Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2021, 10:45 AM   #1

Weight distribution choice query

Any input on weight distribution /anti sway hitche preferences and why would be appreciated.
Looking to buy a travel trailer with a dry weight of 5400 lbs and hitch weight of 504 lbs.
Will pull this trailer with a 2017 GMC 1500 w/o the advanced tow package.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2021, 11:28 AM   #2

Take a look at your owners' manual and the weight rating plates on your drivers door and hitch receiver. You may be able to get away with not needing a WD/sway control hitch.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:05 PM   #3

We use the Andersen WD hitch. Works well for us.
F-150, 6,000 lb GVWR trailer.
Yes you need a WD hitch .
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 04:08 PM   #4

Dry weight and dry hitch weight mean NOTHING......... I repeat..... NOTHING. Ignore those numbers. Look at the GVWR of the trailer, in your case, probably 7000 to 7500 lbs, and then calculate 10%, 13% and 15% of that to arrive at probable tongue weights. Expect about 13% or 900 to 1000 lbs. Don't forget the hitch itself weighs a hundred pounds, give or take, depending on brand, and this will take away from the cargo capacity of the truck or SUV.

My current preference is a Blue Ox Sway Pro. Many will say Equalizer, but I don't like it, heavier, clunkier, a lot more work to set up, and more small pieces and work to use. A lot more noise also.

It may not seem like it, but you will be nearing the limits of the truck. It will work, just not as good as you might expect.

Charles
Old 02-13-2021, 04:26 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Yes, get a WD hitch. We have a freind that had his trailer and truck totaled because he didn't have one.

Here's a little reading for you.......

https://www.unbeatenrolling.com/best...0by%20Andersen.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:41 AM   #6

If you were towing that trailer with a one ton dually, you wouldn't need a WD hitch. But since you're using a half ton, you definitely need a WD hitch.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:28 AM   #7

I had good luck towing a loaded 5,500lb travel trailer with a F-150 and a Draw Tite WD Hitch. No sway and it greatly reduced bounciness. I pulled this trailer in the low 70 mph range. Around 72mph.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:10 AM   #8

Propride 3P if you want to completely eliminate all possibility of sway and cost isn't an issue.

However, that trailer is small enough that a standard WDH and friction sway system will likely be fine.

I towed a similar size trailer behind my 2015 1500 with a basic curt WDH with the add on friction sway bar, with no issues.
Sv Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 04:18 PM   #9

I have been very pleased with the Blue OX Sway Pro.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:56 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
All I'm gonna say is, pretty much every hitch manufacturer compares themselves to equalizer.......
Old 02-15-2021, 07:14 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Forget dry weight. Use the trailers GVWR and 12% of that for the tongue weight.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I had good luck towing a loaded 5,500lb travel trailer with a F-150 and a Draw Tite WD Hitch. No sway and it greatly reduced bounciness. I pulled this trailer in the low 70 mph range. Around 72mph.
On ST trailer tires designed for a top sustained speed of 65 MPH.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:38 PM   #13

Weight distribution choice query

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
On ST trailer tires designed for a top sustained speed of 65 MPH.

Decent ones go well beyond, let alone lt tires. No one brought tires into this..........

Fwiw I had a husky ts and the trunnions ate up the hitch head making it worse than nothing. It wanted to freeze up and pull it to the side. Bought and equalizer after than and have had zero issues even in some big winds. (Not stupid but gusts in the 30s are doable)
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:51 PM   #14

I towed our 4500 lb 24' no boundaries TT for about five months without a WDH, was on the fence about getting one. Behind our tundra TRD pro, was a really easy towing package. A few mountain trips to the Smokies, few trips to Georgia, but mostly flat ground weekend trips to state parks here in NC and SC. But we had a lot of mountain driving planned, so I knew a good WDH would be worth looking into.

One day before a 22 day 5708 mile trip from NC to South Dakota and Colorado I installed ours, which I had bought previously. A Recurve R3 for about $300 on Amazon. Kept hearing good reviews from others, so eventually bought one. Initially didn't want it because camping world sells them. I had initially wanted an equalizer, but the pushy salesman at camping world told me all they sell are Recurve R3s, so I left.

But I was wrong, that was the best $300 I ever spent. It's quiet, works very well, and is easy to hook up, take off bars, etc. The ride quality was day and night, my previous comfortable speed was 64-65 mph, with WDH added can drive 72-75 and feel very good. Ideal flat highway driving, not in traffic, just trying to give you some ideas of the difference in how the TT feels behind the truck with vs without. Still drive 65 to be honest, but coming across Kansas on 70 we did cruise about 75. The traffic here in NC, and stopping requirements, keep me around 65.

We researched this subject for a long time, heard how loud certain models were, equalizer, etc. Heard about how some were aggravating backing up, bars had to be unhooked, etc. Seems there was a drawback with most the popular options. However reluctantly I bought the Recurve R3, it ended up being a great purchase. I also love the clearance of the bars being opposite orientation of many WDH bars.

Dan
NC
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight