Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2022, 09:26 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You should be using the right weight rating for a WDH on the Jeep. Air springs only prop up the sagging rear and do nothing for weight distribution.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Currently FOR SALE Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2022, 08:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperLifer View Post
One is not a substitute for the other.
If you are talking about shocks and springs correct. However they work together. The spring moves with weight, the shock dampens the speed of the movement. So if you want to limit the "bounce" a stiffer spring may help but if the shock is dead it will still bounce a bit.
MCCOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:09 AM   #17

Just so you know the jeep towing will never feel like the Jeep solo. I had a very nice set up with a F-150 towing on a 5,500 lb travel trailer. The WD hitch tied the truck and trailer together nicely. But the truck was not like it was solo. Going over railroad tracks and some bridges would cause bounce.

You will always feel the trailer move differently than the jeep.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:31 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The WD hitch will take some of the tongue weight and shifts it to the front axle of the Jeep. This improves ride and handling, and a Jeep needs all the help it can get. Basically, a Jeep is a poor choice for a tow vehicle. They have a high center of gravity, short wheelbase and a narrow wheelbase.

That is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Currently FOR SALE Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu Kono View Post
If you got a Blue Ox SwayPro BXW1000
(which is the size it sounds like you need for your rig)
and then later you get a bigger truck and trailer, all you'd have to buy would
be new spring bars and maybe a bigger ball instead of a whole new hitch.
Right now the SwayPro is retailing on Amazon for $670, but they
were discounted for a few days back in April and I got mine for $573.
If you're a frequent Amazon shopper, you know the drill.
Put it in your cart under "saved-for-later",
then Amazon will let you know if/when the price changes.
I'll second this for a couple of reasons. First, I have one and know how it operates and how well it works. Second, the BOSP is somewhat lighter than many of the other hitches on the market and comes in pretty well up the list of hitches that are effective at trailer sway prevention (as opposed to damping the sway). When I say lighter, not only is the hitch head and even their shank lighter, but the bars are shorter and lighter, yet still effective. A Equal-i-zer hitch has stupid heavy bars and only dampens any sway that does happen.

In addition to the hitch, properly inflated tires will go a long ways toward trailer handling, and as mentioned above, a good set of shocks will do a lot also.

Wasn't sure what you have for a trailer, so I found this original sales brochure for the 2002 models. Looks like you have a trailer GVWR just under 4700 lbs, so you will want to travel as light as possible. Also be aware that at 23 ft 10 inch length, you are about all the GC can handle with its fairly short wheelbase 05of 114.8 inches and in fact exceed the "common" internet recommendations of trailer length vs TV wheel base.

Charles
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2022, 11:14 AM   #20

No doubt, I would recommend the ReCurve R3, with the 600lb bars for your setup.

You will appreciate the ease of use, and itís performance with separate and easily adjustable sway control collar. For smaller lighter weight trailers itís a great choice.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 01:19 PM   #21

I use both on my '19 ram 1500 ccsb. I have husky centerline WDH and I have airbags in the rear coil springs. I run 20# or so when towing to add some stiffness to the rear end. my trailer is 6000# and 28'
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ags, air, airbag, hitch, weight