Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2019, 10:15 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
VIP Tow Brake - worth using? Pics attached...

I bought a used Blue Ox tow bar and this brake unit came with it. I need a harness which Is easy, a mount for the brake unit which I can make, and the company's control module for the coach which is an unknown so far - no luck getting through to VIP RV by phone or email.

So, before I go to the trouble Id like comments from anyone with experience or knowlege about this unit. The alternative is to sell it and get a more modern braking system (this unit is a 2003 vintage) but Id like to try to make this work.

Im told that it had little use and is essentially new, other than being 16 years old. I paid very little for it, so I dont "need" to use it, but this is more a matter of making it work than economics.

One item that concerns me is that the "control module" seems to operate on a mercury switch rahter than a conventional electric trailer brake control. Should this concern me or is it "normal"?

As you can probably tell, Im new to the whole toad concept.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3150.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	237155   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3151.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	237156  

R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2019, 11:08 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Also Ive already done some google searching on the system and dont see anything really alarming, but also not a lot about actual use or benefits of the system. I also saw that a couple folks here were satisfied with the later Mountain Master version, but that was over 10 years ago.

Ill probably bench test the unit and see how it responds to a proportional trailer brake controller. It seems like a more reliable system than the mercury switch (decelerometer?) concept. Im guesing that this system was designed to keep from burning up the toad brakes - why else would they develop "new" brake control technology? But Im easy on the brakes anyway so not terribly concerned.

Any info from people that understand these systems would be helpful.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:49 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smile Mountain Master

Hi Rich, I had the MountainMaster version of this brake. I also got a used one and had a tough time setting it up. For a while it worked fine and then it didn't and then there is no recourse. The manufacturer is no more and my attempts to repair the switch failed. I finally ditched it and got a surge type brake (Midnight Auto?) which I love. Nothing to set up it simply attaches to the tow bar and off you go. I don't think it is possible to break it. I have had it for many years (can't remember the name) in all sorts of conditions and it continues to work as advertised. I hate the ones that have to be plugged in and attached to the brake pedal. The one I have needs to be set up once by running a cable from the brake pedal of the toad to the front of the vehicle and that's it.
Do some research, ask around at campgrounds and happy trails.
Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Craig H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:04 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There is a section for toad towing in the motor home forums that may get you more responses. This is the trailer towing section. Wish I could help but never used a tow bar.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:51 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Copy that - thanks. FWIW I just talked to the owner of VIP and got enough info.

Tags
brake, tow, tow brake