did he set up the hitch? Did he know what he was doing? Same questions if set up by the dealer. Lots of them don't.
This is why I believe everyone who tows a trailer needs to know how to adjust his own hitch. It needs to be changed if there are large changes in the weight being towed or moved from front to back. It's not hard, it's not rocket science and once you read and understand the manual you're set.
The original problem is probably due to someone not knowing what they were doing.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:45 PM   #6

Completely agree with previous posts. I own 2016 Ford F 150 with EZ Sway Control towing 7000+ TT and didn't even know my truck was trimmed out with auto sway control. Suggest you try out different settings on your sway control to dial it in. You should pass and be passed by semi-trucks with little to no sway. Great investment in sway control and don't assume dealer has setup correct. Happy Camping.
BobKat2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:08 AM   #7

Thanks for all of the input guys. I was a little skeptical of the post that I referenced. That is why I sought comments on other RVer's experience. For sure I will pay attention to the proper set-up of our hitch. Thanks.

Tags
ford