RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2020, 11:37 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
What is problem with a slightly overloaded TV

I have a 2020 F350 SRW SB Diesel Limited with a sticker cargo weight of 3388 I have been towing a fifth wheel with a dry pin wt spec of 26500. We are not full timers and usually carry the regular type stuff. We have an Andersen hitch at 35-40 pounds. Usually carry 2 people plus 2 golden Retrievers. I am guessing my loaded cargo weight is about 3500 -3600 pounds. The truck pulls great, is very stable, and has no problem stopping quickly. Does this seem ok or is there something I am missing.
ccrewstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2020, 11:51 AM   #2

Suggest you have it weighed. Every axle or better yet every wheel. Last thing you need is a overloaded tire and a blowout. You may find that you need to move a few things, run with empty tanks.

You are wise to be concerned. Too many don't or take bad advice.
Xmcdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 01:15 PM   #3

I towed 200 lbs over GVWR for 6 years. Not one issue. Well under the tire rating, RAWR and GCVWR. Oregon keeps it's remote scales open and it's easy to pull in and check weights. YMMV
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 01:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrewstx View Post
Does this seem ok or is there something I am missing.

Two, perhaps, not closely related issues:

1. Is it safe?

2. If I am involved in an accident with an overloaded vehicle, what are the ramifications?
Old 11-16-2020, 01:32 PM   #5

I would imagine your truck has:
GVWR 10,600#
FAWR 5,250#
RAWR 7,280#

You MIGHT be over the MFGs GVWR (which is NOT a 'Legal' issue)
BUT highly DOUBT you are near/exceeding the RAWR/ Tires Max Load Rating (which are a 'Legal' issue)

Load up Camp Ready...fuel, you/her the dogs, all the stuff you take with you
Go to CAT Scales and get weighed TWICE
Once with truck trailer combo
Drop trailer in parking lot and go back for 'reweigh' (Free)

Between the TWO weigh tickets you will have all the weight numbers you need ....
Front Axle (steer) with and w/o trailer
Rear Axle (drive) with and w/o trailer
Trailer axles weights
Truck total weight with and w/o trailer ---- difference will be WET Pin weight of trailer

Simple....Cheap ($10/$15) and you get real actual weight vs guessing
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:06 PM   #6

Quote:
I have a 2020 F350 SRW SB Diesel Limited with a sticker cargo weight of 3388 I have been towing a fifth wheel with a dry pin wt spec of 26500. We are not full timers and usually carry the regular type stuff. We have an Andersen hitch at 35-40 pounds. Usually carry 2 people plus 2 golden Retrievers. I am guessing my loaded cargo weight is about 3500 -3600 pounds. The truck pulls great, is very stable, and has no problem stopping quickly. Does this seem ok or is there something I am missing.

Getting every tire weighed is a problem . Not too many places to do that . Just get an axle weight and you should be ok . 3500 SRW My water is in the rear . I run it full helps with the pin weight . G rated on the trailer . Hundred gallons of fuel 14000 lb 5thwheel trailer . Pulling it since 14 . Thousands and thousands of miles without a problem . J
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:07 PM   #7

Quote:
I guess you mean 2650 lbs dry pin? You will need a train and track for 26500 lbs pin weight. Really need to get the rig weigh, as long as you are under all your axle ratings, you should be fine. But why your F350 only has 3388 lbs payload, is it a platinum or king ranch with all possible bell and whistle? Did you factor all other aftermarket items? Like airbags, bed liners, tonneau covers, etc?
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:21 PM   #8
JDT

His GVWR should be 11,500 with the F350. I shopped the short bed diesels before I bought my long bed and his payload is on par with what I saw for some models. Seems like the Platinums were generally less than 3300. Only way to know where he stands is get it weighed, fully loaded for a trip. Our pin weight gained over 600 pounds, from around 2500 listed to 3100 loaded but that includes adding a Splendide washer/dryer in the front closet. Add in some stuff, a couple of people, the dogs and a hitch and I'm guessing his estimate of 3500 to 3600 is not far off.

By the way, that Alliance 340RL was on our wish list but never could find one within a reasonable distance to pay a visit.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:44 PM   #9

kinda wondering about this myself. my laramie only has 1324# cargo cap. I am always at or close to that number when towing our trailer but when I hook up, the truck only sags about an inch in the back and of course after I hook up WDH, all is level. seems like I could toss in a few more things the wife tries to get me to add. she sees that extra space in the bed and doesnt buy my explanation that we are maxed out
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:28 PM   #10

As long as your aren't overloading your tires or axles you are fine. Being over the GVWR is not an issue. Just about every truck carrying a TC is over their GVWR. I ran that way with my truck camper for many years thru 20 some states and thousands of miles. I was 13,000 pounds on a truck with a GVWR of 11,400.
Further, most "hot shot" truck drivers that use 3500 duallys to pull GN flatbeds hauling commercially are generally over their GVWR. They haul close to 100,000 miles a year that way. They routinely go thru DOT inspection and weigh stations with no problem. GVWR is NOT a legal issue. Axle and tire weights are.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
kinda wondering about this myself. my laramie only has 1324# cargo cap. I am always at or close to that number when towing our trailer but when I hook up, the truck only sags about an inch in the back and of course after I hook up WDH, all is level. seems like I could toss in a few more things the wife tries to get me to add. she sees that extra space in the bed and doesnt buy my explanation that we are maxed out

TT and WDH...weight can be 'distributed'

OP has 5th wheel....pin weight is carried by trucks rear axle
Little weight if any added to front axle

My 5vr pin weight does add 150# to front axle...because I set up my hitch 2" forward of rear axle center line so some weight would be added to front axle
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:56 AM   #12

Just saying - the new GM J2804 SAE towing sticker tells you more towing and load information. It does not go by rear axle or tire limits. It goes by the structured testing that SAE requires.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:07 AM   #13

Quote:
So another case of not enough TV out the door!
The weight of the 5er will only grow over time, that 2,530# pin will just get heavier.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:10 AM   #14

Quote:
This is my take on your issue.

What I would do is weigh your truck and trailer at a certified scale. You will be provided a read out of the following weights. Steer axle X.XXX LBS, Drive axle X.XXX LBS (this is the rear axle of the truck), Trailer Axle XX.XXX LBS (both axles together are weighed) and the Gross Weight XX.XXX LBS ( both truck and trailer weight combined).

Now if the drive axle weigh does not exceed the GAWR of your truck or the combined tire loading weight of the rear axle tires, than you are not overloaded.

This is all that matters the rest is hyperbola that the weight police try to confuse everyone on. The DOT scale houses (on the side of the road) only check for the following three items to insure you are not overloaded. Axle weights, tire weights and does the truck licenses plates have the proper fees paid for the weight they are either towing or carrying.

Tags
light, problem