Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2020, 12:49 PM   #1

Skyline Owners Group
Question We need a quick answer on wt. dist. asap PLZ! 25% coupon expires tomorrow 12/6/20

Hi All,
Thanks for everything I've learned here so far, only been here a few weeks.

So I am pulling a (4000 Lb dry/6200 Max). Skyline with a Tahoe (for the time being). It's pretty heavy on the tongue so I am buying a weight distribution hitch.

I have a coupon for 25% off from Harbor Freight, somewhere I can afford. But as I said it expires tomorrow....

I know to expect the chains to possibly need replacement to larger links.

But I still have one question that's time sensitive because of the expiration on the coupon so please if you read this chime in.

Their only one is rated at 10,000 Lbs. Is this suitable for the set up at all?
if it is doable and is a compromise in some way can you let me know how/why?

Thanks so much. Like everyone things are tight here given the times so I want to jump, but only if it's wise.

Stay safe and healthy,
Karl & Denise
Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2020, 01:27 PM   #2

I would be leery of a WD system from Harbor Freight. They have many beneficial things there. I'm going there myself today. That said, I would not trust that product with the lives of my family or others. Also, read the fine print on that 25% off coupon. There are a whole lot of things that do not qualify for the discount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HF25off.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	310353  
Old 12-05-2020, 01:48 PM   #3

Remember that your GVWR is determined by the least-rated component of tires, springs and axles. Installing a 10K capacity/rated hitch does not make the vehicle capable of carrying/towing 10K. I too like HF but might be a bit leery of such a critical component without a major manufacturer backing.
Firedog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 04:35 PM   #4

How much is the HF WDH? Does it come with sway control? Try Husky Centerline. It’s cheap equalizer knockoff but worked very well for me.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 05:27 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You need to know the spring rating and you tongue weight. The ideal setup is for the spring ratting to be the same as the tongue weight. I know the WDH's I had, had a range +- about 50% of the set of spring ratting.

The further you are outside of the range, the rougher the ride and more bounce you get.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:22 PM   #6

Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedog53 View Post
Remember that your GVWR is determined by the least-rated component of tires, springs and axles. Installing a 10K capacity/rated hitch does not make the vehicle capable of carrying/towing 10K. I too like HF but might be a bit leery of such a critical component without a major manufacturer backing.
Yep, got that but seriously thanks for the comment. That would be like expecting more HP because of a bigger gas tank. LOL
Old 12-05-2020, 07:24 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Harbor Freight has a lot of Chinese JUNK. I would be leery of any critical component from HF. My 2 cents worth.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:31 PM   #8

Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
You need to know the spring rating and you tongue weight. The ideal setup is for the spring ratting to be the same as the tongue weight. I know the WDH's I had, had a range +- about 50% of the set of spring ratting.

The further you are outside of the range, the rougher the ride and more bounce you get.
I deal isn't going to be happening till I get back to work. I do know that the weight on the tongue cane come down a bit by design. The 38 Gal clean tank is all the way at the back bumper (and both grey and black). So it's an assumption and I will be careful with that thinkling. It's only been pulled home from buying it last month.

Thanks for that suggested Calculation. I'll look into it as a starting point.

I have seen some comments that it could be "too stiff"
....? But the source wasn't a pro or even a respected source. so I am wondering...
Old 12-05-2020, 07:34 PM   #9

Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky8668 View Post
How much is the HF WDH? Does it come with sway control? Try Husky Centerline. It’s cheap equalizer knockoff but worked very well for me.
It's 209.00. I can almost afford it with the 25% off. This whole thing is a very tight budget. Heck with how things are I may end up living in it. I will search on that Husky, Thanks for the lead!
Old 12-05-2020, 07:37 PM   #10

Skyline Owners Group
PS OP here. I am specifcly wondering about Known safety issues and if it could be somehow "too strong"? THX.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layton1950 View Post
PS OP here. I am specifcly wondering about Known safety issues and if it could be somehow "too strong"? THX.
You may transfer too much tongue weight to the vehicle front axle and trailer axle, which is equivalent to a “light tongue” and your trailer could be the “happy dog tail” on the road.

These spring bars not only have max weight transfer limit, they also have minimum weight transfer spec when lightly engaged. The minimum weight transferred on these overkill WDH could still transfer too much weight for your trailer.

Poorly matched WDH actually can cause sway.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:52 PM   #12

Check craigslist as well. You might find a deal on a better used one.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:49 PM   #13

Skyline Owners Group
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky8668 View Post
You may transfer too much tongue weight to the vehicle front axle and trailer axle, which is equivalent to a “light tongue” and your trailer could be the “happy dog tail” on the road.

These spring bars not only have max weight transfer limit, they also have minimum weight transfer spec when lightly engaged. The minimum weight transferred on these overkill WDH could still transfer too much weight for your trailer.

Poorly matched WDH actually can cause sway.
... and there it is. I knew there must be a reason that 6000 LB units were so common. Thanks a ton. iRV2 comes through again. I've been luking since we first thought of this. I just new someone here would fill me in.

I never thought of it in those terms but it makes perfect sense. And putting water in the tank as planned could make it disastrously light tongued. That is where my thinking was going too. I would have tried to reduce the T. weight as low as was safe then over done the WDH... I could have been WAY worse off than being a bit heavy on the tongue... yiles! Thanks so much again!!! You have very likely helped avert a very bad thing.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:28 AM   #14

Here is an old ad showing just how much weight a weight distributing hitch can take off the rear wheels. They were actually able to drive the car like this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B5001CBE-7F36-4C7F-A5DC-2C233A074939.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	283.1 KB
ID:	310418