Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2018, 09:57 AM   #1

WD Hitch Measurements

We are new TT owners (Grand Design 2970) with a Equalizer 12k hitch installed by the dealer and a RAM 2500 truck. Haven't really been on any trips with it yet but wanted to re-measure for the hitch now that the trailer is more or less loaded and this is what I got (inches from ground to top of wheel well):

No load front 40.75
No load rear 43.5

Loaded front 41.25
Loaded rear 42

With WD front 41
With WD rear 42

End result, with the WD the front returns 1/4" of the 1/2 it raised and the rear goes down by 1.5" and stays there. So while the WD seems to be helping a bit, it's not doing a whole lot.

I checked the Equalizer site and they say as long as the front returns at least half way (which my setup does) then it should be okay but considering I'm right on the "okay" line, and wouldn't mind working on it to learn a bit, I'm thinking go for the adjustment. Would you agree or is it fine as is and any gain would be on the non-noticeable, fringe area?

Since the dealer that installed it is about a half hour away, I'm thinking the best option is to raise the L bracket 1 step and see if that helps, agreed? I don't have the tools to take apart the hitch, adjust washers and re-torque it but should be able to move the L bracket without too much trouble.
Perrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2018, 10:50 AM   #2

Take it out for a ride see how it handles. If it doesn't feel right then adjust but it sounds pretty good.
russr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by russr View Post
Take it out for a ride see how it handles. If it doesn't feel right then adjust but it sounds pretty good.
Unfortunately I'm new both to driving a truck and to towing so I don't really know what feels right. We've only towed it from the dealer to our storage place so far (about 35 miles) and it had more bouncing up and down than expected but no sway issues. Towing it didn't really feel bad but....compared to what?
Perrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:08 AM   #4

It shouldn't feel much different then driving without a trailer other then the weight.
russr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Another thing you could do is go get it weighed at a truck stop. It might give you an idea about how the differences in heights might relate to weight and balancing that out between the front and rear axles.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:25 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrien View Post
No load front 40.75
With WD front 41
Quarter-inch rise is almost perfect tightness of the spring bars.

Quote:
So while the WD seems to be helping a bit, it's not doing a whole lot.
You could try tightening the spring bars a hair more, but not enough to reduce the rise to less than zero.

Then after the trailer and truck are both loaded for the trip - not just "more or less loaded" - and with the spring bars tight, check the level of the floor of the trailer, front to rear. It should be level. Best is to use a 4' carpenter's level to check the level of the trailer. If the trailer is not level front to rear, then raise or lower the ball mount on the adjustable shank to result in the floor of the wet and loaded and hitched up trailer being level front to rear. Then do the final check of the rise in the front fender well. It should still be between zero and 1/4" rise.

Don't worry about the sag in the rear end of the tow vehicle. Get the front end right, and the rear end should take care of itself.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:12 PM   #7

I use a Blue OX. My front returns to a 1/4" and handles perfect. If I tighten another link it does not handle as well.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote