Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2017, 11:37 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have someone in my life that can't get around very easily, her knees are shot. I have one of these, and it's been great for the few times she has needed to use it:

http://a.co/dOp33OY

It takes up so little space when folded up I can take it anywhere I need to go. If it might help you, I hope you can find one. Good luck on finding a tow vehicle you can use for your situation.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2017, 08:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I have someone in my life that can't get around very easily, her knees are shot. I have one of these, and it's been great for the few times she has needed to use it:

http://a.co/dOp33OY

It takes up so little space when folded up I can take it anywhere I need to go. If it might help you, I hope you can find one. Good luck on finding a tow vehicle you can use for your situation.
I actually saw a fairly large fella use one of these several years ago to help him get into his work van. He pulled it out from behind the seat and quickly unfolded it. IT was attached to a small cord or rope. He put it down on the ground as a step and used it as a step stool. Once seated he reached down with his left hand and pulled up the cord and folded the stool and put it behind his seat and closed the door and drove off. Was a slick setup for sure and worked for his needs.
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:35 AM   #17

I feel I need to clarify my thinking on this. I've indication experiences shared by folks with mid to slightly larger diesel 'European origin' V6, SUV's; the likes of MB ML350 & VW Tourage and perhaps even BMW 'X' series, that with the correct tow kit, load balance & anti sway, electric brakes and tranny coolers that they can comfortably manage on the highway with fuel economy in the range of 15 mpg (SAE) while draggin' 2-3 ton. I want to find out the experiences of folk who've tried to tow a 2-3 ton TT with the likes of a current late model, V6, AWD, Hyundia Santa FE XL, Kia Sorrento and/or Toyota Highlander. I'm not interest at this time in a full size pick-up or SUV based on a full size pick-up frame due to the floor pan height and that my wife will not drive a vehicle this large. This vehicle will be our sole car.
Frankenfingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenfingr View Post
I feel I need to clarify my thinking on this. I've indication experiences shared by folks with mid to slightly larger diesel 'European origin' V6, SUV's; the likes of MB ML350 & VW Tourage and perhaps even BMW 'X' series, that with the correct tow kit, load balance & anti sway, electric brakes and tranny coolers that they can comfortably manage on the highway with fuel economy in the range of 15 mpg (SAE) while draggin' 2-3 ton. I want to find out the experiences of folk who've tried to tow a 2-3 ton TT with the likes of a current late model, V6, AWD, Hyundia Santa FE XL, Kia Sorrento and/or Toyota Highlander. I'm not interest at this time in a full size pick-up or SUV based on a full size pick-up frame due to the floor pan height and that my wife will not drive a vehicle this large. This vehicle will be our sole car.
The only one's I have heard from that tried it came here or a couple of other places to find out why they were terrified of driving the setup the salesman said was fine.

As somebody pointed out, those vehicles lack cargo weight capacity. I think mostly because they do not have the rear axle capacity and a body pan flexes more than a frame. I'm sure somebody will set me straight if I am wrong. ;-)

Speaking from the perspective of someone with both knees and both hips replaced it is a lot easier to get in and out of a higher vehicle with a decent running board than it is to do it with a low vehicle where I have to uncoil and lever myself up out of it. BTDT.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:42 AM   #19

Probably not exactly what you are looking for but a Lexus GX 460 is definitely capable of the towing and axle/payload ratings. It is a gussied up Toyota 4Runner with a thirsty V8. Step in height might be an issue. Another good alternative would be the Buick Enclave or Chevy Traverse or Ford Explorer; these are longer wheelbase, larger crossovers that have around 5,000 lb tow capacity, but again be aware of payload/axle ratings.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:47 AM   #20

I was looking at the Jeep site yesterday, and it looks like the Grand Cherokee still has the same 7,200 lb tow rating. Several models, none of which would present a high entry to your wife as they are passenger models. Air suspension on some.......
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:54 AM   #21

You can start here:

Trailer Towing Guides | www.trailerlife.com

I don't think you should have expectations of 15 mpg towing a 2-3T travel trailer.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:32 AM   #22

Check out the following "https://youtu.be/Hmg3A5l9s0M" Is this misleading?

Old 07-06-2017, 12:22 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I don't know if it's misleading. There was nothing other than what was being said to go off of. If I was gonna tow with a mid-size SUV anything near the max tow rating, it would pretty much require the Hensley hitch. The trailer might be at our just below tow rating, but without knowing axle weights, we don't know if the tow vehicle is overloaded or not.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:54 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I want to find out the experiences of folk who've tried to tow a 2-3 ton TT with the likes of a current late model, V6, AWD, Hyundia Santa FE XL, Kia Sorrento and/or Toyota Highlander.
You're dreaming

Darling Wife (DW) is 85 years old and stove up with rumatoid arthritus. She uses a rollator for most of her walking.

Our tow vehicle is an F-150 4x2 with "running boards". She crawls up into her seat while I stow the rollator in the back seat. Our TT grosses about 5,000 pounds when wet and loaded for the road.

Our "car" is a 2017 Highlander V6 XLE 4x2, also with factory running boards. Wonderful family car (for two old folks and two dogs), but not a good tow vehicle for a normal TT. The Highlander is no easier for her to get into than the F-150. I suspect the same would be true for any medium-sized crossover SUV, or even the Expedition full-size SUV.

Our TT is a Skyline Nomad Joey 19.6. Two steps to crawl up into it. DW complains about those steps, but she "makes do" to get into and out of the Joey. She'd rather travel and put up with the pain of stepping up into the tow vehicle or "car" or TT than to stay home and wait for her final breath. I'm proud of her.

No, you don't need AWD or 4x4. I've never had one, and I've lived in snow country for dozens of years. Put the right tires on a 4x2 and learn how to drive. AWD or 4x4 usually adds step-up height to any vehicle. My Highlander is high enough without needless increase in step-in height.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:18 AM   #25

Guess I'll have to look elsewhere for the info I want...........
Old 07-17-2017, 10:33 AM   #26

I think you're more likely to find the combination of low step-in height with good towing capacity in a full-size van than a small or medium SUV.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:40 AM   #27

I don't think anyone is making what he wants anymore.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:16 PM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Guess I'll have to look elsewhere for the info I want...........
If the info you want is for someone to tell you that those vehicles are fine for what you want to tow, the only person that will tell you that are the people that will take a commission from selling you the vehicle.

Be careful.

Tags
tow, towing