Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2010, 12:02 AM   #1

Want to buy trailer, but inexperienced and have towing questions

Ok, so I'm going to paint the picture before I present the problem.

About 4 months ago I bought a used 2007 dodge 2500HD turbo deisel with about a 4-5inch lift kit and 35inch tires on it. I used to own a Chevy Trailblazer SS and would on occasion rent a 25ft camper trailor. My SS had the prodigy brake controller (which I swapped to the dodge), but when I towed that big of a tailer, it would bounce the short wheel based SS around like a hippety hop even though the little SS would pull it like a champ.

Well I fell in love with the Dodge and love the lifted look... but then after my infatuation for the truck wore off.... the reality set in. How the heck can I tow with this truck? What can I tow with this truck? Did I make a mistake?

Recently I found a used 27ft fifth wheel for about 13k that my wife and I fell in love with, but come to find out... my truck is too high. I would need to flip the axles on the trailer, then put a lift kit (square tube welded between the axle and camper) to make it work. So I decided on getting a trailer.

So the more research I do on trailers, the more I read about sway bars and drop receivers.

So here are my problems:

1) what kind of hitch is recommended?
2) what height should I measure for the hitch?
3) will I be able to pull a trailer comfortably with a lifted truck?
4) my tow rating is about 13,500 (I think), will I be able to pull that much?

I really appreciate the help and hope to be out there with you all camping and enjoying this hobby very soon!
00Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #2

welcome to irv2

generally a lifted truck is not the best choice for towing. but thats the truck u have and well go w that.

depending on the lift your tow ratings may have changec, ex. if the rear was new springs with a diff rating vs blocks. stuff like that.

you mileage will prob be very low just bc of the drag on a truck so high off the gound.

with all that said u can tow with it but should have the right hitch and have the trailer pulled level.

others will chime in also good luck.
TEX-CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First Welcome, now the Bad

As far as the TT you found yes, you can go thru all of the trouble of lifting it, which will then raise your over all center of gravity and make the TT more unstable, it will also make it harder to get under the over-passes.
The other option is to lower the truck back down to stock whick will also cost you alot but you can sell the lift kit and recoup some of the money.

What to do, what to do, that is the question

I did forget about buying another Tow rig
Old 06-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Get rid of the truck. Decide on the RV you want first. Use the specs for the RV to select the appropriate TV or keep falling in love with your truck.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:27 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies!

I'm thinking that if I get the correct drop on a receiver (maybe an adjustable hitch) that keeps the trailer level and get a good sway control setup for the trailer... All the while keeping the Gross tow weight within a safe boundary... All should be good.

Now, I figure since the truck is lifted and has oversize (35inch) tires... that the factory tow rating is compromised. But I should still be able to get a trailer that has a 7000-8000 dry weight! Even though my truck is altered, I know it should be able to safely pull more than a 1/2 ton.

Any inputs?
Adjustable hitch recomendtions?
Sway control recomendations?

Again, I appreciate the inputs!!
Old 06-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #6

ck the ratings of the tires and axles
TEX-CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Generally a lifted and modified truck with over-sized tires will not tow as much or as well as a truck at stock height with stock tires. Both items added will reduce the tow rating and stability.

The lift and over-sized tires may look pretty to some, but they are not what you need for towing.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Generally a lifted and modified truck with over-sized tires will not tow as much or as well as a truck at stock height with stock tires. Both items added will reduce the tow rating and stability.

The lift and over-sized tires may look pretty to some, but they are not what you need for towing.

Ken

I know, but its what I have and I got to work with it... so with that being said, what kinds of drop receivers will still let me use a sway stabilizer (or whatever their called)?

Will the drop receiver in this link work with a sway stabilizer?

Andersen Hitch - The Rapid Hitch 3411 - StreetSideAuto

How do the sway stabilizer's work?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:11 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Vette View Post
I know, but its what I have and I got to work with it... so with that being said, what kinds of drop receivers will still let me use a sway stabilizer (or whatever their called)?

Will the drop receiver in this link work with a sway stabilizer?

Andersen Hitch - The Rapid Hitch 3411 - StreetSideAuto

How do the sway stabilizer's work?
No it will not work. this is NOT a Weight distributing hitch. That is what you need and as far as I know they don't make one for a drop receiver.

Lower the truck, raise the TT and make it more unstable, get rid of the truck and get another TV, or give up the idea.
I know not what you wanted to hear but it's the reality of being safe for you, your family, and the rest of us driving down the road.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:22 AM   #10

You bought a used truck, so as long as you didn't overpay, you should be able to sell it for about what you paid for it.

Then buy a stock height truck.

That will be MUCH easier, cheaper and safer than all the other options.
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
No it will not work. this is NOT a Weight distributing hitch. That is what you need and as far as I know they don't make one for a drop receiver.

Lower the truck, raise the TT and make it more unstable, get rid of the truck and get another TV, or give up the idea.
I know not what you wanted to hear but it's the reality of being safe for you, your family, and the rest of us driving down the road.
can I put a weight distributing hitch on this drop receiver?

Drop Hitch Receivers by Blue Ox on Sale
Old 06-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I guess they do but it's like anything else, the more links you add the more to go wrong. Besides depending on the lift on the truck it may not sit right anyway.
IMO trade trucks for one that is level or at least with a complete suspension upgrade such as Ait Bag It or Kelderman Air Ride Suspension which will allow you to raise it or lower it.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:05 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Call Blue Ox and see what they say and if you can get you money back if it does not work out or creates a problem with your truck frame.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Call Blue Ox and see what they say and if you can get you money back if it does not work out or creates a problem with your truck frame.

ken
That's a good idea, I'll do that! It's gotta work, and I love my truck lifted so I want to avoid getting rid of it. I just need to find a medium.. You know what I mean?