Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2021, 08:18 PM   #1

Weigh-Safe vs BulletProof opinions

I got my Equalizer when I had my F150 and I didn't want the 9000 pound ORV wagging the dog. Now that I've a real truck I'm thinking the Equalizer is overkill. The other reason, OK, the real reason is I'm sick of wrestling with the 80 pound monster. I can't lower my tailgate with it on either.

1. Am I deluding myself thinking that I don't need sway bars?
2. Am I wasting money on the Weigh-Safe? It makes sense IF you can adjust your tongue weight but that's not gunna happen with the ORV so I might as well save my money and get a BulletProof shank and ball. Actually, that is more than the Weigh-Safe. $70 more for the BulletProof seems worth it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2021, 10:03 AM   #2

The bullet proof is a nice looking hitch. Have been looking at them but ultimately went with a shocker hitch.
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:08 AM   #3

1st off where do you get the 9,000 lb loaded weight from? That TT has 3250 lbs for CCC. If you're putting 3250 lbs in it I'd like to what and where. Thats a lot of stuff in a small TT.

ORV site shows dry TW of 899 lbs. Guessing you're loaded TW is around 1150 lbs?
Thats a lot of weight hanging off the rear of the truck. It will cause some pogo stick stuff when hitting dips. I

FWIW I have a 3500 with 4558 lbs for CCC and still use a WDH with 1350 lbs of TW. It's more about controlling the push/pull up/down forces the TT's TW puts on the truck vs needing one for just the weight of the tongue it's self.

I do hear ya on yanking the WDH around. I use a Blue Ox and it's no different .

Also I've never had to adjust my TW. I just load up and adding a few 100 lbs to the TW makes very little difference. My fresh is over the rear axle, When it empties it goes in front of the axles. Both my grey and black are in front of the axles. So I literally dump about 400 lbs in front of the axles. How much that changes the TW I have no idea.

Have you actually towed without your WDH? Just put the shank in and try it.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 11:07 PM   #4

21RWS empty 6745
100 gal H2O 830
Tools in front 150
LP 80
Total 7800

OK, so I guess we've got 1100 pounds of TP and fresh underwear.
So shoot me!

We certainly have a few hundred pounds of food, drinking, water, etc so now we're at 8000.

As for TW I figure the tools and LP go straight onto the 900 empty TW so that makes 1130 TW so you're close. How is that a lot for an F350? I have a lot of stuff in the bed but it's not very heavy stuff. I figure I'm a good 1500 pounds shy of my payload. After my first tow with the 350 I realized the Equalizer's F150 setup was transferring way too much to the front axle so I backed it off to where it's practically neutral and the truck is perfectly level. I really doubt that I need the bars at all. I guess I should try towing without the bars before I buy the BulletProof. But that Equalizer is SUCH a pain in the back!
Old 08-25-2021, 11:53 PM   #5

Your TT's 4' shorter and lighter than mine so you may not get the bouncy front end I do.
I'm at 31'2" and 9600 lbs per Oregon scales. I've never towed without a WDH but did start with 1500 lb bars. The front of the truck was still soft feeling with the bars cranked up tight. So I went to 2000 lb bars and crank them so they're level or so with the tongue. Guessing I'm using 1750 lbs of them.
I also use Strapteks vs the chains. So much easier.

BTDT with an EQ. I hated every time I used it in early 2010-12. When we went back to a TT after our previous 5er I said no way on an EQ again.
The heads are the same weight wise but I don't have to deal with the heavy bars. With the BO the bars store perfectly right on the inside edge of the storage doors.

1130 is not too much for the bed, but hanging off the rear it makes the truck react different. All you can do is try it without the WDH.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:31 PM   #6

Yeah, I'll probably just continue to moan about it. The rig drives like a sports car. I love to come whipping around two lane mountain roads up onto the backside of some goober in some sedan. I don't get out of line, mind you, but if THEY don't use the Slow Vehicle Pullout then they might start seeing my high beams.

Tags
roof