Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2021, 08:03 AM   #1

Weight distribution hitch

I'm looking to purchase a new TT

Is the weight distribution hitch something i need to also purchase through my dealer ?... as its atleast twice the cost i can purchase it separately at the manufacture or hitch dealer

cheers

mike
Northernking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2021, 08:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernking View Post

Is the weight distribution hitch something i need to also purchase through my dealer ?... as its atleast twice the cost i can purchase it separately at the manufacture or hitch dealer

cheers

mike
If u think u can install it yourself then buy the less expensive hitch. You will need a torgue wrench and be able to follow the directions that come with it i.e. where to measure and how to make adjustments. Might need a helper too.
My equalizer came with the trailer and the dealer put it on. But I made sure they did it correctly. If u look up an equalizer on line they show u how to set it up. Hope this helps.
The Quince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:55 AM   #3

Depending on the hitch, it can be a simple installation. I just bought an Andersen, and it was not a difficult installation.
JHinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:15 PM   #4

The Blue Ox Sway Pro is easy to set up.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:01 AM   #5

For DIY installation the torque wrench is the important item. Generally you can "borrow" tools at the local auto parts by paying a deposit, however torque wrenches are not something I would want to depend on this for, and to torque the ball will require a torque wrench larger than the auto parts place will carry anyhow.

Most hitches will come without a ball as it is possible to have travel trailers with 2-5/16 balls but some lighter ones and most other trailers use 2 inch. The 2-5/16 inch ball will have a 1Ό inch x 12 thread per inch, and needs to be torqued to 450 lb/ft. You need a 1-7/8 inch socket in 3/4 drive for this.

The two 3/4 inch crossbolts that retain the hitch head to the shank are 230 lbs if I recall.

The Blue Ox hitch in the pic was bought used. The owner said he bought a trailer and towed it a couple of times and sold it and was moving and needed a lot of stuff gone. When I got home I started looking and discovered that the cross bolts were so-so snug and the ball was actually loose. Its scary to think that there are folks blindly traveling down the road not realizing they are about to lose their trailer.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:16 PM   #6

I don’t know any pets store that is going to rent you a 3/4 torque wrench. That seems to be what gets a lot of people or the just tighten it and hope for the best then you end up with loose bolts.
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:18 PM   #7

Thank you Charles for your input

Lucky for me i actually own many heavy duty tools or atleast have access to them through work including 1" drive torque wrenches

BTW, I like your crescent wrench-jack "helping hand" set up

cheers

mike
Old 09-19-2021, 06:51 AM   #8

A quick question for those in the know

is the " Blue Ox Swaypro " weight distribution hitch ok for use on a 21' TT ?

cheers

mike
Old 09-19-2021, 08:59 AM   #9

I use a Husky Centerline TS with 1200 lb bars on the wifes 1500 crew cab 4wd chevy pulling a 18' 10k or 22' 12k car hauler with a 7840 lb blue tractor/cab/fel/7' rhino mower.
My sway issues were caused by a high center of gravity. The tractor has 54" tall tires and puts most of the weight far above the trailers bed. Traveling twisty highways at 50-55 mph was a handfull with either trailer till I installed the Husky WD hitch.

Having pulled 5th wheel and GN flatbeds for a living this WD hitch tech was a new experience for me. I have a flat long concrete pad in front of the house and a free set of scales at the local feed mill.....so the install using weights and measurements was easy.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:11 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
I use a Husky Centerline TS with 1200 lb bars on the wifes 1500 crew cab 4wd chevy pulling a 18' 10k or 22' 12k car hauler with a 7840 lb blue tractor/cab/fel/7' rhino mower.
I used a Husky Centerline hitch to pull my 25’ Arctic Fox with a Ford Expedition EL (suv based on the F150). It was a great setup and performed both anti-sway and weight distribution very effectively.

I bought it separately and took it to the dealer for him to install when I picked up the TT from new. No need to buy the dealer’s hitch just give him the hitch you want installed.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:40 PM   #11

Another option is the weigh safe weight distribution hitch. You only need a torque wrench capable of 65 pounds to attach the brackets to the a frame. Everything else, including the hitch ball is held with pins.

Required Tools
• DTW calculator on the Weigh Safe App or at www�weigh-safe�com (Required to properly adjust the hitch)
• Measuring tape
• Lift bracket with 3⁄4” socket end (provided)� ***3⁄4” socket with socket wrench or 3⁄4” star wrench recommended
but not required�
• Torque wrench capable of 65 ft-lb
• 1⁄4” hex wrench (provided)
Bulletstoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernking View Post

cheers

mike
Give the Andersen WD hitch system a thorough look. I have towed with WD hitch systems for many years. The Andersen hitch is lighter, performs exceptionally well, is quiet and rated for 14,000 lbs. No need to undo anything to back up. Hook up and unhooking is much simpler than other systems. I just bought a new trailer and the Andersen system was a must. I've pulled the TT 4,000 miles and love the set-up.
Gregors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:56 PM   #13

I like the Andersen as well. Easy to install and set up. Made in Idaho Falls, ID.

The Andersen includes sway control, which could be important depending on your truck/trailer combination.

I had an EZ-Lift hitch before the Andersen. No sway control, and unknown to me it was not sized correctly for my trailer. It was easier to hook up than the Andersen, but not dramatically easier.
JHinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, weight