Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2017, 07:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82ndCowboy View Post

I earn my living on rubber rolling down the highways. And I've learned this in the last 13 years. The Chinese don't give a **** about quality control. I don't give a damn what their website claims.
That is the point folks want to ignore. Cheap is all that matters.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2017, 01:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedanie View Post
Wow!
Nice to see FastEagle is back to his attack mode again!

Keith
Yup

Sent from my SM-T810 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:04 AM   #17

Commercial Member

When shopping for tires be sure to check

1. Warranty
2. Availability or service & replacement
3. Ability to support at least 15% more load than your actual measured load.

remember that load capacity for ST type tires is based on formula that includes a max speed of 65 mph no matter the speed rating of the tire.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
When shopping for tires be sure to check

1. Warranty
2. Availability or service & replacement
3. Ability to support at least 15% more load than your actual measured load.

remember that load capacity for ST type tires is based on formula that includes a max speed of 65 mph no matter the speed rating of the tire.
In this reference, do you think TRA has increased the speed rating for ST tires to 81 mph or is the speed letter information just a nothing meaning letter to satisfy the instructions given?
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #19

Quote:

Who's formula are you using? The tire industry's or some other individuals?
Because my WEST Lake tires are rated for a LAOD RANGE G 129/125 L, 18,500 kg at 760 kpa cold, or 4080 lb.'s at 110 psi cold with a speed of 75 MPH. So which is correct my tires data or you? The tires in question are ST235/85R/16 West Lake tires.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:34 AM   #20

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
In this reference, do you think TRA has increased the speed rating for ST tires to 81 mph or is the speed letter information just a nothing meaning letter to satisfy the instructions given?

TRA current official position is:

ST tires without a full service description ( Load Index and Speed Symbol) are restricted to 65 mph MAX

ST tires with Service description and Speed rating of 75 mph Max (Symbol L) inflation must be increased by 10 psi with no increase in load capacity

ST tires with Service description and Speed rating of 85 mph Max (Symbol M) inflation must be increased by 10 psi AND load capacity reduced by 10%

I note the disconnect between the SAE speed symbol chart and TRA load/speed adjustment as "M" is 81 mph and N is 87 mph but TRA still has a max allowable speed of 85

IMO the speed symbol issue was done to address FTC anti-dumping concerns on tires being imported so this is a 3rd agency involved and I would be surprised if the three bothered to communicate when writing the new standards.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:39 AM   #21

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
Who's formula are you using? The tire industry's or some other individuals?
Because my WEST Lake tires are rated for a LAOD RANGE G 129/125 L, 18,500 kg at 760 kpa cold, or 4080 lb.'s at 110 psi cold with a speed of 75 MPH. So which is correct my tires data or you? The tires in question are ST235/85R/16 West Lake tires.

Tire & Rim Association TRA is the agency that has the formulas and published the Load Inflation tables for most of the tires sold in the US.

LR-G tires are new and are covered in the Engineers Design Information or "EDI" book as published by TRA. If your tires are marked ST I would interpret that to mean +10 psi and -10% load if you ever operate above 65 mph.

IMO none of the above address either the unique belt loading due to Interply Shear nor the extra side loading due to high center of gravity wind catchers being towed down the road. That is why I also suggest at least 15% reserve load capacity after all the calculations are done.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:05 PM   #22

Quote:

ST tires without a full service description ( Load Index and Speed Symbol) are restricted to 65 mph MAX

ST tires with Service description and Speed rating of 75 mph Max (Symbol L) inflation must be increased by 10 psi with no increase in load capacity

ST tires with Service description and Speed rating of 85 mph Max (Symbol M) inflation must be increased by 10 psi AND load capacity reduced by 10%

I note the disconnect between the SAE speed symbol chart and TRA load/speed adjustment as "M" is 81 mph and N is 87 mph but TRA still has a max allowable speed of 85

IMO the speed symbol issue was done to address FTC anti-dumping concerns on tires being imported so this is a 3rd agency involved and I would be surprised if the three bothered to communicate when writing the new standards.
Because of what you’re saying everyone with ST tires having service descriptions with speed letters above 68 MPH cannot rely on that speed rating as being true.

In my research, only Goodyear and Towmax tire manufacturers have officially published the procedure to increase inflation pressures to allow increased speed without increasing load capacity. Maxxis has addressed it in emails but I have yet to see anything official from them. On the other hand, I’ve not seen a single trailer manufacturer providing ST OEM tires with any mention to that subject/condition. Their recommended cold tire inflation pressures are usually set at maximum allowed pressures depicted on the tire’s sidewall without an and/or provision.

As you well know the load index provided with a service description is not the official method for determining load capacity for LT & ST tires. So, if you leave the speed letter in the context of the service description it means nothing, for it would not be official. (???). It makes one wonder just what objective was served when speed letters were demanded, or else pay more tariffs. (???).

A lot of people are going to be very unhappy when they have made an effort to obtain replacement tires with a speed letter “L” for 75 MPH and you tell them the letter is BS, their tires are only rated at 65 MPH, for which there is no speed letter.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:16 AM   #23

Quote:
Tire & Rim Association TRA is the agency that has the formulas and published the Load Inflation tables for most of the tires sold in the US.

LR-G tires are new and are covered in the Engineers Design Information or "EDI" book as published by TRA. If your tires are marked ST I would interpret that to mean +10 psi and -10% load if you ever operate above 65 mph.

IMO none of the above address either the unique belt loading due to Interply Shear nor the extra side loading due to high center of gravity wind catchers being towed down the road. That is why I also suggest at least 15% reserve load capacity after all the calculations are done.
Thanks for pointing this out. But the TRA is only an "ASSOCIATION" similar to “SAE” or “ASTM”. These society’s that provide design guide lines and references for engineers to use when designing a product. At least it was when I was designing tractors. But they are not the “FMVSS” administered by NHSTA which any product must meet if it is to be sold to the consumer as a vehicle and or an item used on a vehicle.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:48 PM   #24

My Open Range has Westlake ST 225/75R15's from the factory. I've put about 20K miles on them with no trouble at all. They're coming up on their 3rd birthday so I'll be swapping them out soon and I probably won't go back with Westlake's. Haven't decided what to install yet.

Now watch. We're getting ready to go on a 2,500 mile trip over the next 3-4 week and I'll probably have 4 blowouts before I get back.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
My Open Range has Westlake ST 225/75R15's from the factory. I've put about 20K miles on them with no trouble at all. They're coming up on their 3rd birthday so I'll be swapping them out soon and I probably won't go back with Westlake's. Haven't decided what to install yet.

Now watch. We're getting ready to go on a 2,500 mile trip over the next 3-4 week and I'll probably have 4 blowouts before I get back.
Yeah, you shouldn't have talked about it!!
CoachCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:36 PM   #26

13,000 miles on my sailun 235x85x16 load range G tires with no problem.These are the standard tire on all new Montana 5th wheels.
shelbytexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:42 AM   #27

Quote:

So if I'm going to drive 75mph on my ST tires that have a label that says 80psi max and a speed rating of 75mph I am supposed to add 10psi?
The tire should than read 90psi max not 80psi
Old 02-01-2017, 06:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funhaus View Post
So if I'm going to drive 75mph on my ST tires that have a label that says 80psi max and a speed rating of 75mph I am supposed to add 10psi?
The tire should than read 90psi max not 80psi
If you're going to be running 75 mph pulling a trailer on ST tires, let me be the first one to wish you luck and I hope I'm not close when one of them lets go.

Tags
tires