Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2022, 03:55 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
Are you OK ?
That link is a study from 1977 about station wagons towing without a WDH !
CamperLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2022, 03:57 AM   #30

Quote:
Actually it does point out the evils of weight distribution hitches. The principles established in that study are still valid today.
Absolutely not. You can't be serious.
Like I posted the other night, let us know when you have proof of your claim that jackknifing is more likely at more than 15% TW.
Old 04-28-2022, 03:59 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
I had not heard of the jackknife issue before I read it on these forums. My understanding has always been too much tongue weight could cause control/overloading problems.
Of course you can overload a TV suspension with too much tongue weight ... or too much cabin cargo or too many passengers, or ... ETC.
Old 04-28-2022, 06:06 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperLifer View Post
Absolutely not. You can't be serious.

Like I posted the other night, let us know when you have proof of your claim that jackknifing is more likely at more than 15% TW.
The paper I linked to should explain the phenomenon of oversteer and jackknifing. It's the most comprehensive study publicly available on the subject and on the issue of towing stability in general. It is backed up by over 600 full scale tests using both cargo trailers and travel trailers. Aside from the study, however, it should be intuitively obvious that a high tongue weight will promote oversteer and jackknifing. Try to think what happens with all that weight forward of the trailer axles when you go around a turn. As the horizontal g force at the ball mount increases it pushes the rear of the tow vehicle outwards away from its intended path. You might also look into the SAE J2807 towing standard. This document requires truck manufacturers to pass an understeer test to justify their towing claims. Too much tongue weight and the rig fails the test.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 06:08 PM   #33

I stand corrected. The ball is NOT welded to the hitch as I first said. Took me a bit to get out and look, well, life gets in the way sometimes.
So, YES, I was wrong. My apologies.
Honestron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 03:17 AM   #34

Quote:
The paper I linked to should explain the phenomenon of oversteer and jackknifing. It's the most comprehensive study publicly available on the subject and on the issue of towing stability in general. It is backed up by over 600 full scale tests using both cargo trailers and travel trailers. Aside from the study, however, it should be intuitively obvious that a high tongue weight will promote oversteer and jackknifing. Try to think what happens with all that weight forward of the trailer axles when you go around a turn. As the horizontal g force at the ball mount increases it pushes the rear of the tow vehicle outwards away from its intended path. You might also look into the SAE J2807 towing standard. This document requires truck manufacturers to pass an understeer test to justify their towing claims. Too much tongue weight and the rig fails the test.
You must be living in 1980.
Old 04-29-2022, 09:17 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperLifer View Post
You must be living in 1980.
Nah, 1977!

Sometimes I wish this site had a way to screen people for some sort of credentials. Some replies are only 45 years out of date and out of tune with reality.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 02:48 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Nah, 1977!

Sometimes I wish this site had a way to screen people for some sort of credentials. Some replies are only 45 years out of date and out of tune with reality.
No argument there !
Old 06-17-2022, 08:17 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
Not sure I understand, do you have a picture of your WD hitch? Can you give us a model number for the Curt hitch?

Most WD hitches have an adjustment for height, I believe, although 6" is probably outside the range of most hitches I have seen, unless maybe by flipping the hitch setup. Does your truck have some sort of lift?

Not sure I understand the "welded" portion of your description, thus my request for a picture.

I am using the Curt WD hitch below. Most surprising to me is the increase in price: I paid $228 plus tax in October 2020, price now is more than double at $477. That is greater than 100% inflation.

In any event, I think you can get a slight rise to a slight drop with this unit, maybe the range from rise to drop is a total of 6".

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/17062#C...20Distribution
I have one comment... Ditch the chains...
Redfour5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 12:06 AM   #38

Honestron, I'm getting a new hitch so I will let my 2 year old Equalizer go for half price. It's the right size for you but I don't know where you are. Shipping is crazy now but perhaps it could work.

Tags
hitch, weight