Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2019, 08:55 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
WDH use without bars?

I'm going to be new to WDH towing and was curious if I needed to use the bars for short in town moves. Specifically from the storage yard to the house when I want to load or wash the unit. Less than 6 miles and speed limits on those streets are 25-35mph. Thx
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2019, 11:29 PM   #2

You will probably be ok. I know my Super Duty doesn’t sag enough to even need the WDH bars. I use the mainly for sway elimination. I don’t have sway without them though. If you have a Ram truck with air bags, not real springs, you will need them because they sag real bad.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:15 AM   #3

There are different tongue weight limits on most hitches both with and without bars so it could depend on your hitch and trailer.
ASTMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:43 AM   #4

It is difficult to predict what you might encounter, even on short in-town trips. The weight transfer and handling improvements of the bars might be important in avoiding an accident or dealing with a very rapid stop. I would be inclined to always use them.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:44 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptdzl View Post
I'm going to be new to WDH towing and was curious if I needed to use the bars for short in town moves.
A WDH without the spring bars is a weight-carrying (WC) hitch.

You have a half-ton pickup. I don't know about Ram, but Ford requires a WDH for any tongue weight (TW)more than 500 pounds on the F-150. I would be even more strict and say you need a WDH for any TW more than a coupla hundred pounds.

With a WC hitch, tongue weight on the ball about four feet behind the rear axle unloads the front axle, which reduces steering an handling capability.

So whether you're towing a few blocks or a few thousand miles, you need the WDH with spring bars tight and properly adjusted.

Can you "get by" with the reduced steering and handling capability for a few miles? Probably, if you're lucky and very careful and don't get in a hurry.

But why take the chance? After you learn how to install and adjust the spring bars, then after you have the trailer connected and plugged in with the safety chains connected, it requires only a few seconds more to properly install and adjust the spring bars.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:07 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ALL good info thats why I like asking for help here

Can you "get by" with the reduced steering and handling capability for a few miles? Probably, if you're lucky and very careful and don't get in a hurry.

I knew that but didn't think of that when asking.

But why take the chance? After you learn how to install and adjust the spring bars, then after you have the trailer connected and plugged in with the safety chains connected, it requires only a few seconds more to properly install and adjust the spring bars.

I would think with repetitive practice the few extra minutes wouldn't make that big a difference.

Everyone, Thank you for your input and advice. This will be change for me but again with practice should be a non issue. Safe travels ALL.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:17 PM   #7

I would say depends...depends on the speed you will travel. Towing at 35 - 45 mph is a heck of a lot different than towing at 65 - 72 mph on the freeway.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:27 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes 35mph tops just moving it in the city from storage lot to S&B. Fits in the driveway so we can load, wash and do minor maintenance. Just cant keep it there long term.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:05 AM   #9

I would. That short distance and those speeds are going to cause sway or poor handling.
You don't say what the tongue weight is though. If it's over the max for no WDH then thats your call.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:05 PM   #10

As long as you have enough truck, you'll be fine. If you're trying to tow a 12,000 pound 40 footer with an F150, then no, use the bars. If you're towing a 5,000 pound 30 footer with an F250 diesel, then you're fine.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:08 PM   #11

It really depends on what type of truck you have but honestly it takes 5 mins or so to put the bars on so why not just do it.
elite wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:01 PM   #12

My husky wd hitch specifically states its tongue weight without the bars hooked up is only 600lbs compared to 1200 with them hooked up. So not only look at your truck but your hitch too. On a side note last season was the first time I have ever hooked up a weight distribution hitch and now only one year later from backing up to pulling out fully hooked is only about 5 minutes or so. Once you figure it out you will start picking up little tricks to save you time.

2021 Vengeance Rogue 371
Kschumake83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:06 AM   #13

As mentioned it depends on how the TV reacts to trailer tongue weight. I tow my trailer from storage to home without WD applied regularly, it tows better without WD in my opinion.