Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2022, 08:01 AM   #1

Weird acting lights

Hello all, This problem has been bugging me and I can't get it fixed. When I hook up my tow vehicle (2013 f150) to my travel trailer, I have no running lights, turn signals or brake lights on the camper but do on tow vehicle. I'll take it down the highway with wife driving behind me and after a few miles to a half hour, everything works. While driving I get a message on and off of Trailer not connected, then trailer connected. It'll do this until everything all of a sudden works. We get to the site and hook back up after a couple days-week and everything works as it should, but whenever it sits at home for a month or so back to the same thing.
Checked the vehicle connector, good (use other trailers with no problem), tried hooking up extra ground on trailer, nothing.
I'm completely stumped.
richny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2022, 08:17 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
It sure sounds like a bad connection on the ground. Check the wires going into the trailer.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:23 AM   #3

Open ground between trailer and tow vehicle.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:30 AM   #4

I'd start by inspecting the 7 pin connector on both the truck and trailer. Use contact cleaner, or at least WD-40 or such and work connector in and out a dozen or more times. Any bad connection there will cause the issue. Inspect wiring and ground to trailer. Run a long jumper cabel from truck ground (frame or better, directly at - battery terminal) straight to the trailer frame on a clean unpainted surface. If problem goes away it is the groound.

If all seems OK, start suspecting a bad TBCM. You may be getting error messages in the dash display, but a full module scan may be necessary to confirm this. Traiiler brake control modules are mounted at the rear of the trucks, get battered with rocks and debris and pummeled with water, road salt and dirt. Some split apart and corrode away. Some are aluminum bodied and fall apart like dust.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 09:18 AM   #5

Bad ground. Used to happen all the time with horse trailers that grounded via the hitch and ball instead of a wired connection. After the trailer was off of the ball, the ball and the hitch would rust of get dirty and not make a good connection. Pull for an hour of so and the ball would clean up and things would work.
Bill Nourse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights