Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2017, 04:38 PM   #1

Weight Distribution Hitch

We are thinking of going back to a travel trailer. When we had a travel trailer the first time, we used Equalizer brand WD/Anti Sway all-in-one hitch. We liked it pretty well, but since that has been many years ago, what are the good brands/models to look for now?

Thanks.

John
John (USAF Reti)/Cheryl (Teacher) Boo (15 year old cat), Billie (18mos cat), Ben (18mos cat), Beau (18mos cat). '20 Tiffin 32SA (Feb 2020 arrival); Past RVs: '16 Newmar Ventana 3709, '16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, '14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL, '12 Voltage V3200, '09 BigHorn 3400, '06 Jayco Octane, '04 Jayco Baja
JCGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2017, 04:52 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
You are familiar with and are comfortable with the Equalizer hitch, I'd stick with it. We went from a Reese WD hitch to the Equalizer and found it to be much better for our needs, Sunnybrook 27FKS.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:16 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCGibson View Post
We are thinking of going back to a travel trailer. When we had a travel trailer the first time, we used Equalizer brand WD/Anti Sway all-in-one hitch. We liked it pretty well, but since that has been many years ago, what are the good brands/models to look for now?
The Equal-I-Zer lists for around $1,000 and can be purchased online for around $600. It's about as good as it gets in that price class, provided you order enough tongue weight (TW) capacity to exceed the max TW you'll ever have. Others of similar price/performance are the Blue Ox SwayPro, Reese StraitLine, and Husky CenterLine HD.

There are better WD/sway control hitches available, but they cost several times more than that price class of hitches. Hensley Arrow and the newer design Hensley ProPride 3P are two of them. Another is the original PullRite.

PullRite - Worry-free Travel Trailer Towing

ProPride 3P

Hensley Arrow
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:24 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
We went from a Reese WD hitch to the Equalizer and found it to be much better for our needs, Sunnybrook 27FKS.
Reese makes at least three classes of WD hitches:
1] cheap
2] decent
3] Very good, only if it's a Reese StraitLine.

If your Reese WD hitch was not a StraitLine, then it wasn't in the same class as an Equal-I-Zer.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:29 PM   #5

We've been real happy with our Blue Ox Sway Pro and it's holding up just fine on our trip to Alaska from Florida.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:38 AM   #6

I too have the Blux Ox Sway Pro, but I've modified mine to make it more user friendly. I ditched the pull up mechanisms that came with it and bought a set of the StrapTek pull up winches to replace them. You still use the same B.O. spring tension bars that came with the B.O. system, you just don't use the chains or the B.O. pull ups. It is so much easier and safer than the B.O. I now do not have to mess with using the electric jack to raise and lower the trailer/truck when trying to get enough chain links in the slot to get to my needed tension on the spring bars. Now, I lower the trailer coupler onto the hitch ball, tension the spring bars to the needed amount of tension, and when done with that, finish lowering the trailer onto the ball and retracting the jack all the way....Done!
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:30 AM   #7

Thanks for all the posts. Greatly appreciated!
John (USAF Reti)/Cheryl (Teacher) Boo (15 year old cat), Billie (18mos cat), Ben (18mos cat), Beau (18mos cat). '20 Tiffin 32SA (Feb 2020 arrival); Past RVs: '16 Newmar Ventana 3709, '16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, '14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL, '12 Voltage V3200, '09 BigHorn 3400, '06 Jayco Octane, '04 Jayco Baja
JCGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:39 AM   #8

I agree Equal-I-Zer we had that one for the last 7 yrs sold it with our TT this spring when we went to 5ht wheel.
Rksolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I too have the Blux Ox Sway Pro, but I've modified mine to make it more user friendly. I ditched the pull up mechanisms that came with it and bought a set of the StrapTek pull up winches to replace them. You still use the same B.O. spring tension bars that came with the B.O. system, you just don't use the chains or the B.O. pull ups. It is so much easier and safer than the B.O. I now do not have to mess with using the electric jack to raise and lower the trailer/truck when trying to get enough chain links in the slot to get to my needed tension on the spring bars. Now, I lower the trailer coupler onto the hitch ball, tension the spring bars to the needed amount of tension, and when done with that, finish lowering the trailer onto the ball and retracting the jack all the way....Done!

I to use this same setup StrapTek makes it even more simple.
jconverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post

I need to look into that because I hadn't heard about this modification. Pictures??
Old 07-17-2017, 11:53 AM   #11

I don't have any pictures of my setup without going out and getting tt out of storage. But do a search for StrapTek. To use with the BlueOx system, you would take the chains off the bars and take the snap up bracket off trailer frame and replace with StrapTek system. Straps have markings on them so you know you have both sides winched up the same on both sides. And no need to jack tt way up in the air to take tension off bars like you would with snap up chains. I had originally purchased StrapTek to help with sway. I still had some sway. So I bought the BlueOX which works perfect. No sway or push from passing trucks. So since I had the StrapTeks sitting in a box in garage, I decided to install them with the BlueOx setup. I can tell no loss of sway control from using the combination. Just easier to hook up and off.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:25 PM   #12

If anyone is thinking about switching to the StrapTek system, here's a little shortcut for you. BEFORE you remove the Blue Ox pull ups, hook the trailer up one more time with them. When you have your correct tension, (based on how many chain links you pull up), stop and take a measurement for reference. I measured the distance between the bottom of the A arm part of the trailer frame, at the end of the tension bar. On mine it was like 4 3/4". Now, when you install the StrapTek winches, all you need to do is winch the spring bars to the same place....4 3/4"....or whatever yours are adjusted to. Note the markings on the winch strap and now you can go back to the same tension/adjustment every time. Easy peasy!
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #13

Good info. I have one question — assuming you use a ratchet socket wrench, how hard is it to winch up to the right tension?
Old 07-19-2017, 08:55 AM   #14

Not hard at all. I use a 19inch ratchet with plenty of leverage. Also used for my lug nut remover as well if needed.

Tags
weight