Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2005, 10:21 AM   #15

Have trailer delivered to the house . Do it your self . No need to remove the pin box drill in place ,use eye protection ,drill from under while on your back on top of some type of table or platform ,etc. Use cutting oil and sharp drill bit take your time ,drill and tap care with the tap no side pressure or you will need a tap extractor . use of loc-tite is best . Save a few dollars and gives you pride in you knowledge its done right. Skipper entry level over fifty years.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2005, 09:46 AM   #16

I had the dealer install mine and they welded it. Did not make me happy! Do it yourself and it will be done the right way the first time.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:23 PM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JPKTrout:
I had the dealer install mine and they welded it. Did not make me happy! Do it yourself and it will be done the right way the first time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There needs to be a minimum of 10 bolts into the pin box, per the directions. If you cannot get 10 bolts into the pinbox, then you need to have the adapter plates fabricated (or use the kit that Pullrite makes) and weld the adapter plates to the pinbox. Then you can bolt the plate to the pinbox/adapter plates.

I've installed a few. I always bolt the plate on. That way, in the event that the tow vehicle breaks down, the plate can be removed so another vehicle can tow it.
FYRMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 08:30 PM   #18

As far as the "slider/no-slider/extended pinbox" debate...

I'd rather put in a slider the first time, than find out too late that I did need it. Saves time and money, and in the event that you did go with a PullRite, you wouldn't have a few extra 2" holes in your bed. Also keep in mind that there are some manufactures that strictly forbid the use of extended pinboxes. Alfa being one of them. Doesn't help in this case as SunnyBrook already uses an extended pinbox.

Also keep in mind that he may not keep the SunnyBrook forever and ever. The Boss may decide that she doesn't like the decor any longer, and he may end up pulling a different coach next year.

My $0.02
Old 06-28-2005, 03:13 AM   #19

I don't think I would be happy getting anything welded to my pinbox. The next owner may not want or need that option. I dern sure wouldn't be happy with a dealer welding something on without my consent.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:07 AM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by charliez:
I don't think I would be happy getting anything welded to my pinbox. The next owner may not want or need that option. I dern sure wouldn't be happy with a dealer welding something on without my consent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you set up the appointment to have that particular hitch installed, you have already given consent, as long as it is installed per the directions.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:56 AM   #21

Not if those instructions say to bolt it. What if I decide to trade vehicles and go with a long bed and want to take the slider off? Then I'll have to grind and cut the welds.

Besides, I would ask how they plan to do it before hand, which many people don't.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:00 PM   #22

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by charliez:
Not if those instructions say to bolt it. What if I decide to trade vehicles and go with a long bed and want to take the slider off? Then I'll have to grind and cut the welds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And those directions say to weld it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Besides, I would ask how they plan to do it before hand, which many people don't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You, sir, would be one of the few. Most people blindly hand over the keys, without doing any research, and fly off the handle when they see the finished product.

How would you feel if you were to drop a couple thousand dollars on a hitch installed in your truck, advertised as leaving the bed totally empty when the hitch is removed, only to find that you are left with four 2" holes in your bed? If you were to haul any gravel, you wouldn't have a hard time finding your way back to where you started. These things are what the customer fails to ask about. It is what we are left to deal with after the salesman has had their way with them.

Yes, we hate (most) sales people just as bad as you do.

Whenever I have the chance to talk to a customer about a repair or installation beforehand, I try and get the customer to understand exactly what it is they are getting for their dollar. I don't like suprises any more than they do.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:15 AM   #23

This is why I preach to everyone I can to become as educated as possible about whatever it is your doing. Nailing a board or putting in a hitch, dosen't matter. I even questioned my salesman about his service guy bolting my hitch together and tightening each bolt as he put it in. He ended up with the hitch not strait and it wouldn't settle into my rails very well. Of course I just so happen to have a sledge in the back from another project, and his suggestions was to just give it a good swat each time I put in in. My reply was to loosen the bolts and make it fit right. I even ended up adjusting it more at home with some shims to make it fit perfect.