Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2015, 05:11 AM   #15

Diesel virgin here. Sounds like they kick the octane out of gasoline towing rigs..
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2015, 09:41 AM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooter View Post
With a gas rig you can actually open the windows sitting in traffic.......and keep your wallet closed more often.
My '14 Cummins with DPF and DEF can sit in traffic with the windows open until some other nearby vehicle is either too loud or too stinky.

Maintenance doesn't have to be more expensive than a gasser. I change oil every 15K, even though I could stretch it out as much as 5K further (according to oil testing at blackstone labs).

Where I am living now, it is not hard to find diesel that is cheaper than gasoline. Add in the better fuel mileage, and it's a winning combination.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooter View Post
With a gas rig you can actually open the windows sitting in traffic.......and keep your wallet closed more often.

When was the last time you were in a newer diesel powered truck??? Roll the window down in traffic and diesels are as quiet as a gasser...NO diesel smell either.. I believe if you check, comparing apples to apples, towing same weights, diesels will get better mpg,,,and even empty, mpg isn't shabby..your reasoning is dated.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
My '14 Cummins with DPF and DEF can sit in traffic with the windows open until some other nearby vehicle is either too loud or too stinky.

Maintenance doesn't have to be more expensive than a gasser. I change oil every 15K, even though I could stretch it out as much as 5K further (according to oil testing at blackstone labs).

Where I am living now, it is not hard to find diesel that is cheaper than gasoline. Add in the better fuel mileage, and it's a winning combination.
agree...
Old 10-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Hauler View Post
When was the last time you were in a newer diesel powered truck??? Roll the window down in traffic and diesels are as quiet as a gasser...NO diesel smell either.. I believe if you check, comparing apples to apples, towing same weights, diesels will get better mpg,,,and even empty, mpg isn't shabby..your reasoning is dated.
Perhaps the unmodded newer rigs are quiet, but I never find myself rolling up the windows next to a gas rig unless the sterio is booming. Diesel fuel stinks!!!!! Being a commercial driver who pumps 50-100 gallons a night you are not going to convince me otherwise.
Pooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:37 PM   #20

I think the original question was which one is better for towing, not which one smells better.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:25 PM   #21

Best tow vehicle is always bigger than you think you need! If you think you are near the limit of your tow vehicle, you are probably over it! Max length for 1/2 ton truck, for novice, is about 25' and about 6,500 trailer GVWR. Above that is 2500 territory. 9,000 # GVWR trailer is getting into diesel engine territory. These are my options for travel trailers. 5th wheel trailers are often towed with trucks that are really inadequate for their size because 2500 trucks can pull, but not support their mass. Bigger 5th wheels really need dually 3500 or even bigger trucks. Safety 1st!

Yes, sometimes people do tow with less, but for your safty and mine, get more truck than you need.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:37 PM   #22

^^^^^^,
I couldn't have said it better. Now if people would only listen to you. Well done.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Hauler View Post
Hey welcome aboard!
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by justafordguy View Post
I think the original question was which one is better for towing, not which one smells better.
And he also asked which was more reliable. Gas definitely has a better track record for reliability in the last 10 years. I don't see threads on bullit proofing gas motors . IMO you can not answer the op's question without more info. If you tow less than 6000lbs I would say gas is a better choice for most people. Does it pull stronger ? No , but in that example if is good enough and considerblycheaper to buy and own. If you drive around empty most of the time , or tow light diesel is a waste. ........and it stinks.
Pooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:54 AM   #25

Been driving Diesels for 25 years and none of my cars and truck stinks. There is to many drivers that idle their Diesels for nothing and the Diesel stink gets in every where. The carpets and seats stink of Diesel exhaust.
As for best towing rig is to program a Diesel to the max with a safe and proven Hypertech Max Energy and watch the fuel savings while forgetting how heavy one can tow. Driving at 70 with 23000 lb rig feels like empty. Can't do that with a gas.
But I do own my truck no payments and budget $1000 per year repairs and maintenance. Same as I always did all my life the past 45 years.
A wise man once told me if a person does not stop maintaining his vehicle it will last until the body falls apart. Been doing it all my !life and never regretted it.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:13 PM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
[QUOTE=caissiel;2774208As for best towing rig is to program a Diesel to the max with a safe and proven Hypertech Max Energy and watch the fuel savings while forgetting how heavy one can tow.[/QUOTE]
That's an interesting option. It's not available for my TV, '14 Ram 2500. Any reasons why, anyone?

Not that I'm gung-ho to try to fix something that doesn't seem broken to me.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:17 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Bigger the tow vehicle the better the tow vehicle the tow vechiles are bigger at PETERBUILT. URL used to be Trail-hauler dot com but alas. I have not had much luck with that URL lately Wil-Ro dot com is the company that used to sell them and likely still could.

Oh, You buy one of those you do not ever ask "Can my truck tow this?"
Old 10-07-2015, 08:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
That's an interesting option. It's not available for my TV, '14 Ram 2500. Any reasons why, anyone?

Not that I'm gung-ho to try to fix something that doesn't seem broken to me.
Hypertech took 2 years to developed the Ford 6.7 and 9 months or more for the 6.0 that has upgrades almost every year. Keeping up with the Ford revisions and their own.
Actually I had my heads off today for new gaskets and ARP studs and my engine while seeping a bit of pressure in the coolant, looked really great for the milles. Much better then I have seen in my previous Diesels. So the Hypertech has been great for my truck.

Tags
tow