Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2014, 05:19 PM   #15

It is a good idea to have enough tow vehicle that you can bring it to a stop with the trailer even if the trailer brakes are not working or your trailer does not have brakes. My Chevy Tahoe took forever to bring to a stop with a 3,000 lb. trailer in tow. I did not consider it safe to have in heavy traffic as even with a safe distance between the Tahoe and the next car there would always be some joker that would wake up and realize they were going to miss their exit and pull in front of me and hit their brakes. The factory tow load rating on cars and SUV's is far higher than I would consider safe. That is where eventually we will have the benefit of the SAE developed J2807 test procedure where tow vehicles are tested with actual tow loads in place. Makes all the difference in the world when looking at acceleration times and stopping distances.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2014, 09:12 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhornsun View Post
It is a good idea to have enough tow vehicle that you can bring it to a stop with the trailer even if the trailer brakes are not working or your trailer does not have brakes. My Chevy Tahoe took forever to bring to a stop with a 3,000 lb. trailer in tow. I did not consider it safe to have in heavy traffic as even with a safe distance between the Tahoe and the next car there would always be some joker that would wake up and realize they were going to miss their exit and pull in front of me and hit their brakes. The factory tow load rating on cars and SUV's is far higher than I would consider safe. That is where eventually we will have the benefit of the SAE developed J2807 test procedure where tow vehicles are tested with actual tow loads in place. Makes all the difference in the world when looking at acceleration times and stopping distances.
The new towing standards are really only a means of leveling the playing field for consumer comparison purposes. Their main focus is performance- folks are getting an apples-to-apples means of determining how much the rig can move/tow/control under specific conditions. No more having to find out the hard way that the new pickup you just bought for a tug can only do 35 mph on an uphill grade!

Requirements are minimal when it comes to braking an "unbraked" trailer- vehicles need only stop an unbraked trailer within the distance specified below, and from a mere 20 mph. I think it likely that regardless of type, most vehicles can already do that if towing within mfr. stated limits.

Quote:
Braking Requirements under SAE J-2807

The test vehicle and trailer must stay within an 11.5 foot wide traffic lane during stopping tests. Stopping requirements from 20 mph without use of trailer brakes are;
1. in 35 feet or less with a tow rating of 3,000 lbs or less and no trailer brake requirement
2. in 45 feet or less with a tow rating of 3,000 lbs or less and a requirement for trailer brakes
3. in 80 feet or less for tow ratings above 3,000 lbs
The parking brake must be capable of holding the rig on 12 percent up and down grades
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:29 AM   #17

Nor'easters Club
yeah, I have to agree, stopping from 20 mph is pretty pointless. What about if you are traveling at 55, someone cuts in front of you and your trailer brakes dont work? I would imagine any braking system will heat up quick in a panic stop like that. once they are too hot, they stop stopping. A truck has a much bigger brake system than a crossover or a light duty suv. Just means you need to pay attention to your safety.

Everyone says my setup is overkill, and by the numbers it is. But the point is I feel very safe with my setup and never have to worry about getting up a grade or stopping the trailer on a panic stop. To me, the more room I have between the actual weight and the max weight the better. Just my opinion
Old 05-19-2014, 08:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneracin View Post
yeah, I have to agree, stopping from 20 mph is pretty pointless. What about if you are traveling at 55, someone cuts in front of you and your trailer brakes dont work? I would imagine any braking system will heat up quick in a panic stop like that. once they are too hot, they stop stopping. A truck has a much bigger brake system than a crossover or a light duty suv. Just means you need to pay attention to your safety.

Everyone says my setup is overkill, and by the numbers it is. But the point is I feel very safe with my setup and never have to worry about getting up a grade or stopping the trailer on a panic stop. To me, the more room I have between the actual weight and the max weight the better. Just my opinion
Thumbs up on overkill. Being borderline just isn't worth it. We travel a lot between OH and FL and some of the things we see are flat out crazy. I think it has to do with some folk finding an incredible deal on a TT...the larger the better, right? Not realizing what it takes to safely tow that trailer. I'm no expert by any means. I know from personal experience going through something similar. At the time, I was lucky enough to have funds to sell my vehicle and buy something that was safer. I know a lot of folk hide under the, "my vehicle can handle the weight/length" therefore it can tow it. Same thing I thought until I got into a hairy situation and realized it was not safe. Look around when you are traveling, you'll see them out there.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:59 AM   #19

Old 05-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin-B View Post
That is one cute mini RV. Please don't tell me you are towing that with a Fiat Pop.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:51 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
That is one cute mini RV. Please don't tell me you are towing that with a Fiat Pop.
This is my rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vista Cruiser small.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	576.3 KB
ID:	63296  
Old 05-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin-B View Post
This is my rig.
Nice.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:20 AM   #23

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGuy1966 View Post
I have 7900 lbs pull cap. with wd. would a 25 footer be pullable? its a six banger engine.
Good question, LOL how much does a 25 footer weigh??? DUH
Old 05-20-2014, 06:32 PM   #24

well,the dry weight was about 5500 lbs and there was a eazlift wdh for it. only two people in the truck topping out at about 300 lbs. maybe about 250 lbs of bring alongs....

5500 plus 300 plus 250 equals about 6050 or so. after checking the trans ratio it didnt look good and the truck would be maxed put even though the tag said 7100 lbs max with WD. even if I could pull it safely the engine and trans would not last long and I would be afraid of the brakes being a bit overtaxed.

we changed our plans and have a completely different TT and TV.
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:26 AM   #25

Quote:
well,the dry weight was about 5500 lbs and there was a eazlift wdh for it. only two people in the truck topping out at about 300 lbs. maybe about 250 lbs of bring alongs....

5500 plus 300 plus 250 equals about 6050 or so. after checking the trans ratio it didnt look good and the truck would be maxed put even though the tag said 7100 lbs max with WD. even if I could pull it safely the engine and trans would not last long and I would be afraid of the brakes being a bit overtaxed.

we changed our plans and have a completely different TT and TV.
I believe that was a good and responsible call.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:12 AM   #26

Nor'easters Club
Sounds like a good decision. You will be much happier with an educated purchase.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:12 PM   #27

what can a trailblazer pull

Quote:
I have 7900 lbs pull cap. with wd. would a 25 footer be pullable? its a six banger engine.
A friend has a 6cylinder Trailblazer he just bought an Escape 21ft model. Escapes are Molded Fiberglass Travel trailers designed to be pulled by medium size vehicles. they are built in Chillwack,BC Canada.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0231.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	63757  
H-Rambler25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy