Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2013, 04:58 AM   #29

Look up the concrete delivery services in your area. If you ask nicely, they will scale your combo for you. There are also scales at Southern States or other farm supply stores. Call and ask, They will know where a scale is available.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheCon843 View Post
Thanks Smokeywren! Youve been a big help!
I have only been on this forum a few weeks and quickly learned that smokeywren is the Yoda of RVing!
JayeTaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Thanx for the flowers, folks. It's my hobby, so I enjoy posting what I know. Some folks play golf, some do other things for their hobby, while I "waste my time" posting on RV and truck webs sites.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:16 AM   #32

Shecon,

To give you a personal experience story, our 3/4 ton F250 says 2800 lbs payload capacity but the scales prove that it is in fact only 1800 lbs (scaled with only driver and full tank of gas). HUGE difference. I know I have repeated this several times lately here, but I am still in a state of shock and amazement. How can vehicle manufacturers get away with this?? Some day a smart lawyer will get onto this.....

If your door jamb sticker says 1137 lbs, you have to know by reading this thread that the 1137 lbs is going to be quite optimistic. Who knows what your actual payload max. is until you take your truck to a scale. I really doubt that your truck will be even close to being capable of towing that Dutchmen within payload limits.

And another zinger to us - our 29' TT dry weight is 5237 lbs but the scale shows it is 6600 lbs loaded for camping!! And we didn't even put much in it. And the published tongue weight is 514 lbs but the scale showed it is a whopping 960 lbs!! We've got 200 lbs left before we hit the TT GVWR. Couldn't travel with a full tank of fresh water if we wanted to. Luckily we're not dry campers. The CCC on the sticker is useless.

You simply cannot go by any manufacturers published or stickered dry or cargo capacity weights. Some day a smart lawyer will get onto this and make millions..... Turns my stomach when RV manufacturers say things like "1/2 ton towable". And then we have magazines like Trailer life advocating towing big 5th wheel trailers with 1/2 tons that are clearly not capable (see "Half Ton Fun" in May issue). They list a 9,740 lb KZ Durango as being capable of being towed by a 1/2 ton. Are you flippin' kidding me? I'm cancelling my subscription.

Nice to see Rvers asking questions about weights and looking into the reality.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #33

Ok.. Im gonna play dumb again..you have an f250? We have been looking at those in a diesel King Ranch..so are you telling me that they wont even tow the 14500 pounds they claim they tow? Before we go spend that kind of money on a truck.. I sure need to know.. So what do you buy? A 18 wheel? Lol..this is really getting complicated and taking all the fun out of camping.. My husband has made himself physically sick over it..thats no joke..
SheCon843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:54 PM   #34

The problem with trucks these days is that they all flog how much they can pull in a straight line. You here all kinds of crazy big numbers for towing capacities now. Problem is that "towing capacity" is only part of the picture and you also need to look at payload capacity and for 5th wheels, rear axle ratings are important. And it's gotta be actual numbers from being through a scale. When you start looking at payload capacities and axle ratings, you start to discover how wimpy trucks can be.

I saw an American at the border crossing today heading into Canada towing a toy hauler with what looked like a 3/4 ton. He had a quad in the truck and who knows how he loaded the trailer. The front wheels of the truck were almost off the ground because of way too much tongue weight, despite having a WDH. I have a feeling the border agents pulled him aside as I did not see him leave behind me. Hopefully it was for the unsafe setup. Probably claims it pulls just fine...
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:17 PM   #35

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
SheCon843,
That is correct, the manufacturers tell you the tow ratings figureing a base model with a 150# driver. So to answer your question, no a F250 can not haul 14,500# and be within the specs of that truck. You will be very close with a F350 SWR, at least a 2011 or newer model, a F350 dually and you will have no problems. My 03 3500 ccdwr with my 16,400# hooked up with 30 gal of fuel in the auxilary fuel tank, and 30 gal of fresh water, 2 people and loaded with food and clothes, weighs 4400# on the front axle, 6600# on the drive axle and 12,500# on the trailer axles for a GCW of 23,500#. Truck has a GVWR of 11,400#.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:24 PM   #36

The F250 with the diesel option has the same engine tranny and drive line as the FD350 SRW and will have no problems pulling a 14500 lb trailer or what ever its tow rating is. Its the same engine tranny as the F350 SRW or DRW.

The issues with any 3/4 ton truck is those small 6000-6200 RAWR which includes spring packs/wheels and tires. The F350 SRW has bigger 7000 RAWR with higher rated wheels tires and spring packs. The trucks share the same frame/engine/tranny/front and rear axles/brakes when we looks at Fords Body Builders Advisory Service Spec sheets.

RV folks get hung up on manufacturers numbers game which includes GVWR/GCWR/tire load placard/ cargo carrying capacities non which have any legal meaning when it comes to how much weight can my private use truck legally carry.
Instead of getting sick over all the numbers I would suggest you find out from your state dot folks how much weight your private use truck can legally carry and how much it can legally pull.

Heres a real world example.........My 2500 Dodge/Cummins has a unladin rear axle weight of 2860 lb and a 6000 RAWR. That leaves me with a 3140 lb max payload. Now my 11200 lb 5er has 2200-2400 lbs of pin weight which gives the truck a 5260 lb rear axle load or 740 lbs under axle/tire load ratings.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:58 PM   #37

Thanks jimnlin.. We have only made 2 pyts on the dodge..its really crazy to have to trade it..but i found an article online yesterday that explains a lot if how hes feeling when hauling our tt..it seems to make the 2013 dodge ram more fuel efficient and aerodynamic..chrysler..lightened the front bumper, the hood, the frame, the suspension..and i think something else..so it may not be our TT at all, but the fact that the front end on the Truck is too light..and thats why it feels like its lifting off the road.
In your opinion, is the Ford 250 King Ranch turbocharged /diesel v8 6.7L/406 4wd with a 3.73 axle ratio(i think)...capable of towing a dutchmen kodiak 30 ft. With hitch they say its 36 ft 11 in.. However.. I have my doubts that hitch is over 6 ft long...i think with weight of tt with furniture n it.. Hitch and what we may put in it comes to 9733 lbs.?
I dont know what the payload for this truck would be, etc?
Old 05-31-2013, 09:01 PM   #38

Im getting a migraine! You need to be a math genius to figure all this out! So i guess now i need to look at the f350's? Lol.. We dont have a fifth wheel..

Its a simple light weight or supposed to be..travel trailer..camper..what have you..im thinking we should trade the dodge..the kodiak for an rv and tow my caddy suv behind it!
That might be easier! Lol
Old 05-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #39

Can i make Camping World responsible for selling us a tt that our truck cant tow?
Old 05-31-2013, 09:10 PM   #40

[QUOTE="SheCon843"
In your opinion, is the Ford 250 King Ranch turbocharged /diesel v8 6.7L/406 4wd with a 3.73 axle ratio(i think)...capable of towing a dutchmen kodiak 30 ft.
I dont know what the payload for this truck would be, etc?[/QUOTE]

Hey....I have no horse in this race and am just an interested reader.....but please take the time to read the entire thread and particularly Smokies comments. Whether or not this truck can safely tow a 30' Dutchman is not complicated math. However, continuing to ask for advice in the absence of getting your fully loaded truck weighed and an accurate weight of the fully loaded TT and its hitch weight..... is pointless...And without the actual weight(s) you can't do the simple math! You will never square this circle until you weigh everything!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:10 PM   #41

Thanks jack.. But the 250 isnt a truck we have, but one we are thinking of buying so kinda hard to weigh one you dont have..we are sure the one we have which is the dodge is not capable as we are having issues.. Just looking to see if someone has the 250 and hauling a similiar size TT..frankly.. I think some of you guys are way over analyzing these weights and capacities..thats why the rest of us are confused..im even confused about the weighing part.. So im out! No more questions from me.. Thanks to those of you who really tried to help me out!
Old 05-31-2013, 11:00 PM   #42
CD

SheCon843
I think you are missing a very important point. I don't believe you have a power problem. I saw a video of a 3/4T PU towing a Boeing 747. We all know he didn't have any control of it. By your own description you have a handling problem that won't be fixed with more power. Any one that hasn't towed their trailer with a bigger/heavier TV don't know what it feels like. I know I didn't. Looking back If I were to tow a 15' to about 24' TT I would be comfortable with a 3/4T. Bigger than that I would want a 1T dually. Much over 30' I would want a bigger TV. Can a smaller TV tow these trailers. Absolutely but not with the same comfort. I have towed RV trailers from 13' to 35'. I started out towing with a car then a 1/2T,3/4T and now the 1T dually. Each one seemed OK until I towed the same trailer with a bigger TV. The 35' I moved for a friend about 10 miles with my current TV. I don't think I would happy towing it on a long trip.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote