Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-18-2019, 08:43 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Woo10-210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 137
Weight Police

If you have any payload questions regarding your TV, just ask the teck(sic) on the Ram forum. He'll let you know if you're good-to-go.

20190218_072201.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190218_072201.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	235340  
Woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2019, 09:39 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
SmokeyWren's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: HillBilly country, Smokey Mtns
Posts: 4,172
Yeah, that was one tech. But not all techs are stupid. Overloading your tow vehicle above the payload capacity (GVWR or rear GAWR) is not a good idea if you want the tow vehicle to give dependable and economical service for a long life.

Of course, if you don't care about dependability, economical operation or longevity of the tow vehicle, then ignore the "weight police" and go ahead and overload it. If you don't like the "looks" of the overloaded tow vehicle, then modify the suspension to mask the symptoms of being overloaded.
__________________
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:56 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
xrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: "Murvul", TN
Posts: 1,329
Just thought I'd jump in here and make sure everyone saw my avatar picture!

If in doubt.....Dually it out!
__________________
2016 F350 Crew Cab Dually Diesel King Ranch 4x4
2018 Grand Design Momentum 394M Toy Hauler
Excessive Payload Capacity is a Wonderful Thing!
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:02 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Woo10-210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Just thought I'd jump in here and make sure everyone saw my avatar picture!

If in doubt.....Dually it out!
Ha ha! I'm usually 'foruming' from a phone so I never noticed that.
Woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:07 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 17,911
Pay attention to Axle Ratings / Max Load Ratings on Tires.
Go camping!
__________________
Is it time for YOUR Medication or Mine?
Dodge 3500 w/Tractor Motor & NUWA 5vr
US NAVY---USS Decatur DDG-31
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:47 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Rhagfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Pay attention to Axle Ratings / Max Load Ratings on Tires.
Go camping!



While this advice in its self is not totally bad, it isn't good, especially for those asking to be sure they will be OK, or those looking for a new TV.
One should always strive to be within all ratings.

Personally I towed well over GVWR of our 2001 Ram 2500 for several years, always within rear axle rating and well within tire ratings, scaled often, but at my last scaling I was 1,700# over my 8,800# GVWR. I was towing a 32' 5er at 12,500#.

It really started to eat at me, not for being cited by LEO, but possible liability if involved in an accident my fault OR NOT! Way too many hungry lawyers out there now days!
While I would share my experience, I would never encourage others to do so. To encourage others to purchase a marginal TV to me is irresponsible.

Now days we see 3/4 ton TV with "Tow Ratings" of 17,000# and this makes many think they can hook up to a 17,000# 5er and go.
The problem is that 17,000# rating is for a GN flat bed where the pin weight can be controlled by how centered the load is over the axles.
With 5er you don't have that control, that 17,000# 5er could have a pin of 3,400# to 4,250# too much for most OEM tires on 3/4 tons. In addition that 17,000# is for the lightest model of that particular TV, so as the trim level and weight of the TV goes up the max tow capacity goes down.
My current TV 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW with a sticker payload of 5,411# and a brochure max traile weight of 25,000#, well if I have my stuff my payload will be reduced by about 800#+, I have not weight since I moved my tool box and hitch to the new TV.
__________________
Russ & Paula, Portland, OR. The Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW Aisin 4X4 14,000# GVWR.
2005 Keystone Copper Canyon 293FWSLS Rear Kitchen 12,360 GVWR
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:55 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 17,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post


While this advice in its self is not totally bad, it isn't good, especially for those asking to be sure they will be OK, or those looking for a new TV.
One should always strive to be within all ratings.

Personally I towed well over GVWR of our 2001 Ram 2500 for several years, always within rear axle rating and well within tire ratings, scaled often, but at my last scaling I was 1,700# over my 8,800# GVWR. I was towing a 32' 5er at 12,500#.

It really started to eat at me, not for being cited by LEO, but possible liability if involved in an accident my fault OR NOT! Way too many hungry lawyers out there now days!
While I would share my experience, I would never encourage others to do so. To encourage others to purchase a marginal TV to me is irresponsible.

Now days we see 3/4 ton TV with "Tow Ratings" of 17,000# and this makes many think they can hook up to a 17,000# 5er and go.
The problem is that 17,000# rating is for a GN flat bed where the pin weight can be controlled by how centered the load is over the axles.
With 5er you don't have that control, that 17,000# 5er could have a pin of 3,400# to 4,250# too much for most OEM tires on 3/4 tons. In addition that 17,000# is for the lightest model of that particular TV, so as the trim level and weight of the TV goes up the max tow capacity goes down.
My current TV 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW with a sticker payload of 5,411# and a brochure max traile weight of 25,000#, well if I have my stuff my payload will be reduced by about 800#+, I have not weight since I moved my tool box and hitch to the new TV.



Register the tow vehicle for a higher Gross Weight.
Now you are 'legal' and being sued is eliminated


Oh wait....you can be sued for ANYTHING even if not at fault
But at least you will be legally registered....


Stay within Axle/Tire Ratings...
Go Camping!


__________________
Is it time for YOUR Medication or Mine?
Dodge 3500 w/Tractor Motor & NUWA 5vr
US NAVY---USS Decatur DDG-31
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:51 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Register the tow vehicle for a higher Gross Weight.
Now you are 'legal' and being sued is eliminated


Oh wait....you can be sued for ANYTHING even if not at fault
But at least you will be legally registered....


Stay within Axle/Tire Ratings...
Go Camping!


So when I register for a higher GVWR, the state gives me new MFR stickers that indicate the new higher GVWR? Is this capability available in all 50 states? Is the GVWR only determined by the keys someone types into a computer to be printed on a label and not by actual science?
__________________
2015 Chevrolet 3500HD DRW LTZ
2004 Arctic Fox 31W
Gavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:17 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavenger View Post
So when I register for a higher GVWR, the state gives me new MFR stickers that indicate the new higher GVWR? Is this capability available in all 50 states? Is the GVWR only determined by the keys someone types into a computer to be printed on a label and not by actual science?
Nope. The lady behind the desk types in your VIN and the computer has the manufactures actual weight rating numbers listed. Derived at by actual science. Not an artificial number picked for registration purposes. I have a 2500 with a gvw of 12000. My state does not have a 10000 lb commercial/non-commercial weight designation. So the 12000lb is the actual GVW when the 10000lb licensing limit is not in effect.



BTW I can not register my truck for over that.
__________________
Professional mechanic.
2018 Ram 2500 HD Mega cab.
mobilemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:36 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Elko, Nv
Posts: 1,738
F250ís registered for 40k lbs in Nevada to stay legal. The yellow sticker has no legal basis.
NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:04 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Rhagfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
F250ís registered for 40k lbs in Nevada to stay legal. The yellow sticker has no legal basis.


Well registration at 40,000#, nothing on a F250 will like pulling or carrying that kind of weight.
I would not want defend an accident with a 40,000# GCVW F250.
__________________
Russ & Paula, Portland, OR. The Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW Aisin 4X4 14,000# GVWR.
2005 Keystone Copper Canyon 293FWSLS Rear Kitchen 12,360 GVWR
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:10 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Tucson
Posts: 1,419
I bought a Chevy dually with a 5,000 pound payload so I never have to worry about what I tow.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:22 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 206
There are two considerations. When it comes to vehicle enforcement, a LEO is going to concern themselves with axle ratings and load on them. When it comes to liability, then OEM payload ratings should be observed, as an enterprising lawyer from the law firm of Burnum and Run will ruin your day in a lawsuit if there is an accident.
Cowpie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:31 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Rhagfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
I bought a Chevy dually with a 5,000 pound payload so I never have to worry about what I tow.

I don't want to rain on your parade, have you weighed you 3500 DRW, ready to go camping??
I did that the other day me, DW, dog, almost full tank of fuel, full DEF, the STUFF in my tool box and hitch.
Well my Payload sticker states 5,411#, the truck weighed 9,950# and has a GVWR of 14,000# so down to 4,050# payload for the pin. Things add up!
__________________
Russ & Paula, Portland, OR. The Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW Aisin 4X4 14,000# GVWR.
2005 Keystone Copper Canyon 293FWSLS Rear Kitchen 12,360 GVWR
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
weight



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dry (shipping) Weight = Axle Weight + Pin Weight? Old Bill Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 11 12-05-2016 04:58 PM
Weight Police Alert - Will I be ok? CoachCJ Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 4 06-30-2016 08:56 AM
The annual wake-up call for the "weight police" frankdamp iRV2.com General Discussion 1 07-30-2012 04:27 PM
One for the Towing Police sheff69 Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 22 01-12-2009 05:42 AM
Alpine Coach in a Police Pursuit! Dave Fernandez Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 6 02-22-2006 07:23 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.