Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2006, 08:46 PM   #1

I have an Equalizer WD hitch that came with the TT I bought used a while ago. Since this was my first WD hitch and there is no ball height adjustment, when I picked up the TT I just threw on the hitch, put on the weight bars and went home. My question is, since the Equalizer brand hitches have weight bars that are set in place, unlike other hitchs, do I need to reset the bars to my truck? The truck it was on was a 90's something chevy 1/2 ton so I dint think I had to. Although in reality I never saw it hooked up so it may have been draging on the ground for all I know. But the other day I decided to try and move them up a notch to see what would happen and of course it keep the back from squating as much. The truck would really only seem to squat when we were loaded with gear and toys in the bed anyways. So now I dont know what to do. Do I just keep adjusting until...well when do I stop? Will the bars bend, like going in a driveway or dip? Will it affect driving? I dont really know what to do. Any advise is appreciated.
KATOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2006, 08:46 PM   #2

I have an Equalizer WD hitch that came with the TT I bought used a while ago. Since this was my first WD hitch and there is no ball height adjustment, when I picked up the TT I just threw on the hitch, put on the weight bars and went home. My question is, since the Equalizer brand hitches have weight bars that are set in place, unlike other hitchs, do I need to reset the bars to my truck? The truck it was on was a 90's something chevy 1/2 ton so I dint think I had to. Although in reality I never saw it hooked up so it may have been draging on the ground for all I know. But the other day I decided to try and move them up a notch to see what would happen and of course it keep the back from squating as much. The truck would really only seem to squat when we were loaded with gear and toys in the bed anyways. So now I dont know what to do. Do I just keep adjusting until...well when do I stop? Will the bars bend, like going in a driveway or dip? Will it affect driving? I dont really know what to do. Any advise is appreciated.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:44 AM   #3

I also have the Equal-i-zer brand hitch, but mine has the adjustable hitch head on it. On the ones with the adjustable hitch head, the bar tension is increased by "leaning" the hitch head more toward the rear of the vehicle. The L-brackets (on the trailer A-frame) are only adjusted to make the bars level to the trailer frame.

However, since you say you do not have an adjustable hitch head, it seems to me that your only choice for increasing the tension on the bars would be to bump the L-brackets up a notch.

As for your question of when to stop adjusting- I stopped adjusting mine when the truck sat level when it was loaded down like I was about to head out. And the bars are springs- they are supposed to bend when driving through a dip in the road.

Good luck!
Old 01-10-2006, 10:04 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply. I have been doing some research and found that I have the 12k model and I found a shop that can reweld the head in a different position. New heads are around $350. To expensive.