Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2019, 11:33 AM   #1

WDH Grinding! Help!

We pulled our E-pro 19BH on her first trip. The E-pro pulled perfectly for us, we pull with a 2018 Ford Explorer V-6 eco boost 4WD. We had an Equalizer WDH from our previous (32 foot) camper. We had it installed on this camper but the technician had never installed this type hitch. He seemed very uneducated on the Equilizer hitch and made us very nervous as we were 4 hours from home. Once the hitch was mounted we loaded the E-pro and pulled out but the hitch made alot of sqeaking and grinding of metal sounds with every bump and turn. I pulled back up to the office and spoke to the tecnician who installed it. He told us this hitch was "supposed to do this". We only pulled the 32 foot trailer one time as we set it up on a lake and I can't remember if it made noise or not but this is very loud. It sounds like grinding metal. It does not do this going down the road but any turns or bumps and it is very loud? Also hitch and camper are very level. Bars are easily moved into place with weight on electric jack. Does anyone know if this is normal for this WDH? We are 4 hours from the dealer and they say it's normal?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2019, 05:30 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It is, sort of. The Equalizer if set up properly will be squeeky and clunky until you lube the pivot points of the hitch head and grease the ball, and also until the surface rust wears off the bars where they contact the perches they rest on. Completely normal and no cause for alarm. Mine takes a few miles each trip to quiet down if it has not been used recently.

They make some hard plastic pads that go on the bar perches that take all the creaking and groaning out of it and they only cost a couple bucks.
https://www.amazon.com/Equal-i-zer-9...P8X09GEMW4XPPG

I just ordered these, been meaning to for awhile.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:44 PM   #3

Thank you for the info!
Old 06-29-2019, 09:40 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have an Equal-I-Zer WDH, and if I lubricate it according to the manufacturer's instructions, it's quiet.

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/manuals-and-guides
Old 06-29-2019, 08:45 PM   #5

I've had trailer/hitch setups myself and heard plenty rolling through campgrounds that make A LOT of squeaks, especially rolling and turning at low speeds. It always worried me since most trailers don't make noise but was always told this was normal. I never had any problems or failures due to the noise but I know that doesn't help much. I ultimately fixed it by getting a 5th wheel
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:07 PM   #6

Mine squawks and sqeaks at low speed turns, I have lubed them before, and it quiets them down, but the lower turning resistance seems to amplify sway from passing trucks, so I only lube the ball now.
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:54 PM   #7

There are also plastic caps for the "L" bars where the bars go. This combined with greased pivot points and greased ball joint really make mine quiet. If mine makes noise it is time to apply new grease...
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:12 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
An Equalizer hitch is how you tell who's an RV'er and who's not when you pull into a gas station. The RV'ers are thinking, "an equalizer", the non RV'ers have their eyes bugged out trying to figure out what's breaking off your trailer.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:45 PM   #9

WDH Grinding! Help!

I thought the plastic caps would reduce sway control because of less friction.

The noise bugs some people, but doesn’t bother me.

If everything is level you’re probably in the ballpark and I wouldn’t worry unless it towed like crap.

Also, it seems that you went to a lighter trailer. The bars you have might be rated too high.
USAMTBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAMTBR View Post
I thought the plastic caps would reduce sway control because of less friction.

The noise bugs some people, but doesn’t bother me.

If everything is level you’re probably in the ballpark and I wouldn’t worry unless it towed like crap.

Also, it seems that you went to a lighter trailer. The bars you have might be rated too high.
Since the caps are sold by Equalizer I wouldn't worry about loss of sway control. Plus it controls uneven wear of metal on metal. My rides snug as a bug. 33 ft from hitch to back of bikes on rear.
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle2 View Post
An Equalizer hitch is how you tell who's an RV'er and who's not when you pull into a gas station. The RV'ers are thinking, "an equalizer", the non RV'ers have their eyes bugged out trying to figure out what's breaking off your trailer.
So right !
Old 07-04-2019, 03:59 PM   #12

Really good info to know. Now I can tell wife its normal.
dragon2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:58 PM   #13

Glad I read this post. I was worried that the groaning was due to incorrect setup. I only noticed it when we first took off, it was quiet on the road. The guy that walked us thru the RV said the noise was normal (original owner was deceased, friend helped us when we went to pick it up). I did stop and buy a grease gun on the road and after hitting the zirks, it did seem to quiet it down. I never thought to add some to the ball tho.
LPVagabonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:04 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I just bought a set of the plastic pads and they work as advertised. According to Equalizer the sway control comes from the resistance of the pivot points in the head, not the bars rubbing the pads. Either way it has not changed the way mine handles at all.

A guy I work with was complaining the other day that when he greases his hitch it still makes noise. Turns out he was greasing the bars where they ride on the L brackets. Don't know what made him think to grease those, says in the manual specifically not to grease there.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote